1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay men in portugal cant give blood

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by wherewulfe, Jul 28, 2009.

1. wherewulfe

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Erm not to spoil your fun, but this is the same everywhere...Gay men can't give blood in the USA, Canada, the UK, anywhere. Or at least...that's the last time I checked >_>

3. Just Adam

no we cant give blood... but i aint planning to give my blood to anyone anyway.

allthough i think the whole not giving blood if your msm is totally stupid as anyone can have somthing in their blood but if mine isnt good enough feck them...

as for womens blood not such a risk..hmmm i wouldent trust that fact either just sounds like typical crap that gay guys sick lesbian women ...nice.... woner who thought this proposal up >.>

like i say anyones blood can be messed up ... stupid stone age regulating

4. Possibly Maybe

Firstly, in Portugal people speak portuguese and not spanish.

Secondly, that will be revised soon, or so they say.

Thirdly Jornal Digital isn't a reliable news site.

5. Just Adam

im sure someoen in portugal speaks spanish :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Elven

Lol I hate this kinda crap, I can somewhat understand why they wouldent take the "risk" of getting gay cooties but hey who cares don't want it then I won't give it no problem its just kinda immature though how its just men as I can guess they think its worce bettween men and the men in parliment can relate to how wrong to them that feels but they may find lesbians attractive and/or fake cause there douches....

7. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

fuck 'em... I'm giving blood fortnight wednesday as they have this drive on to get extra stocked up due to swine flu and people being too weak to give blood in winter. I'm thinking my queer blood can save lives as well as or better than anyone else.

8. tm74

tm74 Guest

ElusiveMuse - here in the UK it's OK to be gay and give blood... unless you've done certain things with another man. Ever.

I'm giving blood too next week... which says a lot about my love life!

9. paco

paco Guest

its a safety issue, gay men are more likely to have AIDS and stuff. i cant give blood in america either, not because its an actual law, but when i take that quiz that asks have you had sex with a man in the last 18 months, they say thanks for trying, come back later.

10. KnightAssassin

The fact of cost .... it would cost ALOT more to test blood from a gay male than it would for a non-gay male strictly because of diseases or infection we are more at risk for because the fact of the risk in anal sex is more chance of STD's and etcetera but GAY MEN CAN GIVE BLOOD in U.S. if you have not had male to male sex ........... my mom is a red cross quality assurance manager ...... so ya the small fact is i can still give blood [at red cross ] and im gay [yet virgin]

11. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

It does cost a lot. You are right but shouldnt they be testing all the blood for std's. And if they do then what harm would testing more blood be. If they want to save money, why dont they just deny anyone who has ever had sex? They save more money that way right? Its a catch 22 and money is the issue...it always is. Just how the blood banks are always low and how they have to throw out (non-virgin) blood because there was something wrong with it.

If you guys want just take this conversation to the health and wellbeing section. They are almost done with this conversation. lol.

12. Nitro

I wouldn't be surprised if Jornal Digital used the term "Homens homossexuais" as shorthand for the more appropriate technical jargon MSM (men who have sex with men). Orientation does not necessarily reflect behavior, nor behavior reflect orientation. Further evidence of this use of shorthand is that a search of the website for their blood agency Instituto Português do Sangue shows no hits for homossexual while there was evidence of documentation pertaining to the prevention of HTLV aka HIV.

13. littledinosaurs

Jesus christ!!!! this topic never dies. -_-

14. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

and it never will...:icon_twis

15. littledinosaurs

Sadly you are correct, although i cannot comprehend how ec can find more new ways to complain about this. This topic has out risen jesus, both in number of times and amount of time it takes to rise between deaths.

16. littledinosaurs

Also the article is in português, not spanish.
    (and yes i said this before reading how other people pointed this out.)

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't speak for other countries, but I know that here (in Belgium) they check all blood for all diseases anyway. Everyone yelled that it would be impossible to do so, but modern screaning methods are actually remarkably efficiënt. And there are ways of just testing entire batches of blood at a time and then determining back who the exact individual was that caused a strange reading. It's just the will to have a modern set of screening methods that needs to be there!

It seems to get revived by blood sacrifice every so often :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Just Adam

bad joke filip :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 points from hufflepuff...

19. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think that ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE who gives blood should be checked for HIV/AIDs no matter if they are gay or straight. end of story.

20. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    but surely you could just lie? how do they know if you're gay anyway?