1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India thinking of decriminalising homosexuality!!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ccdd, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

2. Emberstone

That is very interesting, as India is a very socially conservative, family orientated country. A important part of societal responciblities was to get married. for those who followed it as a religious requirement, in hinduisem, finding a suitable wife was important to a male of certain castes, because by bearing a son, they were honering their ancestors. of course for the most part, the caste system is now illegal in most parts of the country, but ritual, both religious and societial, is still very common.

It is good to see that they are taking steps towards equality. india has been growing ever more democratic in the past decades.

if only some christians here in the states would stop trying to turn back the clock to a time when it was not illegal to kill gay people *I.E. that south carolina hypocritetical bish who said enacting laws that gave sharp punishment to people to attack and kill people on the basis of sexial orientation was, in her inarticulate, hatehumper words "thought control"*

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is awesome news!

4. Fiender

And I was thinking of cleaning my room;
    Doesn't mean its going to happen.
    :dry:

5. Lol someone's sarcastic. Even just them thinking about it is surprising coming from them.

6. Garrett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is great! Isn't one of their princes gay? I saw it on Oprah.

7. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being half-Indian, I follow up on the news in India.

Unfortunately, they've been "thinking" of decriminalizing homosexuality for a long time now. There is a serious health problem because AIDS activists cannot actively promote safe sex between men-who-have-sex-with-men (MSM) because they are underground. The health minister at one point suggested the law, section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (which was written by the British in 1860 in the Victorian era when people covered up the legs of tables with long tablecloths because even those were immodest) says that "unnatual or carnal acts" are to be punished severely.

The quoted article says that there is expected to be a ruling by the Delhi High Court sometime soon, but at the rate at which the DHC works, it would take 60 years to review all the cases that are backed up.

Interestingly, India did not sign the UN agreement to stop descrimination against homosexuality. Neighboring Nepal also punished it severely under its monarchy but after the monarchy was abolished and a liberal republic was installed, it was decriminalized and gay marriage was allowed by the Supreme Court. Hopefully, India can learn from its neighbor.

India's people are socially conservative, but often India culture isn't. Over time, with Islamic and British values, the sexually charged nature of many Indian customs, myths, rituals, and art were kind of shoved under the carpet. There are many temples with wall carvings with orgies depicted openly (including homosexual ones).

8. Just Adam

its good to hear its still beeing thinked about just a shame there are slow thinkers

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I would love it if this happened, one step at a time

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I hope this is true, this would surely be progress in that region of the world.