1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgendered Children

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lucy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Lucy

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3088298&page=1

this story makes me so happy :slight_smile:

But some of the comments under it are a little disturbing. And it's totally irrelevant, but there was a lesbian woman that posted somthing about bisexuality being a disease. I know it's not unheard of even within the gay community, but what the hell???

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember seeing the Barbara Walters special on that little girl in the picture. The whole story was real moving, it really made you think about how these young people already know so much about themselves and how they are just trying to live however they are most comfortable. I must admit I wish I was that self aware at such a young age.

3. mattyrusso

Aww that's so nice! Its awesome that the parents are so accepting. The little girl is so pretty too

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it quite interesting that Jazz knew from such a young age, and seems pretty clear spoken on this issue. Good for her!

5. Shevanel

These are the 2 comments the OP was talking about. But I think the 2nd one is somewhat a parody of the first one showing the ignorance of the first one. I mean, if it wasn't a parody, and she actually believed what she said, then the whole rest of her comment would negate that, wouldn't it? See Bold. I think she was just trying to prove a point, Hopefully she doesn't believe that though.

But on Topic, I think it's really interesting, I guess her life will be a lot easier having figured this out early on. Good for her :slight_smile:

6. Nitro

In addition to one being a parody of this other (as demonstrate in the response above mine), I should like to point out that neither user has posted a comment on any story before or since. It is quite possible the first is what is known as a "concern troll".

7. Lychee

Naaww, that's a really cute story !!

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have a friend who is an advocate for transgender children. She is a mother of a transgender child herself. These trans kids do so much better growing up when they are allowed to live in the gender that they want to. Those people are talking from ignorance who wrote those nasty comments.

9. Mickey

I applaud her parents for their wisdom and for totally supporting
    their daughter. I have trans friends,so I know what they go through.
    When you look at this child,no way does she look like a boy,in the slightest.

10. Miles D

Yup, I've seen this before. makes me SQUEE inside.
    I just wish I had the kind of childhood where I was encouraged to be myself more, and then I might have known earlier in my life.

11. starfish

That story was very touching. Thanks for posting it.

I would take that a step further and say that all kids do much better when they are allowed to be who they truly are.

Someone told me something very significant about parenting today. There are 2 kinds of parents, educating and policing. Educating parents teach their kids about the world and will guide them for a while. Ultimately they allow their children to decide what is right and wrong, and who they are.

Policing parents pretty much control their kids lives. "Because I said so", or "those are the rules" is a common thing to hear. The kids are not allowed to decide for themselves what is right and wrong, and who they are. They are taught to obey and that any deviation will be punished.

My parents were very strongly the policing type. In fact I think most parents are. It has taken me 10 years to figure out that I control my life and I am allowed to be my true self. It has been awkward for me because lots of little things are changing.

I just remember growing up. That I just could not wait to get out of the house so that I could have own opinions on things. I did not like the person I was forced to become, and I am so thankful that I can finally become who I truly am.

12. pianolover95

thats so great of the parents. :slight_smile:

13. -Michael-

Awwwh bless

14. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents like that, supportive are non-judgemental, are what this world needs more of. Thank goodness we have at least a few.

15. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have just a slight twinge of uneasiness about this story. And perhaps everyone will rip my head off for this, but I find it very difficult to fathom a 2 year old understanding what "genitalia" are. I can well imagine that many transgender individuals identify themselves from a very early age but 2. I always look at things like this and take a huge step back. Why the hell have the family sold the story to the media in the first place! Sure...allowing their child to identify herself as a female is very endearing but publisizing the issue to the world completely contradicts their message of protecting their child. Now perhaps some will say that by broadcasting their lives they are in essence coming out and showing other parents that its OK to have a transgender child. But to that I will say that it is not their choice to do that. It is Jazz's choice to come out when she's older, not theirs!

16. Just Adam

45i actually understand you point and agree. i would think a 2yr old would think somthing not right and would try to imitate the girls as thats how she feels she belongs...but specific details at that age i dont see it :S....

ive never heard of a child having that clear an idae of sexuality at such a young age:S

who knows though stranger things happen

17. Lychee

I watched the documentary about this, after reading the thread, it was quite good. It's on youtube. It seems quite plausible. The reason that the family spoke up is because they want to raise awareness about the issue.

18. Just Adam

i love awareness of things but i think they need to think babout her life more than awareness as she may encounter negativeness from people :frowning2: she needs to be prepared for it and at a young age i dont know how you can be :frowning2: im not sure you could comprehend how beeing what you are upsets people so much :S