1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maine rules in favor of young transgender

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kenko, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/109732.html

"The Maine Human Rights Commission ruled Monday that the Orono School Department discriminated against a transgender child by denying her access to the girls bathroom."

A lot of comments consist of "girls use girls, boys use boys. It's COMMON SENSE", "What's the world coming to with the gay agenda", "The bible", "I don't want my daughter in the same bathroom as that THING". There's also a few detailed, well articulated posts by Transgendered people.

I never understood this big hangup on bathroom divisions. First it further emphasize that we MUST keep normal body functions SECRET, and of course "Think of the pervert boys wanting to look at girls". Clearly that argument ignores stealth homosexuals using the anatomically "correct" washroom.

But seriously, why can't we just have one large co-ed washroom facility? Urinals for those that wish to use them, toilets for those that wish to use those, if you pee on the seat that's punishable by death (as it should be anyways).

2. littledinosaurs

A. It opens up people to harassment of all kinds, but especially sexual.
    B. In schools it'd provide a place for people to hook up more easily (Cause it does in fact happen with gays in single sex bathrooms) And the Administration does not want that.
    C. It is a terrible idea to have urinals in a co-ed bathroom. AWKWARD.
    D. Twice the people in the same size bathroom = nasty to clean up.

I personally prefer the single room unisex bathroom in the nurses office at school, it's cleaner and always stocked.

Edit: I do think all people should use the bathroom of the gender they identify most with, I just don't think co-ed bathrooms are a particularly good idea.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm too tired to address the first two points except to say, by that logic, maybe us gays should be forced to use separate bathrooms?

c) refers back to that evil taboo of keeping normal bodily functions super top secret.

d) The bathroom would be double the size since it'd be one big one instead of two smaller ones. Same volume of mess, one room. Or just more rooms to choose from. Ideal in situations where the rooms alternate floors or wings.

In the engineering school I went to, the facilities much better accommodate males, as in there's no shortage of men's rooms. But it's a royal PITA to try and find a women's or unisex room.

And on several occasions female custodians entered and started cleaning the men's room while I was still in there and I didn't really care, and noone else did either.

4. littledinosaurs

Well School administrations tend to ignore the GLBT, unless they are a majority so by keeping the majority of kids from hooking up in bathrooms in a win in their book.
    Also i'm Bi so i should always be confined to a 1 person bathroom or i'll go wild.

As for C, Privacy is key. It's not that we have to hide the function, just urinals are kinda open. a bit too open, do we want to not have walls around the seated toilets?

As for size of the bathroom, depends on the school/loaction. In my school the girls & boys rooms are not next to each other so the rooms would be the same size with just more traffic.

The Engineering school having more men's room, well that's their problem for having sexist design. *shrug*

And That's great that you felt comfortable, i wouldn't have.

I'm all for trans rights, I just don't think co-ed bathrooms are the best idea.

5. Greggers

I agree with both of you guys.

Having a co-ed/uni-sex bathroom + a male bathroom + a female bathroom would be the best option in my eyes. Having JUST a male/female bathroom can be very awkward for some people who either dont know where they fit or dont feel safe or accepted in the one they want to go into or have to go into. At the same time, it would not be fair to FORCE everyone into a uni-sex bathroom because some women might not be comfortable with men in the bathroom and vise versa. If all three options were avalible in every location (far stretch, but maybe in the future?) I dont see anyone who could still be left out.

6. littledinosaurs

Agreed!
    I think the best option is just to have several separate rooms that are single unisex bathrooms.
    That way everyone is happy!
    (i've never heard of anyone having trouble by being alone in a bathroom xD)

7. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Fuck that.
    Men are disgusting. Seriously, do men explode when they use the washroom? Whenever I have EVER been into a male washroom/co-ed washroom, they have been horrible.
    I'll stick to my reasonably clean women's washrooms.

That being said, I am all for gender-neutral bathrooms in addition to gender specific ones. While it's a nice idea to try and say that it's natural and yadda yadda, you are still essentially just pissing and shitting. Just because it's natural does not mean that it's awesome. And I personally have grown up in an environment where I feel safer pissing and shitting around my own gender.

8. littledinosaurs

Quote of the Day!

9. starfish

Well I could attack either his childlike behavior, the fallacy of his argument, or his ignorance. Instead I am going to take the low road. What a fucking moron.

10. mattypants

yeah. seprate unisex in mass = everyone happy

11. rainemc

Wow! He's taking his argument from children? That's an excellent source! Young kids can NEVER be manipulated to say what you want them to and young kids DO have an excellent understanding of the world around them! Bravo!

I'm so glad to read that the state went the right way. Some of those comments are sickening! They say that the article is sick well, a cosed mind is sick!

12. Jace

yes i like the idea of single uni bathrooms

who else thinks its a bit awkward to pee or whatever, when you know that someone else is listening

i remember one time at a movie theatre i went to the bathroom and i could hear this guy a few stalls down piss for like 5 fucking minutes, stop, fart, then piss for another 5 minutes
    idk about you but i'd rather keep that to myself rather then have some kid hear it and then post about it on some forum

doncha think?

13. Markio

All single bathrooms should be gender-neutral.

Coed bathrooms do sound weird, but it's not like the boundaries are set in stone currently. Don't mothers still bring little boys into the lady's room?

14. jayhad90

jayhad90 Guest

WOW I couldn't agree with you more, the point of his arguement makes him sound like he is a little kid whining to get his way not a grandfather.

15. Nugget

Uhhh...

16. Emberstone

I am proud to say that I always sit down when I pee, and never have that problem. If it makes me less of a man, then I wear that banner with pride.

Personally, I do not understand what it is like to be transgendered, having never had a urge to be a female. I cant say I know how it feels, but I also believe in tolerence and compassion. If a person identifies as another gender, we should both respect, and embrace them as human beings. I do not believe I made a choice to be gay, and I do not believe transgendered people made a choice to be who they are.

I guess what needs to be asked is this "in the end, who does it hurt to respect people's gender identity?"

Cause I think the baby jesus can handle someone being different, and wont cry cause their skin isnt white enough, or they are gay, or they vote democrat.