1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad News From the Middle East

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Legnaj, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Yet again we are hearing more and more of the fall of LGBT rights in the middle east only this time you dont have to be gay to be hunted. Just as long as you look gay, sound gay, act gay, dress gay (flashy), dress modern or hang out/own a place were gay people just happen to hange out. These gangs are forcing normal people to discriminate or else face death. I wish Saddam was alive. We wanted him dead for what he had done in the past, but others wanted him dead so they could begin their view of the future.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2009-07-28-gays-in-iraq_N.htm

2. 71390S

71390S Guest

"The militants "want to educate the society to accept killers on the street," al-Alusi says in an interview. "Why did Hitler start with gays? They are weak. They have no political cover. They have no legal cover.""

F*cking scary.

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

What? Discrimination! In the MIDDLE EAST?!
    Holy cow! That's absolutely absurd! They form some of the most accepting cultures on the planet. Many of them are human rights activi-

Oh wait. No. It's a barbaric and overly religious place.
    They hate gays? What else is new.

#3 Numfarh, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While it is a sad thing, I can't say I am very surprised. The Middle East seems to hate everything else now, so why not the gays too?

5. Kaim

Kaim Guest

While it is sad and quite terrible, I'm not entirely surprised as developing countries tend to deal with their supposed "problems" in irrational ways apparently.

#5 Kaim, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Though I am not surprised that this is going on, I am surprised at where this destructive path is going. Its not getting better or staying the same, it has gotten and is getting worse. Thats the surprise. The killing isnt surprising but killing those who are in support of lgbt people in that region, thats shocking. It sounds like Rawanda but on a whole diffrent scale.

7. Elven

Meh there "government" seems to hate everyone who is not of/does something forbidden in there religion, does anything differently or wishes for things they don't want them to have....

8. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But, oh, so true; sadly.

9. Beachboi92

this is sad and i am with LL and Shawn on this one

10. DexterMorgan

I'm glad I don't live there.

11. Nugget

Meh, the government over there probably feel like they don't have enough control to sustain their satisfaction so they have dig in their heels and nails even further. But the tighter you squeeze a mouse, the sooner its eyes will pop out. Know what I mean?

12. Helen

Helen Guest

Whoa whoa, stop.

You're all saying "The Middle East" and blanketing the whole area as if it were barbaric to live in. You're thinking of places like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq. So why can't you just SAY "Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq"?

I'm quarter Lebanese, and I grew up in the UAE. Have I been stoned to death? Approached by gangs every waking minute of my life in Dubai? Please, don't just refer to a whole generic area without knowing other countries' views to it. Yes, it's technically illegal in the UAE, but maybe you didn't know that the police generally turn a blind eye to it, and there is a very flourishing underground gay community there.

13. Jesse Jinx

Well, while I can't say there's much of a shock factor to it, it's still horrifying and saddening. I count myself lucky I don't live there, but that doesn't help them. *sigh*

14. ANightDude

I'm going to have to agree 100% with this.
    Not every country even punishes homosexuality. Israel is a middle east country close to achieving all rights, including marriage, for gays. Jordan, U.A.E. are other examples. But I won't deny that other middle eastern countries have some serious issues when it comes to this. Since I am not Islam, I cannot speak for the entire religion, but I've always wondered, why Islam? Why is it the religion with crazy dictators, extremist groups, and countires who murder their own people for being different? Why is this religion such an issue? I feel bad for those Muslims who aren't like this. I know a few a they are good, kind hearted people who themselves don't understand this area.

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but you cannot deny that Dubai has some SERIOUSLY messed up laws. I mean, if you held hands with your girlfriend or started making out in public, you'd DEFINITELY be in for it. Same goes if you're wearing shorts and a strappy top in the mall, or are the victim of a car crash in which the other car is full of locals. Ok I agree it's not as bad as some areas but it's STILL BAD in my opinion.

16. Helen

Helen Guest

That's not what I meant, Lucy. My issue was with people who just take the WHOLE of the Middle East to be completely 100% bad.

Also, it really isn't like that. I know people SAY it is, but it isn't. I went to Desert Rock and I saw lezzer couples all over the place, I was actually pretty shocked! But did security do a thing? Nope. The car crash thing is related to full-out racism, not homophobia, and as for wearing skimpy clothes in malls, people do it all the damn time; which I think is incredibly distasteful given that they are GUESTS in a country that they have a choice to be in or not!

17. Helen

Helen Guest

Ah yes, that's another point! I have many Muslim friends from when I lived in Dubai for 12 years, and the vast majority were remarkably polite, very enjoyable to be around, smart, compassionate, and generally lovely people. In fact, they were a whole lot nicer than most Westerners over there!

As for Israel...well the Lebanese side of me is originally Palestinian, so I won't start going into my opinion of Israel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yes, I believe it is getting fairer for homosexuals, but it does have a lot of..ahem...other faults, which we won't go into. :confused:

18. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must admit, I am guilty of grouping the entire region together, and for that I apologize. I have met some delightfully nice people from the Middle East, and I sometimes forget that it may be offensive to some if I do that.

19. littledinosaurs

hahahahahahha

20. Just Adam

i have to say in my opinion the middle east is a disgusting place to live.

mya dvice is anyoen lgbt or of a diverse nature jsut leave right now pack your things and leave be it in teh dead of night if you must jsut get as far asway as possible.

supopsed to be a place of ancient culture and wisdom and understanding stretchign thousands of years but seem incapable of acceptance and thinking past their beliefs, they can not comprehend tollerance these people who just continue to do harm to others different to themselves it makes me so sad.

there should be no place in this world for people like this and i blame the government theres and ours and the americans. we storm in there cause hell make it an anarchy everyone for themselves, ... and we dont even bother trying to help people suffering to busy with politics empty words and shooting.

those poor people :frowning2: