1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"As kids go online, help lines go quiet"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kenko, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Jay D

That is a point actually ... people find it better to ask for help online because it's mostly free whereas phonecalls need paying for.

3. hannahhrosee

ive called one once.
    trevor.
    they told me about this actually.

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I've no phone right now, so that part wouldn't make much difference, however on top of that, I never felt the need to talk about my problems either... well not on the phone, with spontaneous attractive strangers of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. listen up world

Most of the lines are toll free lines and in case of emergency they definitely beat the internet because you can talk to someone right away.

6. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

It's kind of to be expected...technology is changing, and kids are sinking further and further into non-verbal communication...

7. Gaetan

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Writing my questions online is a lot more discreet to me than calling a hotline. A phone call might be overheard, or appear on a bill later on. That can lead to questions you might not be ready to answer.

A post made on a message board can be removed from the browser history. And it cannot be eavesdropped on.

8. GhostDog

Yeah, I can't say I ever felt the need to call. I was never actually upset enough, and I found it a lot easier to actually talk about what was bothering me when I had the time to sit and write it down.

Still. I think it might be helpful sometimes to just hear someone else's voice telling you it's okay. Sometimes it's what you need.

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed, most are toll-free so they can be called free from a payphone, etc.

Also I remember in a presentation from a Youth Help Line, that after a certain time calls were redirected to a general help line, however they would be willing to help in the case of people being kicked out / leaving home and needing a place to stay sort of situations.