1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Um...thanks?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lexington, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the Teen Choice Awards. I guess I'd call this the "I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure you're helping" award. :slight_smile: Kicks in at 1:18.

[youtube]nT3iuYrRdH4[/youtube]

Lex

2. RaRa

Lol exactly what I was thinking, but Miss J was looking fierce! :slight_smile:

3. Greggers

I kind of got mad...

First off, because Lafayette from True Blood was not on this list

Secondly, because they never ONCE mentioned sexual orientation (until the winner said something, thank god, but it would have meant something special from the presenters)

And of course also because either this award was made to be given to what much of the world views as "silly little fagots" when they say things like its for men who dress in high fashion and wear heels or the award is for gay representation on television and in THAT case they fucking suck at picking people.

I can understand that they didn't explain a single one of the awards and they gave out like 10 at a time, VERY rushed, but this really could have used some explanation to as what the award even was. The award seems like its for "biggest gay stereotype" to me. Thats not a *BAD* award to give out i dont think, but kind of pathetic to start with. Why not "Teen Choice for best LGBT Role Model" or "Teen Choice for best LGBT Couple" or something! I can think of many people that could be in these catagories, many from TEEN shows and networks like ABC family. Many shows are getting more and more inclusive with LGBT characters so i think its time for a real award.

...and not just one you get by wearing heels and accessorizing it with your penis.

4. Shevanel

Watching the Teen Choice awards should be forced upon suspected Terrorists, although I'd consider that cruel and unusual. xD

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My guess is that this was their way of (ahem) sneaking it in the backdoor. By keeping it "gay men only" ("let's not confuse the poor kids' heads"), by not uttering the G-word ("maybe they're not gay - maybe they're just really flamboyant!"), and by choosing their nominees carefully (many can be classified as "cartoon-y"), they could sort of placate the conservative crowd while still presenting what was, in fact, a gay-only award. However, the phrase that comes to mind is "please all and you'll please none". I can't imagine the conservatives enjoying that section of the program, and most gay folks would be a bit irked by it at least. I appreciate the baby steps, but sort of wish they would've skipped it altogether.

Perez Hilton didn't win. Did he draw things all over the presenters' faces with his screen pen?

Lex

6. Emberstone

at least it wasnt *omgawd, im perez hilton, and im so gay i force other people out of the closet cause i dont believe people might have reservations about being forced out by a talentless hack who got famous for being a douchebag and using celebrities as a vehicle to get noteritety when all I deserve is a castration and a prison sentence*

7. kettleoffish

I died a little inside when they announced that 'one of the hottest new bands of the summer [was] currently touring with the jonas brothers'. I know this isn't about music, but that is a very sad state of affairs.

8. ANightDude

Oh I see how it goes, teach your kids stereotypes and call in acceptance. :/

9. notquitebutch

Uuuh... what was that award actually for? Apologies if it's in the thread, but from watching that video, all I'm getting is who's your favorite stereotypical gay man?:dry:

10. 71390S

71390S Guest

Omg that cracked me the hell up.

11. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    The Teen Choice awards are a form of torture I find

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This plays into stereotypes, not exactly a fan.

13. Étoile

That was a pretty pointless award category. A bunch of stereotypical gay men who are famous for [insert variety of reasons]? They should have had stereotypical and non-steretypical men or at least had someone who made a positive impact on the general public or a real or ficitional LGBT couple.

However, I do appreciate them for creating this category. This is our first step into mainstream awards. Hopefully, we will see a 'Best LGBT couple' category or have more (have there ever been gay couples in the main couples section?) LGBT couples in the regular category.

14. partietraumatic

any award for which Perez Hilton is nominated is instantly a load of crap in my book lol

15. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    1st point: DAMN right Paramore get's the rock award!

2nd point: choice "fab-u-lous" seems to be a waste of time, but it will likely get better over time (like being much less restrictive). But, it would have been better for Lafayette from True Blood to have been up there... However I don't think that at any point he judged someone wearing high heels (acursed restrictions!).

3rd point: Robert Pattinson... what a time to remain dumbfounded... >.>

16. pianolover95

I don't mind FAB-U-LOUS gay men, but really, making it seem like all gay men are?

17. littledinosaurs

i think it'd be more helpful if we didn't have special award categories and LBGT people were just being nominated and winning other awards like any other people.

18. Emberstone

Since when was perez hilton 'fab-u-los'?

even when he lost all that weight, he still is a very ugly person, emotional, metaphoricaly, behaviorally, and literally.

19. puceduck

Michael Urie should'a' won! Who the hell's Miss J? Never heared of him/her.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one truly embarrassing thing about the whole thing?

The 39-year-old gargoyle was the one who noticed it.

...I only knew about it because I saw it on the Soup - I SWEAR!

Lex