1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay bashing cops in atlanta

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Zac4, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Zac4

who cares if they were having sex, the cops took it to xtreme.
    welcome to atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/chief-138328.html

Chief: Vice cops saw sex at gay bar

Amid a community uproar over the raid of a Midtown gay bar, Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington said Monday that undercover vice officers had been to the club on two prior occasions and observed illegal activity there.

The police raid on Thursday at Atlanta Eagle on Ponce de Leon Avenue led to the arrests of eight employees on improper permit charges. They entered not guilty pleas Monday.

During the raid, 62 patrons were ordered facedown on the bar’s floor, some for more than an hour. The customers were searched illegally and some were taunted with anti-gay slurs by some of the officers, the bar’s co-owner said.

According to police records, undercover vice officers had been to the club and witnessed men having sex while other patrons watched. The department received its first complaints in May and sent officers there undercover before the Sept. 10 raid, Pennington said.

Police records show that initial complaints alleged there were drugs being sold on Atlanta Eagle premises and that patrons engaged in open sex acts.

At a press conference, Pennington said he takes seriously allegations of police misconduct. He also expressed regret that Danni Lynn Harris, the department’s liason with the gay and lesbian community, had not been notified of the raid.

“She should have been invited,” Pennington said. If she had been there, the chief said, any inappropriate behavior by the officers could have been curtailed.

“This is very unfortunate this incident occurred,” Pennington said. “I’m sorry for what happened.”

Pennington said each complaint will be thoroughly investigated. If an officer is found to have acted inappropriately, “we will take appropriate action.”

Pennington said no search warrant was served and that patrons were “frisked” for the officers’ safety. Nine undercover officers and a dozen uniformed officers participated in the raid. The team arrived with three jail vans and employed members of the Red Dog unit, typically used in drug investigations, to assist with the arrests.

Garrett McLendon, 43, said patrons were not frisked, they were illegally searched.

McLendon said he found himself laying in glass from a beer bottle that had fallen on the floor. When he asked if he could move, an officer shouted an expletive at him, McLendon said.

McLendon said officers grabbed the prone customers by the back of their pants and turned them over and rifled through their pockets. “Still, as I look back at it, it’s hard to believe,” he said.

The raid began last Thursday after 11 p.m. when police officers entered the bar and told everyone to lie facedown on the floor.

For the next couple of hours, police went through the patrons’ pockets, apparently looking for narcotics, said Alan Begner, Atlanta Eagle’s lawyer. The officers also took everyone’s identification and ran background checks on them. One by one, the customers were allowed to leave, Begner said, noting no drugs or illegal contraband were found during the searches.

“What happened to the customers was an assault,” Begner said. “They were not free to go. There was no suspicion any of them had committed a crime. This is unbelievable.”

Begner also said some of the bar’s customers said they had been subjected to anti-gay slurs by some of the officers.

On Monday, at least 10 of the bar’s patrons and employees went to APD’s Office of Professional Standards to lodge complaints about the way they were treated by the officers conducting the raid.

“This is all about the way my patrons were being treated,” said Atlanta Eagle co-owner Richard Ramey. “They were completely humiliated. It was unjustified for them to be treated that way.”

Atlanta Eagle, located on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Midtown, is one of Atlanta’s oldest gay bars, founded more than 23 years ago. It remains open. A rally opposing the raid was held Sunday at the bar’s parking lot.

Atlanta mayoral candidates, including state Sen. Kasim Reed and city countil president Lisa Borders, have called for an investigation of the incident. City councilwoman Mary Norwood questioned whether this was the best use of police resources. Jesse Spikes, an attorney, said harassing people and treating them unfairly is not something the APD should be doing.

Steve Gower of the Midtown Ponce Security Alliance said he had not received reports or observed anything suggesting that crime and disorder in the neighborhood were attributable to Atlanta Eagle.

“From what we can tell, the staff and patrons of that establishment have enjoyed their evenings quite peacefully,” Gower said in a statement. “We have never observed otherwise, and nobody has ever reported to us otherwise.”

2. shimmersky

We haven't come very far at all since June 28, 1969...

:frowning2:

3. Just Adam

well this has put my back up for the day... this cant be true though.... whoever heard of the police doing illegal raids with no warrants.... and illegal searches... brutallity... slurs and biggotry..... wait >.> ... yeaaaa.

cmon if this was any more obvious it would be a pie in the face...“She should have been invited,” ...wow that was well rehearsed...they just forgot to tell her... yea im convinced >.>

come on though 'somebody' said there was drugs and sex acts happening at the gay bar ...that old line has been used for YEAAARRS... if someoen really did say that then they should be investigated but its prob made up to fit the premise for the raid ...vice cops had been illegally going undercover...nah not really they were off duty havign a drink liek they do every friday night >.> ...

humiliated and victimised... police putting on a uniform thinking they are special and untouchable ... sick....

i guarantee though no officer will have anything done against them in the investigations ...

i know... i have no faith in the authorities..

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Yeah, I agree, I call foul on this too. On one of the local news stations the other day, they said that the APD has a GLBT section that is supposed to follow things like this, and that they were not notified of any potential raids. There's also the fact that there were no search warrants.

5. Just Adam

is there any update on these 'investigations' yet?

6. Jay D

I'm sorry, but this is just out of order. Gay bashing is bad enough without the upholders of the law starting in too! (&&&)

7. Emberstone

well, the police forces of the south are not exactly known for upholding the law. they pretty much do as they please.

There are still people who drive around lousinana rather than thru it. if you have a out of plate license plate in that state, you automatically are considered a prime target for being pulled over whether you have done anything wrong or not. the state has been fighting to clean up that practice or decades, but there are still outof staters being pulledover, their cars impounded, and charges dropped, but they still have to pay thousand doller impound fees.

8. Zac4

On tv they said the guys who were at the bar that nite went to city hall but the cops r saying their 'investigation' will take months. in other words they r hoping ppl will forget.

i couldnt find the vid but heres an article about what happened.
    http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=135203

Protests Over Gay Bar Raid Reach City Hall
    ATLANTA - Days of protests over an Atlanta police raid on a gay bar continued Tuesday afternoon, this time reaching city hall.

About 20 protestors showed up for the Atlanta City Council's Public Safety Committee meeting, claiming the raid was uncalled for and heavy handed.

It happened last Thursday night at the Atlanta Eagle bar on Ponce de Leon Avenue.
    Witnesses say about 20 undercover and uniformed police officers made more than 60 customers lie on the floor while they searched them.
    All the customers were set free after a background check, but 8 bar employees were arrested on entertainment license violations because they had no dance permits.

Police say the raid was the result of some undercover officers seeing public sex acts performed at the club several months ago, but no such acts were seen Thursday night.

Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington publicly apologized on Monday, saying his department would look into any possible misconduct by any of his officers.

Patti Ellis, who has a gay son, was one of those protesting at Tuesday's public safety meeting.

"I want to have confidence in the police department again because what they do for us in fighting crime is just unbelievable," she told 11 Alive News.

"But that was not fighting crime," she added, "that was going in there and harassing people who are gay."

Another protestor, Floyd Taylor, compared it to mass arrests in a public park just because one person breaks the law.

"Suppose you're in Piedmont Park and somebody's fishing without a license," he added, "Do they take everybody in the park and throw them down on the sewer? A license is a license. Somebody was dancing without a licence, okay?"

Deputy Police Chief Carlos Banda told the council members he could not discuss specific allegations about the raid because at least 11 formal complaints have been filed.

He said it could take weeks or months for those investigations to be finished.

9. sexyalex

well said Adam. Well said.:eusa_clap

10. Just Adam

:icon_redf *takes a bow* thankyou thankyou.... *waites for roses to be thrown....keeps waiting....* cheap skates>.>:lol:

11. Zac4

saw this on the news today, thought i'd update this thread.

the cops have done a cover up from hell. i could understand <maybe> if was a small hick town, but the city of atlanta? wtf. do any of us stand a chance?:bang:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/lawsuit-police-erased-evidence-686253.html

12. RedState

The Eagle....hmmm....there is some shady shit that goes on in that bar....I mean REAL SHADY shit.

I went there one time....and one time only...big leather bar (not that there's anything wrong with that..just not my thing)

And for a bar to scare the shit out of me is saying a lot. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

But, your point is well taken. If this was some hick county....say Athens-Clarke County...I could understand. But in Atlanta, which I'm sure you would agree is the gayest city in the South (if not--from a percentage vs. population standpoint--one of the gayest on the East Coast) you would not expect to see something like this.

#12 RedState, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have never been so ashamed to live so close to Atlanta. It is terrifying that these cops can get away with destroying evidence. Why don't they just suspend those involved until this whole discovery process is cleared up? That should solve a lot of this nonsense.

14. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never been so ashamed either. :bang: