1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama holds gay pride reception

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, Jun 30, 2009.

1. EM68

2. Ronnie92

Now personally I like Obama. I think right now he has been preoccupied witht the whole economy mess, but he will honor his promises.

3. JakeBHT

I'm with Obama especially over "mcane" however you spell his name! he has done everything I wanted in an American president so far; lets hope he keeps it up!

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definetly a start. I am now feeling confident he will at least attempt to follow through with his promises to the LGBT community. In the meantime, it is nice to see he is actually acknowledging us instead of ignoring us like past presidents.

5. D_Alejandro

He still needs to do more. I'm still waiting....

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I really like Barack i just think we he speaks you can trust him which is rare in a politician

7. hiker360

I wish the best for Obama and hopefully he'll get through the econimc mess and keep to his promises. High Hopes for Obama :slight_smile:

8. ANightDude

I know he's trying, but of course he's got two wars and a country crumbling around him. I understand why it's not the first thing on his list. It's nice to know he's still around for us. :slight_smile:

9. Just Adam

hes still pissing me off he keeps saying yea were looking at it.....jsut get on with it stop doing photo ops saying im so pro lgbt and actually work on it :frowning2:

i hate beeing a downer but he needs to get on with it DADT and DOMA are human rights issues. start beeing morally superior and be the land of the free and get marriage and rights for all

also a problem i have is he keeps saying the lgbt plight is like the african americans and their strugle...... i know its just how im reading into it but its liek hes saying theres no black lgbt people and if there are now there jsut that they lose all other recognition...i shouldent read into that but i do .... :frowning2:

come on obama i need you to do this so my country and so many others see the light :frowning2:

10. Prccgeek

I really like him. a lot! not just cuz of his lgbt promises, but I just think he is a great president. I am really glad a president is finally showing some support to the lgbt community. I think he will come through for us. This gay pride reception convices me of that even more! However, i fully understand that he has other things to deal with, like the economy, that affect everyone. I don't think he is going to focus as much on any specific group of people until he figures out a way to make sure our country is economically safe. yay obama:eusa_clap

11. Emberstone

after the last president, I think in general it is easy to like obama... expecially when you consider the republican's alternative in 08.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Grammar...

Uh....an above poster took the words out of my mouth. He's grappling with two wars, Iranian president, Korean relations, a crumbling country and that's just the start of his problems. He's got a major clean up to do from Bush's cabinet. Of course LGBTQ stuff is pretty far down on priorities. I honestly think he'll fix those at the end of his term.

Why?

Because doing so would jeopardize his standing with many right wingers and doing it at the end of a term can't really hurt his power too much since it'd already be ending. He hasn't even been in office a year yet...people need to be patient, considerate and remember there are more important things. Though he will get to them, I'm sure. You don't want another lame duck do you? :confused:;

Wait. You're not even American. :eek:
    :roflmao:

I've never gotten that message from him about black LGBTQ peoples. Maybe you're taking that the wrong way? I've never even heard that from black guys or gay black guys and I know a few. I think you're misconstruing his words.

Are you black?

13. Just Adam

no i aint black i aint nothing. it dont matter what he said i suppose in the context.
    i just want him to stop saying hell do summat and do it,

waiting till end of term or second term to do it because you need to play around teh right wing nutters doesent make you a great president takeing a stand does if you get out there that these are basic human rights people deserve and are intitled to have. at very least if they arent forced by public oppinion to side with you theyd look like the bad guys if they opposed and youd get your second term anyway...but thats just my views i know they dont matter and why should they i aint american i aint nothing, i just want things to be better.

and im sorry my grammer is non existent.

14. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Your views are valued though and they do matter. :slight_smile:

You don't have to be American to want the President to do better.

And it's okay, I love your non-existent grammar. It makes you unique.
    :kiss:

Happy 4th.

15. Just Adam

well its happy 5th here lol but thanks :kiss: to you too

16. peaceLOVEandNYC

it was really nice of him to give gays a WHOLE MONTH of recognition.

gee, brilliant.

:dry:

17. Alex19

so long as he gets around to our rights. i especially cant wait till DOMA is repealed. thatll teach the 'religious right'.

18. j1013

j1013 Guest

O-BAM-A, Im not american but I love obama!!!

19. N3p7uN3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy Canada Day too.

I must agree a little Adam. First of all, the American president does not make laws in the country, the Congress does. Obama's publicity will hopefully persuade the two houses to vote for pro-LGBT legislation, but I think people should realize that the president does not make laws, especially marriage laws, which are at state legislation.

20. Just Adam

i know he doesent make laws he is in many ways a figure head ....like in movies teh presidents like why didnt i know about this..need to know sorry... the real powers allways in the bowls of a govt

but he shouldent say yea DADT and DORMA have to go i will get rid of them i will do this and that and be your champion....yada yada yada if he cant do it and wont get on with it.... its one thing to not be able to do it yourself but ive not heard anythig of him getting around people saying come on people this aint right...he just says alot to the press from what i see and that aint cool....

ioh i give up lol faith in the system i must of been nuts