1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Saluting gay boyfriends"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kenko, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read this in the free compost bin liner AKA the Metro:

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/281365--saluting-gay-boyfriends

And it annoys me because although it "appears" to be supportive of gays, it's perpetuating the same damn stereotypes! I don't have 8 fag hags or anything. I have one female friend that I occasionally bond over gay stuff with. But I don't do any of the shit mentioned in this article.

1. They find sports boring and would never force you to watch a game.
    I enjoy watching the occasional hockey game, but I never force anyone to do anything.

2. They are more emotional and intuitive than most straight men, so they do not judge you for your occasional “girl moments.”
    Girls confuse me with their random emotions, and made up 'vibe' readings that they misread from other people before getting pissy for no apparent reason.

3. They revere Madonna as a demigod (The Gay Boyfriend downloaded her new single Celebration eons before you did. For the record.)
    I don't "worship" Madonna, Cher, Brittney, Gaga, etc. I may listen to their songs, but I listen to a lot of songs.

4. They find levity and hope in the most depressing of scenarios.
    Hopes a-fading in my depressing scenario. 8 months and still out of work.

5. When they pour you a drink, there is no ulterior motive.
    When I pour a drink for a guy there's no ulterior motive either.

6. They have neat shoes.
    HA! I have a pair of sneaker, old sneakers for yard work, gym sneaker, dress shoes, and boots.

Good lord, what's next? Why cheerleader friends are good? Football player friends?

2. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i hate the fact that girls are emotional they dont use reason what so ever!!! so much stereo types in there makes me mad

3. 71390S

71390S Guest

I think the article is playful, I didn't take it too seriously.

4. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, here's how I fit into the "gay boyfriend" image.

I'd be too busy with my PC to force anyonw to watch anything, so yeah, I fit this part

2. They are more emotional and intuitive than most straight men, so they do not judge you for your occasional “girl moments.”

actually, I do
    when girls come crying to you, you feel like they're only your friend for someone to cry on. I personally feel I should be an online counsellor due to people that have come to me with BF problems, suicidal moments, cutting etc.
    sure, occasional, but there's a fine line

3. They revere Madonna as a demigod (The Gay Boyfriend downloaded her new single Celebration eons before you did. For the record.)

I own NONE of their music.
    and if there is a demigod I worship, it's VALVe, not madonna

wrong for me too. I've been depressed, ands I believe I still am. there's only endurance

ok ,that's right for me.

6. They have neat shoes.

my shoes have more holes in than swiss cheese. :lol:

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is, for people that "don't know any better", they will read it and it will further reinforce the stereotypes they have.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    As a cheerleader i can say we are awesome friend's :grin: well most of us.....ok rare one's

But about your point you are right there are far to many stereotypes about gay men but unfortunatly these pre-concieved idea's will always be around because most people get an image of people from the media and the media will always want these stereotypes

7. olides84

Hey it's better than an article saying 'fags burn in hell' :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    It's directed to the straight girl audience and I really think it's harmless and fun.
    And I fit none of the stereotypes either so I'm wholly unqualified to be this kind of Gay Boyfriend. I get along with straight guys (and gay guys and lesbians) much better than straight girls.

8. KnightAssassin

this looks fun to compare myself to !!! lol XD but seriously here is my stack up

i like to play sports , but i don't care to watch them ..

wow i counsel kids my age with their problems and i helped some people come out and even some people i helped with their suicidal thoughts so if thats what they mean they i am glad i fit their or else others people would suffer

...i believe they have good music but there is only one god

WRONG lol i used to have alot of suicidal thoughts and attempts ...

.... i am under age can't handle liquor , but i make a great martini XD no ulterior motive thought

6. They have neat shoes.
    HAAAA HAA HA my shoes are dirty as hell and well i have cant keep shoes longer than 2 years before i wear through them playing basketball or doing martial arts ......

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In other words you! have dirty shoes being so manly! You're a fraud to the gay community! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed, I get along well with the groups you quoted, and generally the straight women I get along well with tend to be not super feminine / more "butch" women that are more interested in actually doing stuff than how they look / random emotions. I've been known to watch hockey games and drink beer with them.

I understand that the article is intended to be harmless and fun, and I know what she's getting at, the problem is, how will everyone else who reads the article take it? Will it further reinforce gay stereotypes?

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I agree, it's stupid and trite and it perpetuates the idea of the 'gay friend' as a fashion accessory for women. I could take it as a joke if I didn't know that many people actually believe this.

12. Just Adam

i watch teh F1 if you dont like it get lost... or bett you stay here ill go watch it at the pub.

i agree with this but it doesent say when i do judge you it will be a trillion times more hateful

gaga is ok ... i dont worship anything!

anyone who knows me knows thats bollocks the nearest thing i have to hope is a refusual to bow down and die

depends if im trying to get money out of you...

6. They have neat shoes.
    hahaha no!

13. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    ha...

1. you're right sports are boring to watch

2.I'm pretty cold emotionally, but yes, I can read the girl's emotions fairly well if I've been around her for a while, I'll dismiss it as irrelevant though >.>

3. Paramore is my demigod as long as they still provide good music. I'm not much of a madonna fan :frowning2:

4. this is true for me. but i see good and bad in everything :slight_smile:

5. well there is an unterior motive, but it's not sex, well, not right away

6. maybe when I get them, but I know plenty of straights with bigger shoe collections than me

14. Nitro

I don't think these type of articles are taken too seriously. It freely admits to being about a group of friends (= more than questionable research methodology). More importantly there are other similar stereotype based qualities list articles that straight people will have encountered - thus making them familiar with the genre and how this should not be taken seriously.

ex: "Top 10 Endearing Habits of a Geeky Spouse" http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07/top-10-endearing-habits-of-a-geeky-spouse/

15. Greggers

Ding. Ding. Ding. Sports = the anti-christ. :slight_smile: I get calls from my female friends asking if they can come over during hockey playoff season because their entire family / boyfriends are too into the games. Ok, so thats one point towards being a walking stereotype...

Well, i wear my emotions like i wear my jackets - on the outside of EVERYTHING, big and baggy, and in very plain sight. I would say i have more girl moments than many girls i know (also due to my hormone regulation problems, but still). I definitly dont judge anyone for having a bad day or making a few mistakes when stressed. Ok, is that another point? Yea, ok, two points...

I *may* own the entire Madonna discography (only one of the albums did i buy though) and i do worship her as a role model. Voguing is pretty much amazing. And ok, ok, i did download Celebration the first day it came out. So thats a big fat point to bring me to a total of three...

Well, ive always been the "Dr. Phil" of my group of friends, but that has nothing to do with being Gay (i think?) im just the guy who is always there to lend and ear, some advice and an encouraging word. I sort of got the whole "sexless gay friend" thing going on, or "Will and Grace Syndrome" if anyone knows what im talking about (Queer as Folk, Emmett, TV's Queer Guy story arc) So that may be another point too...

Well i would never hit on a girl or try and take advantage of a girl for sex like SOME (not all) straight men would. Not much to this point though. I guess i might pour a drink for a guy i like to loosen him up though. Point number 5? Sure...

6. They have neat shoes.

I have alot of fancy sandals (im not a "shoe" guy) and a nice pair of high quality dress shoes, but thats about it. Eh, half point? I guess...

- - -

So basically 1-5 i rang true with, 6 was iffy.

The thing about these points is only number 5 is really going to be true for most people. One good thing about being a female and having gay friends is you can let your guard down and not worry about them trying to get into your pants.

The first three and number six are stereotypes that for many many people are completely false. There are quite a good chunk of people who will fit these points, but its not something that comes with being gay.

Oh, and number 4 is fucking retarded. How is finding hope is a situation something gay boyfriends have? Thats something any gender, race, age, sexuality, religion, ect. ect. ect. either has or does not have. Its not "gay" to look on the bright side of life.

16. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for fun, I'll see how it compares to me.

I'm sorry but if there's a world cup soccer match, wich is once every 4 years, that I wanna watch, my boyfriend can just go entertain himself for a few hours. I don't force anyone, but we all have something we wanna watch. Sports or otherwise.

Although I hate talking about my own feelings, I am very aware of others and to try and cover up my own issues I enjoy making sure everyone around me uses me as a listener. And girl moments? what the hell. So are girl moments something that need to be excused?

Madonna is an ugly old bitch that fakes a Brittish accent and thinks she can adopt a baby from any continent she damn well pleases. Not to mention she stopped reinventing herself ages ago. I have no respect for her, or any of the other pop tarts desperately imitating her.

This is some sort of gay trait? 'Cause I can be a real downer.

So straight boyfriends automatically drug and rape you when they pour you a drink. What ulterior motive? Seriously what does this even mean?

6. They have neat shoes.

All Stars have been around for quite some time now. My shoes don't make me gay and I don't make my shoes gay. And I wouldn't call em neat either. I can't keep shoes clean for a week. I usually need new ones every 6 months. And I don't own more than two pair either. So that stereotype doesn't fly.

Conclusion: what a joke :dry::lol:

17. kettleoffish

I don't enjoy sports, at all.

I'm an emotional mess, if that counts.

I can't stand processed pop music. I revere King Crimson and Dream Theater as demigods.

I do this, but I don't often share it.

everything I do has an ulterior motive.

6. They have neat shoes.

I do have some pretty neat shoes, I'll give you that one

18. Timm

Well, yeah. I do find sports boring...

Emotional? I think not. I've been called cold. But, most of my friends are girls...

Madonna? Meh.

No...I can be pessimistic.

True.

6. They have neat shoes.
    Mine are ugly. And have holes.

19. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I find watching most sports boring and while I would never force anyone to watch a game. but I never miss a WSU foot ball game.

... I probably wouldn't judge someone for it and if they needed someone to talk to I would. But I do prefer the company of guys.

Ok I revere no one as a demigod and I hate Madonna's music. I am much more of a heavy metal kinda guy.

While I can deal with depressing situations. I get just as sad as anyone

I never have an ulterior motive when I pour anyone a drink

6. They have neat shoes.

If beat up skate shoes count as neat shoes then yes yes I do.

I get that this is supposed to just be a joke but the problem is right now tons of people still believe these ridiculous stereotypes and to some this reinforces those stereotypes.

20. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I fit into this. Though lately I've been getting into swimming a little bit, but not obsessive or anything.

Eh.. I'm a bit emotional but I don't get random 'girl moments'..

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Yeah, sometimes this applies to me, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not the one who pours the drink.

6. They have neat shoes.
    I've got neat shoes, but that's because I scored them for $15 (originally $150).