1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawrence King Murder Case - McInerney Judgment

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "A Ventura County Judge has ruled that the teenager charged with shooting Larry King during a high school computer class will be tried as an adult."

So basically a 15 year old will be going to jail for his entire life, no rehabilitation or anything. While what happened to King is horrible, but this boy is still 15, and frankly these are not the actions of a rational sane adult.

"First, if McInerney actually understood the consequences of murder, it is likely that he would not have announced his intention to kill King to his classmates before committing the crime. He would not have shot him in the middle of a class. These are not the actions of a fully informed adult with total control over his impulses.

Second, the evidence illustrated that McInerney was very close to a police detective who indoctrinated him with the teachings of white supremacy. He was obsessed with Nazi imagery and often spoke about racist doctrine. This child was encouraged by an older person with authority in the community that certain lives don’t matter. He was too young to distinguish these teachings from truth.

Anger about Larry King’s death is appropriate. Committing this teenager without full impulse control or proper moral guidance to an adult sentence, is the same as ending a second life. McInerney is a damaged kid who committed a horrible crime. He is not the same as an adult who lies in wait and murders because of a calculated and informed disregard for human life." This came from author/blogger Ruby-Sachs.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with you Revan46. There are definitely two victims in this situation.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember hearing about the murder on Ellen, it was so sad. I think it is wrong to try him as an adult though, he is only 15 after all.

4. Tim

Tim

I actually think 15 year olds SHOULD be tried as adults, and why? Because they are aware of their actions. There's a reason the driving age is 16, (at least here) some places younger. SOME are different, in regards to how they are raised, but I don't feel this is one of those cases.

He was raised like a Nazi, and for the most part, that will never go away. He has an opinion, and took it out in the form of an action. People can say he didn't know what he was doing, but he took the gun, and shot someone, knowing it would injure/kill them, all because (Unless I'm mistaken) the boy gave him a valentine. You didnt see me going shooting all the girls in my class who gave me valentines when I was 15.

Someone's bound to disagree with me, but murder is one of the things I think anyone over the age of 10 should be tried as an adult for, except in cases why they have an actual mental illness, not just an opinion brought on by their upbringing. After 10, an average kid should be aware of what's going on. All the 10 year olds I know do.

And yes, I do know that people raised in that lifestyle do not tend to know better, however, very few cases have actually shown the kids not remaining the same, (God I watch too many talk shows)

5. Emberstone

i still blame the dad for having unlocked guns in his house with his children. thats neglegence in my mind.

6. starfish

I don't know all the facts of this case. So I won't really comment on it.

However from what I have seen in other cases. And from discussion with people on both side of the criminal justice system. It is my whole hearted opinion that the criminal justice system as it currently stands is not about protecting the public. It is about vengeance.

7. 71390S

71390S Guest

Mmmmmmhmmmmmm!

8. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm all for vengenance, if some yahoo shot my kid because he was different and he got off easy, i'd bring my gun to the court house and kill the kid his parents and the judge (assuming i'm not killed by police first) i agree with Myzou, you see it on the news everyday (in chicago anyway) someone killed someone else with a gun, and what not and you hear there going to jail for the rest of there natural lives, even for selling drugs.

So I say he dam well knew what he was doing and should get life or the death penalty, that was premeditated murder.

(thats just me, i'm not trying to start an argument its just that if it were my kid that got killed i'd personally want to cruicify the person that did it, its just how i feel)

9. DexterMorgan

I guess I'm kinda torn about this issue...

10. TheBP

I remember hearing about this, and thinking how awful it was...

While 15 is a tender young age, the boy was fully conscious of what he was doing. Yes, he may have been brought up in a bad learning environment, but that's not a legitimate excuse for his action.

If a man, who was raised with racist teachings, kills someone of a different color, or a man brought up with homophobic ideals kills a homosexual person, should they be let off? No, because having the ideas and acting on them are two different things. He acted upon his, and should be punished for them.

My two cents...

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That basically sums up the entire story. :frowning2:

12. notquitebutch

I'm sorry, but how are there two victims here? While i don't know everything about this case, I do know that a 15 year old fully understands what they're doing when they take a gun and shoot someone, no matter what white-supremacist crap they were taught. He knew exactly what he was doing and needs to be locked away, especially if he was taught that "certain lives don’t matter". He'll just do it again if he's free.

I agree fully with TheBP.

13. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the kid with the gun made himself a victim in my opinion. He threw his life away.

14. acorn7

There are two "victims" as in, two lives were wasted here. One of them is still salvageable. Yes, the kid can't be let off easily, but he also needs to be rehabilitated, psychologically treated, etc.

Being impulsive humans that we are, we want vengeance and punishment and for him to suffer for the rest of his life... but who does that help? If he spends his life in prison it's a huge cost for the state and sorry, but the death penalty is just barbaric. He's not a serial killer, he's an impulsive teenager who made an incredibly stupid and hateful mistake. He's not going to go around shooting people when he gets out (unless he's truly a psycopath, which doctors can determine if that's really the case).

15. Étoile

Because a mentally sane person does not shoot others for vengence.

Everyone is a little guilty if you think about it. Lawrence King repeatedly pestered Brandon and kept making advances even after Brandon told him to leave him alone and was clearly embarassed and not interested. Brandon McInerney chose a terrible way to handle the problem where there were other, better, saner options. The consulor that frequently talked with Larry failed to reprimend Larry on his actions and instead said he was "expressing himself". The talk that was given to the two boys together by the principal lacked in its effectiveness. The parents of both kids should have sat them down and talked about their problems and come together to address them.

Now, a young boy is gone and a life will be wasted because of negligence.

16. No One

Personally i feel that the ruling is fair. Normally I would agree and say he is a kid but i feel that 3 years is in no way a good enough amount of time to serve regardless of his age. He may have been raised to believe what he did but hundreds of kids are taught the same thing and do not kill people. I would not agree with life but i would agree with 30 years.

17. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

:dry:

An eye for an eye. If you have taken the life of someone else, why should you get to continue living yours? If this kid had been a few years older, we wouldn't be hearing about this "mentally deficient" crap. He was fully aware of the consequences of pulling that trigger. This murder was totally thought out before hand. He brought the gun to school.

You don't let a distraught husband go after he murders his wife because he did it in a "fit of rage". You don't let some kid get away with murder either.

He chose to waste his life. Let him rot in jail.
    There are many victims here. None of which include that boy.

18. littledinosaurs

Once you hit 18 you don't suddenly realize that certain things are right and others are wrong. He still would have done it, maybe just have executed the plan swifter.

19. notquitebutch

This. I'm sorry, but there is no way this kid is a victim.

I'm anxious to see how this turns out.