1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my dads at it again...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alex19, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Alex19

so today my dad was watching cnn and they were talking about gay ppl being allowed to adopt. well, he told he that he thinks only single gay ppl should adopt b/c if theyre in a relationship "itll make the kid think that being that way is alright." well, i was not having it and told him he was wrong. he tried quoting the bible again and i told i dont care what it says about what a family should look like. i totally won that arguement, but i wanted to see what your guys pov's are and what i should say to him if this ever happens again.

2. Emberstone

Just point out the inexcusable rate of children being taken by protective services from heterosexual two parent familys who are abusive and neglectful, and point out that the sexual orientation of the parents says absolutly nothing about their ability to raise a child in a safe enviorment that allows them to grow up to be upstanding and contributing citizens.

3. Greggers

Are you out to your dad? If hes telling you to your face he does not think its ok for gay couples to adopt because they will "think that its ok to be gay" then you should slap him in the face and spit on him...

It seems to win that argument you need to change his mind that "gay" is a bad thing. If your out to him, then i would just give him time and he should eventually come around. If hes being stubborn, you can always give him an ultimatum: Until you accept me, you dont have a spot in my life. Of course that only works once your 100% self sufficient...

Other than that, i would go on youtube and look for some clips of debates over this subject. Ive seen alot of good ones on NBC or CNN or such.

4. No One

Man your dad and my dad would be like best friends. they probably already know each other and trade notes lol

5. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

I catch a certain bus from time to time (I have labelled it the bogan express because it goes to the most wonderful *cough* suburbs) and I notice exactly what you are saying everytime I am on it. These kids are running up and down yelling all kinds of expletives and the parents then proceed to be abusive to them. What I especially hate is when I see little babies and then their parents light up and talk about oh this person is an effing c*** etc etc. How come these people are allowed to copulate when gay people in relationships could most likely handle it better than what some of these parents are already doing (I mean its not that hard).

A verse from the song Paranoi by Lit is relevant here...
    "Been around the world and found
    That only stupid people are breeding
    The cretons cloning and feeding
    And I don't even own a tv

But the worst thing about is that people think that we will turn them gay...I don't think they understand that its NOT a lifestyle choice and the child would not be forced by the same sex parents to be gay. IDk if that makes sense (it sounded good in my head :s) but thats my pov

6. shorty

Its funny that the government has policies and licences for just about everything but straight people making children. All the fucked up straight people having kids in this world and abusing them, yet they prefer to focus on stupid shit like stopping loving gay people from getting married? I don't particularly want to get married, but for the love of $DEITY can't they focus on more important things than stopping gay people tying the knot?

7. Alex19

thanx for the input, guys. and yes, greggers, he knows im gay and its all the more reason for him to tell me about what god wants a family structure to look like. as he puts it:

"it goes like this, the father, mother, children, dog. thats how its supposed to go. it says so in the bible."

he was talking about me with his friends and i guess their thoughts were that i dont know im gay b/c i havnt been on a date or anything like that. well, little do they know that i have. and, i am gay :slight_smile:

8. xXHolic

so true, though there are lots of pple who can't truly understand that statement..

9. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    so then any pet other than a dog is out of the question?

yeah... your dad needs to update his version of the ideal family structure >.> because it'd simply have roles instead of those labels.

10. My dad has an array of gutturals that he pronounces whenever he sees gay people kissing, being married, or expressing the fact that they are, in fact, attracted to each other. It's a bit like one of those toys that has built in phrases, and when get to yank the pull string enough, you hear the same sounds again.

I find myself thinking, "Scoff with the undertones of phlegm? He made that one last week when that black cop was making out with his boyfriend on The Shield!"

"A fading but drawn out 'Yuck!' with a garbled ending... Haven't heard that one since the prop 8 protestors!"

I should start logging each one in a moleskin notebook.

11. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

12. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    come to think of if i have never heard my dad talk anything bad about homosexuals and the time he barly talks about it anyway

like i heard him talk about the lgbrt only once in my entire life