1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ecla News!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Aug 21, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

2. Jekko

WOw that's so great!

3. Eleanor Rigby

That's great news !!!

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I meant ELCA, my mistake....lol

5. Emberstone

Yay... life long member of the ELCA here, and I couldnt be prouder.

Of course, ELCA is far from fundementalist, where a sizeable (not all, but much of) chunk of the homophobic mentality is coming from, so I was confident that it was a matter of time.
    ELCA congregations tend to be very welcoming, or atleast in my experince they have been.

6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

ya my minister's own daughter is a lesbian and I have often talking to my pastor about the issue. Apparently she does have many fundamentalist family members in places like Kansas and Nebraska which still make it difficult.

It will probably cause a minor split in the church, but it goes to show people you can't stop progress and there is no longer room for hate.

7. Emberstone

have my doubt that the missouri senete will like this... but i forget if they are elca.

Still, even if it causes a divide, it still is a step forward. if more people get a chance to actually interact with more people of the lgbt community, then hopefully, as we have seen so far, more people will be more understanding and accepting.

the greatest threat to the homophobes is that people are allowed to get to know gay people.

8. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    aww yay that's great!

9. thevre

I play organ for a Lutheran church (I'm not Lutheran myself) and the pastor was NOT happy about this at all. He didn't right out say it... but he definitely showed it, saying they had "different" ways of thinking... he talked about it during the sermon. I wish I could've done something, but this is my only link to getting money right now.

10. Emberstone

dont blame you for keeping mum to keep your job in this econamy.

if I had to have a choice between paying the bills, and being completely out, I would pay the bills. mans gotta eat and needs a place to sleep.

11. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    awesome stuff

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

In case you guys didn't know the Lutheran church isn't unified. There is the ECLA, Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Synod. They operate as separate entities and broke after an earlier confrontation. The ELCA is larger by all means. The Wisconsin Synod is very conservative and is shrinking at an abysmal pace with less the 500k membership around the US.

13. Emberstone

All I remeber was that one of my brother's girlfriend while he was at pacific lutheren university was missouri synod, and hated it, because she was basically a taught in her church that until she was married and a posession of her husband, she is a posession of her father. They often have a very 'promise keeper' view of gender.

14. Alex19

too cool!