1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass. Sues Feds Over Definition Of Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, Jul 8, 2009.

1. EM68

2. Emberstone

I saw that and smiled. the republican war machine (war on freedom and democracy one) constantly said it is up to the state to allow gay marraige. Well, now that states are allowing it by democratic process (well, some of them are, others are allowing intolerent, slack jawed biggots to take away freedom and democracy), DomA is defying the will of people who have stood up and said yes to gay marriage. I am no lawyer, but I really wish that the whole *up to states to decide* statement can count as presidence for rebuking DOMA's authority over mass, and other states with gay marriage laws.

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

well my state was the 2nd state really to allow same-sex marriage so my hope would be that Connecticut joins in the lawsuit.

4. littledinosaurs

Wooo Massachusetts!!!!
    <33333

5. Greggers

Im confused, someone explain what California is doing in federal court over gay marriage and what Mass is doing in federal court over gay marriage and what would happen in both instances if the states won?

Does this just basically mean twice the pressure on the government?

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A state can sue the federal government?

Neat. ^_^

7. littledinosaurs

So California is trying to allow Gay Marriage, while Massachusetts is attempting to change the Federal definition in order to allow more benefits (federal) to the already married citizens.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good for Massachusetts!

9. Nodnarb

I've come around on the whole federal lawsuit thing. We might was well try it.

Good to see that the State is taking a stand on this. I know Iowa's AG supports marriage equality, so maybe we'll get in on this lawsuit too:slight_smile:

10. Garrett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG, I want to move to Massachusetts so bad! I have some family there to, they are so lucky.

11. starfish

I'm glad to see this. If successful things will get very interesting.

THe full faith and credit clause of the US constitution that all states must recognize the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of the other states. One could very easily argue that States must recognize all marriages from other states. Considering the number of states with legislation against it, this will be a fun one to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_faith_and_credit_clause

#11 starfish, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  12. starfish

I just read the lawsuit that Mass. filed. Bloody brilliant argument, attacking only a single part of the DOMA. They are not attacking the clause which protects states against the Full faith and credit clause. Very smart move in my book. It is going to be very hard for the Federal government to defended against this suit.

13. Mickey

I like living in Mass.,too,and I hope we win. There's still a lot of homophobia here,
    but at least we have Gay Marriage. It's cool to read wedding announcements,in the paper,and be able to read 2 women or 2 men getting married.
    If more states could see that the world is STILL the same, now, as before gay marriage became legal and that the sky hasn't fallen,then maybe they would get with the program and stop discrimination,everywhere! ( 6 states and counting! YAY!)

14. TheBP

Good for Massachusetts! My Gov. teacher actually blurted this out loud during class, and I was like, wtf? haha

I learned about this too, last week. So, I know they SHOULD, but WOULD gay marriages transfer over to another state?

I really hope Massachusetts wins! :grin:

15. starfish

Currently no, Section 2 of the DOMA protects states from the Full faith and credit clause in regrades to same sex marriage. Massachusetts is not challenging section 2 of the DOMA.

While section 2 is unconstitutional in my opinion, that challenge will come at a later date.