1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sen. Tom Duane's powerful speech on HIV/AIDS

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Astaroth, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Astaroth

This is a penultimate example of what we can do if we put our hearts and minds into the fight against bigotry and discrimination. A little backstory.

This took place about a week ago on the New York Senate floor at 3:00am after a very long day of back-and-forth commentary on a bill proposed by Tom Duane, the senator you'll see speaking in a second, to help with the cost of living for those dealing with HIV and AIDS. You can find the bill's details elsewhere. I'm certainly not an expert on it by any means. Anyway, after many long hours back and forth, he stood up and gave this speech. Before he had given it, there were other Senators who said "don't bother, it's not going through" or "just let it fall and bring it up next session, maybe." The expected voting margin was that the bill would be partially supported by the Democrats and soundly denied by Republicans and would therefore fail miserably when they voted on it after the testimony.

[YOUTUBE]yyP9eLrvcAA[/YOUTUBE]

After the speech, they voted.

His bill passed.

52 to 1.

This just goes to show that heartfelt words really can change minds and lives. I think if more people took a stand like this, this country would be a lot better off in a few years.

2. Just Adam

is it like a rule to have to shout?.... i know its passionate but i dont think shouting is the way to go but i think it may be sleepyness they all look shattered....

but great result... i dont like shouting but i like how he told it how it was i wish our policians would do that some time say the cold hard facts,

great result

3. Astaroth

The shouting was just a byproduct of people all day joking about the bill and saying that it didn't matter and it would be shot down so why bother with all these talks. He felt like no one was really seeing what the purpose of it was: to help the lives of those who have no other options left. I think by the time he got up to speak, he was furious with how nonchalantly people were brushing the matter aside. From what I understand, he's actually a very comedic, happy guy most of the time (I think he says something in the speech about how "Most of you seem to like me, but today I'm not here to be liked." I got the impression that this was just one of those moments where he was so appalled at what he thought was going to end up happening that it got his blood pumping.

4. Emberstone

What frustrates me most about the HIV-AIDS issue is that it is not a gay issue, it is a human issue. it effects people of all walks of life and orientations.

But republicans dont like it cause it doesnt have anything to do with unborn children, destroying the tax code, screwing up the education systems, etc.

5. Markio

Good thing it passed. I like how everyone clapped at the end. :slight_smile:

6. Emberstone

people who sneer at aids-hiv need to understand that this is a matter of life and death.

republians who attack aids/hiv legeslations tend to do so because they view it as a gay only problem. they dont ever get off their bigot high horses to see that they are perperuating pain and death upon people by treating a serious problem with hatefilled disdain. they dont see how they are tearing apart familys by refusing to allow them to be familys recognized by law because they happen to have two moms, or two dads. they dont notice that by destorying safeguards and regulations helped banks to cheat and do every bad, immoral, greedy thing that they did to help lead us into economic ruin.

they need to sit back, and listen, and seeing as they cant prove their points as valid, they need to stop forcing their often intolerent politics upon us.

it is good that in new york, the republicans are willing to listen to moral common sense.

7. Just Adam

well hiv/aids is like massive to u8nderplay it in underdeveloped parts of the world... and its not gay people but hetro family affected... anyone can get hiv ... thats jsut fact of life...

and i agree clapping was nice

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's important enough but especially speaking as someone who's seen a relative die from AIDS, I applaud anyone who is willing to help speak up and do something about it. HIV/AIDS does NOT discriminate and no one no matter who they are is immune from it, and the sooner more people, especially those in political power realize it, the better off we'll all be. AIDS is no laughing matter.

9. Garrett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He is so passionate because he himself is a gay man living with HIV. A great speech from him.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And you know this for a fact Garrett?

11. Astaroth

Yes, he is. He ran for election as one of NYC's only openly-gay candidates, but also its only HIV-positive one.