1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You’re in violation of our no costumes dress code."

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Aug 14, 2009.

?

Do you think what accoured at this taping was O.K.?

1. Yes. (reply to thread with any extra comments)

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. No. (reply to thread with any extra comments)

33 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. Greggers

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid105250.asp

What do YOU think about this artice from The Advocate's website?

Basically this is the sum up:

A Drag Queen shows up to the taping of "The Wendy Williams Show" (known for being pro-LGBT) in full drag, "but not anything outlandish".

She is asked to leave because she is violating the "no costume" rule of the set.

"I said, ‘This is not a costume.’ And he said, ‘Well, it’s a costume to us.’"

But they allow her to stay because she "put so much effort" into it" as long as she is not seen or heard from during the taping.

"‘We don’t want the show to turn into Let’s Make a Deal, where everyone comes in crazy costumes.’ I was like, ‘So you’re comparing me to a man in a gorilla suit?’"

During the show another security person even moved them farther away from the isle and had a tall person stand in front of the Drag Queen.

I just thought this would be an interesting topic to see what everyones opinions were. I will add a poll.

- - -

Now for my personal thoughts:

I think that was horrible. The quote that sums it up for me is "So you’re comparing me to a man in a gorilla suit?" because thats what it feels like to me. It was a man dressed looking like a proper woman. No giant hair wig or huge flowing gown. I find the art of Drag very beautiful and after watching shows like RuPauls Drag Race you understand its more than costume for some people. Its a way of life. I dont think this show should be able to discriminate against that way of life.

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

thats sad, it shows we have a lot of work still in front of us.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It would be nice if they showed us what he was wearing that night....so we could make our own determinations as to whether it was appropriate or not. Remember, there are always 2 sides to a story.

4. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    It's very sad even if you are uncomfortable with drag you should still repsect other people's way of life after all we are all people at the end of the day

5. Just Adam

discrimination on someones appearance is wrong.

they had no right to judge this persons life to make it seem to be a freak show

i would of got all legal on them

6. dictionary

Well i don't have all the facts nor dose anyone else if it was just that he "just liked dressing up" it is a compleatly different story to "I identify as a woman"

I like dressing up as vampire but i dont go to a tv interview in a costume.

I personaly don't realy understand drag queens and its not something i find all that entertaining...

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First I don’t really get / understand drag, and the pronoun mess it creates just baffles me.

If a woman showed up dressed as a man, would she have a problem? I have a problem with how the “acceptable” dress varies so much by gender.

It sounds like they weren’t wearing anything particularly “loud”

It sounds like the host occasionally dresses particularly “loud”

One thing that particular bugs me is if it were a transgendered person they would presumably be treated the same way.

8. Greggers

I think everyone should totally go watch this movie if they want to learn some more about Drag. Its one of the all time classic gay movies.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-Zzasrky8[/YOUTUBE]

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I really love that movie, it's great. Ironically enough my mother's name is Priscilla.

I don't understand why places ask people to leave based on things like this, as long as they are covering all things that ought to be covered in public I say they should be allowed anywhere. They should have put pictures of this person up so we can judge for ourselves whether or not they were dressed appropriately.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that "nothing outlandish" to a drag queen could have a totally different meaning than "nothing outlandish" to someone living in the midwest. Without pics, it would be hard to say if there was a legitimate concern.

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's spelt "occured" darling. :slight_smile:

Now onto the matter at hand. I think it's pretty acceptable. If the outfit at hand was pretty extreme then it could look like a costume.
    And remember - their premesis, their rules, their dress code.

12. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would have made a scene during the taping and asked wendy whats up with the bs policy and put her on the spot, that and demanded my money back if i paid anything

13. Eponine

It's actually spelled "occurred," but let's move on.

I agree that it would be better if there were pics to see just how outlandish it could have possibly been, but I don't think it should have been that much of a concern, seeing as how the host is generally pretty bold in her wardrobe and such.

14. littledinosaurs

Agreed.

15. 71390S

71390S Guest

No I do not think it's okay to kick her out.

16. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Greg, I see your Priscilla and raise you a pair of Kinky Boots!

[YOUTUBE]83DXny5IQyM[/YOUTUBE]

Also, I think the world is too preoccupied by what gender can wear what clothing. I love men in dresses. And love chicks in suits and ties. And I love people wearing whatever looks good on them. I think it's about time that we stop saying that only girls can wear 'X' and only boys can wear 'Y'. It's just scraps of fabric, folks!

17. dictionary

Was it not a man?

This realy isnt a gay and lezbian rights issue it's an issue concerning the crossdressing/drag community...

18. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

We all share the same rejection by society at large. The issues all stem from a fear of breaking the gender binary. We all have this forced notion of seperate genders with seperate rules to live by. And if we don't follow these regulations, we are knee deep in societal shit. Bisexual and gay people have to deal with who their gender is allowed to love. Transgendered people have to deal with which gender they are allowed to be. Crossdressers have to deal with which gender role they must follow. It's all related.

It's terribly ignorant of anyone in our community to shun another just because "it doesn't affect them" or "they can't relate". :dry:

19. Beachboi92

i don't get drag or why people do it and to me it doesn't make sense but i support it and their right to do it. Like others said they should have had pictures to see if the outfit was outlandish. What it should come down to is if a women had been dressed in that would they have treated her the same? otherwise it should be considered discrimination and they should have the right to sue.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

He, she, Ze, I don't think it was okay.