1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Carolina House Passes School Violence Prevention Act

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by edogs334, Jul 8, 2009.

1. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (From www.hrcbackstory.org) BTW- Gov. Perdue signed this bill into law just recently: http://equalitync.org/news1/victory-governor-signs-bills-on-bullying-sex-ed

June 24, 2009 6:02PM
    Michael Cole

Yesterday, the North Carolina House passed the School Violence Prevention Act (SVPA). Congratulations to Equality North Carolina and our friends and allies in the North Carolina legislature, particularly Senator Julia Boseman (D-New Hanover) and Representative Rick Glazier (D-Cumberland).

The bill - passed by a narrow 58-57 vote - requires school districts to implement anti-bullying policies by the end of 2009. The act would require schools to adopt anti-bullying policies that specifically prohibit bullying and harassment based on sexual orientation and gender identity, among other enumerated categories.

The Senate has already voted to pass the bill and it is expected to reach the desk of Governor Bev Perdue in the near future. Our friends at Equality North Carolina are hopeful that Governor Perdue will side with protecting all North Carolina students and will sign the bill into law.

If the Act is signed into law, North Carolina will become the first state south of Maryland, and just the tenth in all (plus D.C.) with a law containing enumerated categories specifically prohibiting bullying, harassment, or discrimination against students based on sexual orientation or gender identity. This is a landmark achievement, and we salute Equality North Carolina for leading this successful effort.

HRC rallied our members and supporters across North Carolina by encouraging them to contact their state legislators in support of this critically important bill.

2. Just Adam

that is great news she has to sign it in:slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is truly amazing! I'm sure there will be a ton of pressure on the governor from the right wing loonies, arguing that it's somehow "eroding family values" but fortunately, I think this is enough of a "feel good" bill that it will look really crappy if she vetoes it.

4. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, Gov. Perdue DID sign this bill into law- she's actually a democrat and (as far as I know) had little or no qualms about signing it into law.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It worries me that 57 people would vote against a violence prevention act to protect victims of bullying. What justification is there for that? :confused:

6. Emberstone

the same justification those kind of people tried to use to prevent interracial marriage 40 years ago?

as in no legitimate justification, they simply voted on the basis of ignorance, intolerence, and outright hate.

7. Nodnarb

Good for NC:slight_smile:

Still, it's really sad that only 10 states have enacted such a common-sense law.

8. jonny

That's good news. I just don't see y it's taking them so long to do this accross the country. We are people too. I'm sure they turn in there beds at nigh every time we kiss. It's not like we affect their life. Like we give a rats ass about them. And there suppose to be all Christian and better than us yet they would allow People to bully us. Not supporting it is the same as encouraging it. I guess that works both ways.

9. antarranger

:icon_bigg It's about time just a few more steps to go.

10. Just Adam

i have to admit i was tring not to think of that :S ... it is very heartless

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It's a step forward especially in the southern US