1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how legal is marriage?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 71390S, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

So...marriage has 1,138 federal benefits in the USA.

And we all know MA has legalized same-sex marriage a while ago. But if marriage is legal, and gay couples are supposed to get the rights of marriage - why don't they get the federal benefits (meaning they can be legally recognized in every state). It doesn't make sense at all to me, am I missing something? Isn't it hypocritical of the government to legally federally recognize straight marriages but not gay ones?

sorry if this has been covered....

2. littledinosaurs

DOMA (Defense of marriage act) prevents gay married couples from being recognized on the federal level.

This is why massachusetts is suing the government cause their law is interfering with their definition of marriage.

3. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    that and MA laws only govern MA. they're only officially married while they are there. :frowning2:

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's a complete mix of different federal and state laws that interfere with each other.

5. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

This is bound to go to the supreme. I mean part of the reason we have the american dollar was due to the similar/parallel issue of all of the 13 colonies having different dollars worth diffrent ammounts. You go to use it in another colony and you get ripped off because "your money isnt good here because our money is better." Same thing happend with the euro i think. But its total bull, allowing rights when its convienient.

6. Shevanel

DOMA will get taken down. It's impossible for something like that to be blocked on the federal level for too long, so it WILL be repealed. When, I don't know. Patience is key.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This assumes that the two losers Bush appointed to the Supremes die or otherwise resign, or that the democrats force a bill past the loser Republicans, who would like for all of us to just shrivel up and go away :slight_smile:

8. Shevanel

=O I'm a Loser Republican too? :tears:

9. 71390S

71390S Guest

Thanks for clarifying guys ^_^

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joey,

"Loser Republican" and "Republican" are not synonymous.

"Loser Republicans" in my opinion are the crazys at the far right of the party... the people who believe that recognition of gay marriage will be the end of the world as we know it, who think that Sarah Palin is an absolute genius equivalent to Aristotle in her brilliance of insight, who believe that women should be at home chained to the kitchen and the bedroom... who think that George W. Bush was a brilliant scholar. Let's not forget that Harriet Miers said, in apparent seriousness, that George W. Bush was the most intelligent man she'd ever met. If that's the case, the woman has lived a VERY sheltered life.

So... maybe I'm being a little hard on Bush's two appointees... but Roberts and Alito lied their asses off in order to get confirmed, admitted they did so after the fact, and in my opinion, ought to do about 20 years in the slammer for lying to Congress. That is a great definition of "loser" in my book.

Now... real Republicans, on the other hand, are about smaller government, more autonomy, good moral values... and many other positive things. And that isn't a bad thing.

See the difference?

11. Shevanel

I was more or less joking, but thanks your input and clarification :slight_smile: xD

12. legalrights

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Same-sex marriage is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Spain, South Africa, Nepal and Norway. We've also got two of the 50 U.S. states: Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Until November 2008, the wonderful state of California also had a brief stint on that list. Although the fact that gay marriage is now banned in my home state pains me, I have no doubt that within the next 10 — 15 years at most — same-sex marriage will be legal across the U.S. What I want to know: how will the legalization of same-sex marriage affect American society?

There's no way of getting a perfect answer, but we can look to other countries for some insights to the future struggles of the U.S. LGBTQQ community.

Here in Spain (where I am studying abroad for the year), not only is same-sex marriage legal, but homosexuals are allowed to serve openly in the military, same-sex couples have the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples and all anti-gay discrimination has been officially banned.

As a fairly involved LGBTQQ activist, I have always looked to Spain as an inspiration for the U.S. This year, I get to experience, first-hand, what it's like to live in a society where homosexuals enjoy a legal status that is unimaginable for the majority of the world. I have been both gratified and disappointed with what I have encountered in a little fishing village just north of Barcelona.

apostille info

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you see Russia from your house?

14. ANightDude

Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine? Pretty darn sure it's legal there.