1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iowans evenly divided on gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nodnarb, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Nodnarb

According to a new poll by the Des Moines Register, Iowans support a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage by only one percent; 41% to 40%. 17% say they would not vote, and 2% say they aren't sure. And this is three years before there could possibly be a vote on the issue. I am happy to say that Iowa will not end up like California; marriage equality is here to stay:slight_smile:

I am a bit surprised by the poll, because as of right now I had expected support for marriage equality to be around 35% maximum, with a clear majority opposed. I thought we'd be lucky to get opposition to it under 50% by 2012(the first possible time it could be up for a vote). But just 41% opposed is an amazing number, especially for a Midwestern state.

And my favorite number from the poll; 92% said that marriage equality had caused no real change in their lives. If only all of them used some common sense, this wouldn't even be an issue. The U of I professor at the end of the article is right; in a few years most people won't care, it will be the "new normal".

2. Yes :grin:

I was going to say, if people realized that GAY MARRIAGE DOES NOT AFFECT THEM (significantly) they wouldn't vote against it, but you've already said that :slight_smile: Seriously, people. If your religion is against gay marriage, then don't have one. Don't stop others from having them.

3. NickT

Woot! Now if only the other states would realize this v.v

4. Nodnarb

It's been what? Around 6 months? The sky hasn't fallen, God hasn't smote (that's the correct past tense of 'smite', isn't it?) us. There weren't really any major tornadoes this summer, and the weather was so much nicer than normal. If anything, I would say God was actually happy with us:slight_smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

One thing I am amazed by is how much less homophobic central Iowa is than where I grew up in southwest Iowa. I guess part of it is that I'm almost always here on the ISU campus, which is naturally a more liberal and accepting environment, but I feel much more comfortable here. Prior to today, I had gone several weeks without hearing anybody make a homophobic comment or say something like "that's gay". One of my roommates (who are all from NE IA) made one comment the first weekend, but has corrected himself and hasn't said anything since. And all three are completely fine with having a gay roommate. It's nice:slight_smile:

5. Charme

Charme Guest

Rub it in our faces! Lol jk~

6. I think it's smitten. *Googles* Actually, both are forms of smite, so I'm not sure which is correct.

I know right! I mean, I grew up in central Iowa, but in a very small town. Now that I go to school in Des Moines, I am amazed at the acceptance. In my town, "fag, queer, gay" etc are all common insults, but I have never heard anything past "That's gay" in Des Moines (except for one "fag" in all of two years). When people find out (or assume) that I'm gay, they are always completely fine with it. I love it ^_^

7. Emberstone

we still have to work to educate people on the truth about marriage equality... that unlike what the tards in the oklahoma state congress say, allow gays to marraige will not bring a rise in cases of pedophillic rape and molestations. It will not cause natural disasters. It will not make it impossible for heterosexuals to get married. it will not cause the baby jesus to cry tears that flood the earth.

8. Nodnarb

So do I:grin:

I've always like Des Moines as a city, but now I think if I stay in the area after college I'd prefer to stay here in Ames or move down to DSM rather than move back to Omaha. The people here are just so much better:slight_smile:

9. It is an awesome city. Not too big, but plenty to do and see. And it's pwetty :3 I've been to Omaha a few times, but only for the zoo. I didn't really have a lot of interaction with the people.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I used this article for an English assignment :grin: I had to write a summary about author's tone, message, audience, etc, and do a citation.

10. Nodnarb

They're a lot alike, only Omaha is a couple hundred thousand bigger. Although I think Omaha is prettier than DSM. This area of the state is just too flat, if you ask me.

Good choice of article:slight_smile:

11. Not everything in Iowa is flat :wink:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

12. Nodnarb

Lol. I was thinking of that as I made that post:slight_smile: