1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"1 in 12 transgender people in America is murdered."

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Greggers

*blink blink*

*blink*

Did i read that correctly? 1 in 12 transgender people in America is murdered?

Apparently, according to this article i got from Becky.

Also, 49 per cent of transgender people attempt suicide. Its so sad to think :frowning2: I knew the stats would be higher than the LGB in the LGBT but thats a huge jump, isnt it? I mean, we are talking ATTEMPT suicide here. Ive done that myself, and let me tell you people who have not, its scary as...whats a strong word...fuck? sure. Its scary, lets put it that way.

I just thought i would post this thread to open up some discussion. I still cant wrap my head around the "1 in 12 murdered" thing :frowning2: Its so sad. (Miles, if your reading this, ill kill you if you get murdered! ...wait)

2. kettleoffish

:confused::eek:

oh my god.

3. Lychee

Holy shit.

4. CrystalCat

That's too horrible for words. It's sad how ignorant and close minded people are, for doing crimes to transgendered people. Could you imagine being born the wrong gender? That's something that would definitely affect you, and all these hate crimes just make it worse

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Woah scary statistic

6. endless poetry

that. is. not. right...

7. RainInAfrica

Whatttt:eek:

8. fallendream

D=

can you post this article? or a link to it?

9. Miles D

Yeah, it's true.
    And this doesn't even count people like Robert Eads, a transman denied treatment for his ovarian cancer, who died because of lack of medical care.
    [And I am pretty sure that I would have tried to kill myself if I hadn't transitioned when I did. Luckily I had the resources to live my life how I felt comfortable.]

10. Emberstone

victims of a societiy that worships at the alter of hypocritical intolerence...

11. Greggers

12. Ugh. God. Idont understand people. Even most of my totally accepting friends have some sort of problem with being transgendered... I just don't get it. I don't see what's so wrong about the concept. I mean... Just put yourself in that situation. How would you like to be born the wrong gender? Oh, I know, let's go murder people for something they can't contol!! (obviously none of my friends are anywhere near to that extreme; if they were they would no longer be my friends)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that made no sense but this whole thing just upsets me a lot.

13. RaeofLite

The transgendered/transexual peeps in our LGBTQ community are a part of our community. We need to definately stick togetha! NO MORE HATE for anyone!

14. littledinosaurs

Well that sucks =(
    but i feel like there is so much going on in the realm of trans rights currently that the stat should be lower within a few years. (at least i hope so!)

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its horrible statistics. Miles we love you. Always be safe.

16. Emberstone

I think in some ways, the reason people hate transgendered people is that they dont have a point of reference to understand what it feels like to be fundementaly different from what society has decided to label as the norm.

People fear both that which they dont understand, and that which they refuse to understand.

it is easier for too many people simply to view people who are gay, bisexual/pansexual, Transexual/transgendered as just being bad people, or devient.

In someways, even though I am perfectly comfortably in my body, I cant help but feel that being gay is one thing, but knowing that you are not the gender you look at when you look in the mirror, that has to be something that can be a terrifying prospect to share with others. more and more people are becoming accepting of what we know; that homosexuality/bi-pansexuality is not a choice. But, when you really think about it, it is likely easier for a person to accept that being gay is not a choice, but a natural element of who person is, that it is for someone to be in the wrong gender, and make the choice to hae their body reflect what is inside.

I know people who have become more accepting of gays, but point out that a person who gets a sex change chooses to have the operation, and to them, changing your gender is a abberation.

It saddens me that people dont understand that is not that they choose to go through with a operation or cross dress to feel more like who they know they are, but why.

of course, there will always be people against it. there are still people angry the slaves were freed, and that woman are allowed to vote...

17. Just Adam

this is like mega sad :frowning2: why people live life thinking its right to judge and harm others based on their wanting jsut to live happily as they feel they are meant to be.....its beyond me... i met transgendered people ill admit the first 2 mins i was like umm ok... then i just thought this is a human thats it we are all different and all are special XD

i agree partially with ember that people fear what they dont understand...even if that has an x-men vibe to it its true...(miles you arent a mutant we love you to bits) :kiss: XD

but im not sure one thing can generalised as accepted and another not...their will allwyas be people who accept somthign and others that dont... its jsut the way our world works with different beliefs even though i dont believe it to be right myself. i know people here that would find the concept of believeing i was born the wrong gender to be more less of a choice that to sa i was gay or bi/pan. especially the bi/pan there is still a large stigma ...

but im not saying a transgender life is easy please dont think so i think its one of the hardest things in the world and people should be given all the support they need i would put it in the human rights if i could that all people should be protected.

and im shocked at what you said miles that this man was left to die....its inhuman :frowning2:

please take care miles and all our transgender family (*hug*)

18. Rygirl

It's not just a sad statistic, its an unacceptable one. I do think that it is unacceptable that members of the public are killed for being born in the wrong gender. Unfortunately nothing is going to change until those with power stop following the straight and narrow and realise that these people are just as worthy of their support and protection.

19. Eleanor Rigby

It makes me want to scream.
    Aren't trangendered people going through enought with the pain of being born the wrong gender and having to get through treatments and surgery to match their body with their mind without having to face rejection ?
    When are we going to realize that before being gay, straight, transgender or whatever, we all are human beings and should all be respected for that simple reason ?

20. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

:jawdrop:
    I have no words to describe what I am feeling now. There is no reason for that to be true.