1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil partnership bill published in Ireland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Apocalypte, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Apocalypte

The bill - this still has to go to a vote

Irish Times article

While giving some recognition to our relationships *is* progress, especially here - it's still incredibly frustrating that this seems to be as far as our government is willing to go. When will people realise that "separate but equal" is not true equality?

2. Just Adam

wow get civil partnered a term i murder at : | ........ and you can now get a joint mortgage :S

what a waste of time i agree seperaete but equal is nothing but seperate....

why cant they just have state marriage that has all the same laws and resposibilities as religious marriage but without religion beeing involved so all the nuts saying your going to hell can be quiet as it doesent have nothign to do with them.....

you can still be religious but just not drag it into the marriage this however doesent diminish the oaths you take to love honor and protect each other XD

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It is a step, but to me it's not really marriage unless it's called that by your state/ province and/or nation.

4. Alex19

thats how i feel here in the states... i wish we could get married averywhere and not in just 6 states. my state will b voting on it again, but i dont think it will go through even though a majority of my state is in favor of gay marriage.

but then we have to deal with things like DOMA that must be destroyed. Although, progress, even though slowly, is being made. As the world sees that the places that have it are not falling into chaos, i believe eyes will begin to open.

5. Emberstone

"When will people realise that "separate but equal" is not true equality?"

When religious fundementalist zealots are pushed from public office.

6. Apocalypte

Funnily enough - our minister for justice, who submitted this bill, opposed the decriminalisation of homosexuality in 1993 and has links to right-wing Catholic groups...

Religion makes me go :bang:

7. Emberstone

I dont view religion as evil. I view evil people as evil for turning religion into something evil.

8. Nitro

While any step forward is a nice step forward, it is sad to see that the distinctions made must also include matters pertaining to rights. Hopefully as they see that countries that do have same-sex marriage are not swallowed up by the ocean in supernatural wrath, babies were no more likely to be eaten, and the mythical car-human marriage lobby fails to appear, true equality can be offered.

9. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Small steps at a time. I think we just have to keep striving for equality.

10. Just Adam

yep it can state marriage & relgious marriage its simple but politicians know the right wing you burn in hell lot will still bitch about it even though it has nothign to do with them... they love to sit on the fence playing the crowd.

11. acorn7

What baffles me is that choose civil partnerships insteand of marriage despite the huge public support FOR gay marriage:

Article here.

12. Just Adam

like i say politicians love sitting on the fence saying crap doing shite all... its modern day democracy in action :slight_smile:

13. dexxy

Out Status:
    A few people
    i was at dublin pride parade today, everyone was protesting for marriage equality. it was great to see that people are doing something to get equality.

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That's wonderful, hopefully the politicians will listen.

15. Apocalypte

Cool - I was there too. You going to be at the next LGBT Noise protest in August?