1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Privilege

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by shimmersky, Sep 24, 2009.

1. shimmersky

2. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's all true.

3. Alex19

so true!!!!

4. DexterMorgan

Yep, that person does have a point!

5. shimmersky

Are there any that stuck out as particularly true for you individually?

Because, for me, a couple of them really hit home:

"If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it has sexual orientation overtones."
    "I can go for months without being called straight."
    "I can choose to not think politically about my sexual orientation."

6. Maggi

i agree, this is so true

7. NickT

I'm so bookmarking this...

8. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that one completely stuck out. It's so awkward to me when classmates come up to me and say something like "oh man this girl I went to summer camp with was so hot, and she had such a great rack!"(it's not often, but when it happens it really awkward for me) I just sort of have to sit there and nod and laugh along with them. I bet they'd be super uncomfortable if I came up to them and said something along the lines of how hot that guy over there is with the cute butt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Greggers

I was just about to say the same thing, and expand on it.

Its not exactly when im talking about my homosexuality, but when i do ANYTHING that people associate with "being gay" (Musicals, Pop Music, Soap Operas, Clothing, ect.) i get accused of pushing my sexual orientation, even though it has nothing to do with me liking penis.

If i was straight and talked about sports or beer or something it would not somehow come back to me pushing my sexual orientation.

10. GhostDog

I hate that. I hate it so much. My school friends talk about cute guys all the time and I'm just sitting here thinking, if I talked about hot chicks, it would be awkward. Even though in this "hawt actors omg" conversation, I'm sitting here saying nothing. >:/ Like, I remember being asked to describe my ideal man in a class once and I blanked. What the hell do I SAY? "My ideal man has boobs and a vagina instead of a penis, and if he has to be a dude, maybe an effeminate transvestite in makeup?" (I ended up saying, "Uh... Clean?" I ended up disclaiming that with "My standards are elsewhere!" which... is true.)

They talk about their boyfriends, fiancees, upcoming weddings, and I'm all "Even if I weren't single, I couldn't even MARRY my partner in this state!" So again, I just sit there and say nothing.

... Even to the people I'm out to, it feels awkward talking about hot ladies. (I'm getting over that though, I think.)

I am so bookmarking this site.

11. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

It's all true. So very true.

12. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly- you hit it right on the nail. No straight guy who I go to school with (except for maybe my roommate) would be comfortable with me making a comment about a guy I thought was hot. But they would have no problem discussing what they think of women in front of me (or at least amongst themselves).

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention the time when I was in the company of some of my (straight) female classmates and they were talking about what they found attractive in men (or something along those lines). I chimed and mentioned that I liked some of the same characteristics they mentioned...the room fell silent for a whole 3 seconds.

#12 edogs334, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  13. digsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's awesome that this list was compiled by straight students. More schools/educational institutions/groups should perform this kind of empathetic activity. It reminds me of that video that I think was posted on EC a while back where a guy got a bunch of straight people to imagine that homosexuality was the norm and they were the outcasts.

14. RaeofLite

Definately bookmarked. Thanks. I'm going to show this to any bigots or friends who are awkward about me being gay. Maybe it'll help clear things up.

15. Just Adam

if i ever get a bf this one will hit :frowning2:

#15 Just Adam, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  16. Possibly Maybe

This one really struck a chord with me. It's all fine if i'm talking about a certain guy, but god forbide if i open my mouth to talk about a hot girl!! Or anyone who isn't straight.. :rolleyes:

17. werekid

18. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahahaa...."hawt actors omg"- that's how most women in my class would have pronounced it....I live in the South, too :icon_bigg Good for you when you said "my standards are elsewhere..."

19. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I like the fact that this was made by straight people. It shows a level of understanding that most (straight) people don't have.

*I can count on finding a therapist or doctor willing and able to talk about my sexuality.
    *I can go home from most meetings, classes, and conversations without feeling excluded, fearful, attacked, isolated, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, stereotyped or feared because of my sexual orientation
    *Nobody calls me straight with maliciousness

Yeah that sounds familiar :dry:

20. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

It's all true. I like this one a lot.

"People do not assume I am experienced in sex (or that I even have it!) merely because of my sexual orientation."

I put up with that all the time and it is extremely annoying.