1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battleground Maine: They Need Our Help

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I hate to put a plug out there. But for those who don't know it the Maine legislature passed a bill to allow same-sex marriage in Maine. The governor signed it. However, enough signatures were collected, large in part by the Catholic Church, so now all can be lost come November 3.

The vote is crucial for all people in the US who believe in fairness and marriage equality.

Please donate to protect marriage equality in Maine and/ or get all the people you know on facebook groups and call your friends in Maine to let them now you want them to vote NO on 1.

Note: Have to be US resident over 18 to donate, however, anyone can help!!!!!!

http://mainefreedomtomarry.com/

2. 71390S

71390S Guest

I will donate.

This whole "it's legal but now people will vote on it" makes me cry so hard ><

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Actually if this passes at the polls, this will be a sign that marriage equality can not only be won in the courts, but in the state legislatures like it has already shown but also when up for a vote.

VOTE NO ON 1!

4. Emberstone

I thought it was about 55/45 in maine in support of marriage equality.

it is simply a matter of countering the lies of the right wing pundits and get more people on our side to vote. Remind them that this is a matter of equality demanded by he very founding of this country which views 'all men to be created equel" and with "liberity and justice for all"

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Thats according to the polls prior to the election I was referring to the polls on election day, the final tally of the vote. Also, it depends who shows up and the public opinion.

I must add the lovely people at protect marriage equality Maine are doing a wonderful job and are fixing mistakes made in the Prop. 8 fiasco.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been keeping up with news articles on this (and R-71) each day, and it seems that the marriage equality proponents are doing very well this time round. Prop 8 seemed like an absolute disaster for the No on 8 side, whereas this time it's the Yes on 1 side who seem to be having a slow start in their campaign efforts. I'm sure they'll get their campaign of bigotry up and running very quickly though. However, I'm still actually pretty skeptical about Maine voting No on Prop 1. I'm sure I remember a member on here from Maine showing us the statistics from a referendum on anti-discrimination laws which had a lower than expected pass rate. If that is true then chances are an even lower amount will support marriage equality, and that could possibly be a sign that Maine will vote Yes on Prop 1. :\ I'm hoping that I am wrong, but my prediction is that they will veto the bill.

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Lets hope thats not the case. From what I hear almost all the money for the Yes on 1 people are coming from the Catholic Church (which I find a violation of church and state), since they are not a PAC. Also NOM is involved (surprised).

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A poll has been released by Daily Kos (just over halfway down the page) showing 48% of Mainers supporting Yes on 1 while 46% support No on 1. 6% are unsure so will be swing voters.

Not an ideal start, but the campaigning for the No on 1 side seems excellent still.

9. hiddendc4

Yea the whole prop 8 thing here in CA was a mess.

I will have to see what I can do to help since I was born in Maine, maybe I will take part of next weeks check to help out.

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The poll is indeed close and is a prime example we need to fight up to November 3rd here in Maine. Whether it be calling, tweeting, facebook status messages are simply things we can do. Writing letters to the editor and asking relatives and friends in Maine is a good start.

For those like myself who are over 18, please donate if you can to keep the commercials and newspaper ads going strong.

good start, but we have a long way to go till Mainers vote.

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a lack of a better place I'll post this video here:
    [youtube]GrEbJBFWIPk[/youtube]

12. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that was one awe inspiring speach

13. nickmc

I love the speech!
    I can't donate but I'll be keeping a close eye on the Maine situation and will be praying that the swing voters see sense and have the chance to hear Philip's message

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gotta keep the pressure on. The loser religious loonies will stop at nothing, including lying, cheating, striking fear, and any other tactic they can think of. The ads the "Yes on 8" people took in California were such blatant lies I'm amazed no one was prosecuted for them... yet they swung the vote. Hopefully the Maine people are less organized... and with the lower population (and the economy in the shitter) ad time should be less expensive, so perhaps it will be a more even match. But every dollar -- and every communication -- will help.

15. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree with calchip, and that video that was posted made me cry the first time I saw it live, he is the true definition of an ally.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    God Bless Him! I am sitting here crying my eyes out!

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not American so I can't vote :frowning2: or donate :frowning2: :frowning2:

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

but you can blog and write letters to newspapers in Maine.

19. Nugget

Here are the ads.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyW0LUuqmls[/YOUTUBE]

Second ad (that just played on my tv, lolz)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gm7HvaCW2k[/YOUTUBE]

Now here's the Yes on 1 ad.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7bs5yHJv4[/YOUTUBE]

Personally, I think the No on 1 ads are much better than the No on 8 ads this time, not to mention the No on 1 ads are being played much more on channels than Yes on 1.

Still, I'm gonna pray really hard for the sake of all Maine families.

20. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest