1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Def. Sec. Gates Tries to make ban on gay's more flexible

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by the ry guy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was listening to big gay news' podcast on itunes (biggaynews.com), and Def. Sec. Robert Gates is pushing to make the ban on gay's in the military more flexible in the sense that if you don't out yourself you can't be prosecuted. So if an ex-lover, family/friend, or fellow soldier out's you, you can't be prosecuted because YOU weren't open about it and technically doesn't violate DADT. It would also, keep gay/lesbian soldier's from being blackmailed a definite plus.

just thought i should throw this out there

2. RaRa

Or, you know, they could just serve openly.

3. ANightDude

Well it's still a step up from nothing. They should repeal it, but its a nice start.

4. Just Adam

starts that dont get you to the end arent worth starting

this is another administration kicking i dont like its the old political game give them a bit not what they should have, once again trying to play both sides.

just because you out yourself doesent change attitudes when your outed what kind of protection do you have while serving? i mean anti discrimination anti bullying legal rights protection from superiors etc...

yea you cant be kicked if you keep your mouth shut and if someone else trys to use it against you they cant but it can still make life hell for you. until they havea proper open system that doesent make your sexuality a negative thing to be hushed up in the military this just isnt good enough :frowning2:

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

They should just repeal DADT, its stupid.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oddly enough DADT is a step up from nothing. Prior they could directly ask, and you had to answer, and generally consequences were much worse.

Indeed, otherwise you might get stuck with a bizarre halfway measure still on the books 16 years later.

I think during Obama's stay DADT will be repealed, but we may have to be patient. This isn't his only issue, and there is also the fact that he has to deal with this thing called "The real world", which entails this nastier thing called "politics"

7. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

how the hell is making a ban more flexible good? IT IS STILL A BAN! DADT stands for what this country is not. Leaving it in, with flexablility just allows more room to discriminate when it is convenient.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it will help highlight the absurdity of it. If they can't discharge you because you were outed, then that means you continue serving with them, while openly gay.

But if you continue serving, then that means that your peers will know, but it will highlight the fact that it doesn't harm unit cohesiveness and morality (Which are points used to argue against homosexuality in the military) because obviously you can still function as a unit. Much like the people who do serve, right now, openly, even with DADT in place. Which will highlight the fact that DADT is complete bunk.

9. Just Adam

but im more concerned for the oute dparty as like i said this measure wont change attitudes withen the forces and wont have emasure to stop negative backlash...

i dont mean to genralise, but alot of soldiers aer from the south ... where they are raised to serve... and well arent the most tolelrant should we say theis group of the unit will find a problem serving along side a gay person...

it might be just me but i think it will be a hostile tense atmosphere and i still dotn know what protection a soldier would get from it i just keep thinking code reds ( a few good men) damn tom cruise .... but still its hard to think this will change attitudes withen a unit it just means a soldier is going to be there for the backlash :frowning2:

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, yes, and these arguments were used against blacks serving in the armed forces. Some of the top cheese have reinforced DADT by saying "Most of the people joining the forces are extremely conservative, and come from a strong Judeo-Christian background are are very intolerant of others"

Oddly, in the real world, this hasn't been the case. The forces are as varied as the country is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqs-5z_y9Q

11. Just Adam

i didnt say all soldiers were intollerant but there are som that are its just how this is all im saying is this fiddleing with DADT wont help that, it only takes a few people of negative attitude to make someones life unpleasent, until they allow peopel to serve openly and be protected from discriminatin withen the ranks on any level then tehres work to do.