1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Episcopalians move to create same-sex couple liturgal blessings.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Emberstone

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_episcopalians_gays

This made me very happy, even though I am lutheren, and not episcopalian.

It seems they have voted as a religious body to move forward with recognition within the church of same sex couples and their unions, and are now working to develop prayers and liturgy for such blessings.

2. jonny

This doesn't suprise me though. In the movie the bible told me so they had the first gay bishop so this is a natural step. I think I'm converting lol.

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm lutheran (elca) too and there is a vote next month on similar matters, but thats good progress.

4. Emberstone

I think for now, ELCA has a policy of welcoming tolerence for the LGBT community. I really hope that is expanded also within lutheren churches also. It sort of plays into the idea that if they know more LGBT people in a welcoming enviorment, and see that we are not any different from them at the end of the day, that will be one more person informed that LGBT really is a human rights issue, and not the anti-america issue republicans keep trying to paint it as.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

My ministers daughter is a lesbian and am not sure if she blessed their marriage here in CT.

6. 71390S

71390S Guest

This is awesome! Christianity is always changing, and is going to change whether fundies like it or not in order to survive.

7. ANightDude

I'm Lutheren as well, and my church is very tolerant and accepts gays. They preach nothing about it (as well as other contervesial issues), and if you don't accept Gays at the church, the church won't accept you. They believe in rights for everyone. It's strange to see it at a church, but not suprising at the same time. I'd say the Lutheren Church is one of the more modern churchs that actually does what the bible says.

Love your neighbor.

8. Emberstone

well, the lutheren church was based on the idea of a return to christ teaching. the entire reformation was started because luther saw how the catholic church was contradicting the bible for profit and political control *including through genocide*, and challanged it.

protestantisem in america is broken up into three factions. liberal, moderate/conservative, and fundementalist dictatoreal. liberals are live and let live, moderate/conservatives try to focus on teachings, and fundementalist dictatorealist believe that their opinion is better then gods law, and therefore seek to impose it on every living being.

it is good to see progress being made in the moderate/conservative. lutherens and episcopelians tend to fall under the moderate heading.