1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by hoping, Aug 17, 2009.

1. hoping

2. fallendream

Re: Iraqs gay ''Holocaust''

i read it, it won't work. they'll just be re-invaded.

3. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The Middle East is rotten. I know it's horrible to think that way, but I even know Arabic people who've said and I quote "nuking them is the only solution". Those people don't stop. ever. It just goes on and on and on. The basics of the Islam are in strong contrast with most societies. They have no regard for human life.

There is no living in peace with them. Sad, but true.

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada

just another reason to not visit that part of the world >.>

5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else

the only thing nuking brings is more nuking

6. Dave

beating and even killing women for not wearing veils and bombing liquor stores. (badly worded)
    That's just sad, they're in one of the oldest areas of the world, yet they are the least civilised, it just makes me even less likely to ever want to visit a country bordering on theirs, let alone theirs alone

7. kettleoffish

Some people need to stop breathing.

8. Shevanel

Alright. First off, I would think using the words "Holocaust" is a bit... over-exaggeration. I am not in any way trying to devalue the lives that were lost, but it's just... a big word. You know what I mean.

Secondly, THIS THREAD Should probably be read, incase you haven't already. Yes the Middle East is a rather screwed up place, and I can't believe I'm saying this myself, but Nuking it would be a terrible idea. There ARE genuine, good people over there, and there are lots of them. The Majority of the Media is just showing us all the bad things that go on, this is the same with just about everything, the Media just likes death, blood, and violence. So Nuking it would be bad.

Religious Extremists, not the basics of Islam, are the problem.

I don't really think comments like "Nuke Them" are appropriate anyway, not only for the consideration of the people of the Middle East (which is a huge area) (Not only would Nuking be bad because of all the innocent lives lost, but it would probably be a huge environmental detriment being that IF we did nuke them, and we nuked them all, that would be a lot of radioactive material floating all over the place and there would be a whole lot of death in places where the bombs weren't intended also) BUT ALSO for the consideration of EC Members who live in the Middle East. So Please, Don't say stupid shit like that. K?

Keep in mind, there is mindless violence all over the world. This is a sad story. But its no different than anything else we've seen.

9. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I just saw it on CNN. It enraged me.

10. Charme

Charme Guest

This ^

We can do nothing about it and no one will probably do anything about it. Arabs are one of the most intolerant people in the world close to ye olde white ppl. Doesn't surprise me a bit.

11. Shevanel

Every race is intolerant to a degree. You just can't group people together though. That's the point of what I'm trying to say, people believe different things individually. We CAN do something about it, and that is what we are trying to do now, things WON'T happen overnight.

12. Charme

Charme Guest

Lol sorry I mean conservative Arabs.

13. Shevanel

^ Even then, thats still grouping people together. You see it everywhere, not just with "Conservative Arabs".

14. endless poetry

Arab persecution of homosexals is not worse than a Christian persecuting homosexuals. It's just not. Hatred is wrong on any level. So would a homosexual hatred for Arabs be equally wrong? It is natural to be enraged by such news; and to say we should nuke them all is (I do hope) a reactionary thought ... ... ... we have learned of love, shall we not extend this?

We cannot rid this world of hatred. It`s true and if we did we wouldn`t have evil characters to follow in soaps oh wow. did i just go THAT far off topic???

Islam is a philosophy much like capitalism or the UDHR ... it truly is sad that people can distort Islam to persecute and massacre, but have the followers of a distorted version of capitalism not done the same by bringing forth slavery, lynch mobs? But have some of the most willing undersigners of the Declaration of Human Rights not taken that fact as a shield to perform cleanses, to massacre?

Not too long ago, the massacres were done by European settlers on new lands. We then had Nazis, Imperial Japan, then Soviets, Mao`s red army, Pol Pot`s Khmer Rouge, and everyone knows this list can go on. Few did much to stop those, though this time around do we not know the roots of the hatred? Do we not have access to the persecutors and persecutees?

I do hope we do not share too much of this hatred to the point that we ignore the possibility of love. For it has made you and I see. And we are only human. And our Arab neighbours are only human.

15. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, extremists are the worst, but the Islam is deeply flawed and simply medieval. But then I feel the same way about Christianity.

And I never said nuking them is a solution, it's something an Arabic person has actually said to me. Wich shocked me that even they feel their countries are a lost cause.

There's no communicating with these people. I think the western countries need to stop feeling responsible for what they do to their citizens. Eventhough it's going to be hard to just stand by and watch. Invading these countries only leads to new conflicts. It's a viscious cycle.

Besides, you can't win with the Middle East, they've decided that we're the devil a long time ago. Once we move on, they will too. When an entire school ignores a bully, he'll lose his power. Sadly, no one has ever bothered to apply this.

16. Ben

Ben

Under 20% of Muslims are Arabs, by the way.
    The article is speaking about a small group of people from Iraq who have done horrific things to gay people. They are under homophobic persuasion, not Islamic persuasion. It is a cultural homophobia. Religion has been used for centuries to cover up the views of bigots. We can see this in America about 50 years ago, when the KKK went around killing minorities. But we don't say that every American back then was intolerant and wrong. Some were, but we all know that the people weren't that bad in general. And the same should go for The Middle East. the people who get all the media attention are the extremists and so people tend to link the whole geographical area with the minority of bigots.
    From what I've read of The Qur'an, it is no more violent or intolerant than The Bible. And if you read the whole thing in context, it's totally against things like extremism and hypocrisy.
    Things like those said in the article do need to change. But change takes time. And if everyone screams out religious intolerance, it only adds fuel to the fire.

17. endless poetry

HALLELUJAH we have discovered NON-INTERVENTION
    stand by and watch however, ... ... a tad uhmm... we cannot quit professing love, that we must do. howmuch a military intervention does to help a situation, it really depends.