1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fmr. President Clinton now supports marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nodnarb, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Nodnarb

Too bad he couldn't have reached this conclusion back before he signed DOMA:dry:

Regardless, this is still really big news. Clinton is extremely popular with and has a ton of influence with a lot of Democrats, especially older, more conservative Democrats.

The Nation

2. Shevanel

Who cares, seems like an attention seeking maneuver to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. djt820

Seriously....

4. DexterMorgan

Maybe he didn't just experiment with a cigar....Haha, I kid, I kid.

5. Just Adam

i liked clinton he did alot for the usa he was a brilliant diplomat when he spoke other leaders took notice.... unlike obama who they just kiss his feet and cheer to try and get on teh popular band wagon...as we all know politicians are desperate for a bit of that right now,.

ok he had an affair...but if you had a wife who you know would be the man in teh bed room you would too.... i liked it made the president seem more human.....

unlike others ....the stupidity of bush and the evilness of nixon ' i am not a crook ' ...yeaaa

and pbama is alittle bit ...stepford wife child dog picket fence...but aslong as they do the job go for it.

6. Greggers

I dont care WHY he did it.

Id rather have someone support gay rights for all the wrong reasons than want to deny them and have it be their true colors.

Support = Support.

Like OP said, hes not completely fallen off the face of the earth so people do listen to this guy still.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's good. It takes a strong person to speak out for what they believe in, but it takes an even stronger person to speak out and admit they were not only wrong in the past, but now have an opinion that most Americans do not currently share. His political history has certain aspects which make Pro-LGBT rights groups go "Whaaaa?", but for him to speak out and say he now supports equality (despite his past actions) is a rare thing for any politician to do. It's just a shame he was not in a position to enforce them when he was in office.

8. Jekko

Wooo, i'm so glad Bill Clinton supports equality. If it were up to me i would re-re-elect him but i can't cause he already passed his limit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect that he has *always* supported marriage equality. When he was president, he initially was in support of a lot of very progressive things; Don't Ask/Don't Tell was to be, originally, a full lifting of the ban on gay servicepeople.

I don't remember the details, but I think the whole DOMA thing was something he felt he had to do politically to appease the loser republicans in order to accomplish something else.

Yes, he should have stood up and done the right thing, but as Martin said, I think it takes an even bigger person to admit they were wrong and publicly take a still-controversial position, particularly when he is a fairly devout Baptist.

10. TriBi

^ What Martin & Calchip said. :slight_smile:

11. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, well said.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is welcoming news. Senator Leahy of Vermont also recently came out in favor of marriage equality. The tide is turning in Congress and my hopes are for a repeal of DOMA by the next year's end.

13. lostinthought9

I think it's great. :slight_smile:

14. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

I've always thought clinton was a legend (you've got to give the man credit for taking head in the oval office from his secretary... Lol. Sheer Quality.) and whatever his motivation may be, this can only be good news for you guy's in the u.s. Bravo Bill! :slight_smile:

15. Derek the Wolf

:thumbsup: another reason to like my favorite president