1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...and the lesbians. (Allure magazine)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by notquitebutch, Sep 29, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I was reading Allure's article on Vanessa Hudgens, and it said;

"Not to mention the screaming kids who swarm Hudgens in the street like a scene out of Hitchcock's The Birds; the paparazzi who park for hours outside of her souse in Studio City, California; the autograph scalpers who hound her at the airport; and the lesbians."
    'one of these things is not like the others' much!?

I just... come on. Really? Comparing lesbians to stalker paparazzi and autograph scalpers? Fuck you, Allure. Because there tooootally aren't creepy straight male fans, oh no, just nasty lesbos.

I got really offended as I was reading that. Like people don't think we're weird enough? So many people idolize her, so there are probably a lot of little tweens thinking, "Oh, ew, lesbians molest people? OMG Poor vanessa omgomgomg" after reading this. I really can't explain why, but this pissed me off. Maybe because they go into the whole story about how some creepy chick started kissing her neck, quoting it to stand out on the next page, and then referring to 'the lesbians' like we all do that. Arrrrgh.

I don't know, am I over-reacting?

#1 notquitebutch, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That is ridic, I never really liked her anyway.

3. Greggers

I think its funny at first :slight_smile: I mean, its just an amazing phrase to stick at the end of any random sentence.

"Blah de Blah Blah Blah de Blah ...and the lesbians!"

:slight_smile:

But it is very offensive in this article, i agree. Its a list of negative things, and lesbians is smack dab at the end of the sentence (the end of, and begining of, a sentence is were you are supposed to put your strongest points / words / ideas at so people can grasp and remember them)

4. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

...who the hell is Vanessa Hudgens...

but on the topic: yeah, that's pretty darn offensive. I kind of want to add that to the end of sentences at random now.

"And there were birds, clouds, and THE LESBIANS."

"I need apples, toilet paper, candy, and THE LESBIANS."

/retard

5. SRSLYMARK

Yeah, that's completely ridiculous. You should write to the editor about it. No joke.

6. Just Adam

that is disgusting publication >.>

on the note though as to what im watching now....murder she wrote and the lesbians...

i dont think anyone capable of swimming in the gene pool will take notice of this, if people as a whole believed this crap nowadays well ...break out the booze and sing as the earth goes to hell...

7. jazzrawr

That's ridiculous. Like, who writes that? Talks about fans, then talks about crazy fans, and then THE LESBIANS.

As if any lesbians like Vanessa Hudgens anyways, we have better taste than that.

But on a lighter note, I agree with Greg and Haiiro, I'm gonna put that on the end of every random sentence. XD

So I have homework in math, english, science, drama and THE LESBIANS.

8. Tiny Catastrophe

that is really ridiculous and completely offensive and i agree that you should write to the editor about that. that sounds like something i would here in the hallways of my high school. that is totally unprofessional.

9. Emberstone

Oh, so you are studying the poetry of Sappho?

10. GhostDog

I don't know, but whatever class that is, I want in on it. =D Hell, UNT has a "beverage survey" class, why the hell not a "Lesbians 101"?

And while I agree that tacking on "...and the lesbians" was in poor taste in the article, I now have a new phrase to interject in various conversations to make it interesting. So for that, thank you, Allure magazine!

[​IMG]

Why, yes, I am going to use that image at every given opportunity, why do you ask?

11. RaeofLite

Thanks for reminding me! I need all of those things when I go grocery shopping today! :grin: (!)

:wink: But on a serious note, it was rather stupid of the magazine to ostracize "us" as an entire group and lumping us in there. I mean, we could have just been mentioned as female fans. I think this whole hollywood craze about being stalker fans or paps is insane. Yea, it's cool that they're inspiring and all, but do you have to chase them to the point where they have to hide from cameras and have tinted windows on their vehicles and escourts?

12. Emberstone

Just further proof that there is a undercurrent of nastyness about the LGBT community that is still way to prelevalant in todays socieity.

13. Nugget

Heh, sounds like something that would be thrown in a magazine targeted at hormone-induced heterosexual tweenies who can just UNDERSTAND THE PAIN.

I had a friend who was just talking to me about her first day of school. All the new classes, teachers, ~*boys*~, and.......... the lesbian. She emphasized all about the fat, yucky lesbian who was supposedly eyeing her while in the locker (whom I wouldn't blame because my friend has good looks). Then she looks at me weirdly when I express distaste for having other boys innocently eye at me.

When I read teen girl magazine articles about gay bi people, they mostly talk about guys. Again, typical.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that would be fun homework.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Lol this reminded me of an episode of The L Word (as most things in my life do). But aside from that, I think it's almost a superfluous thing to tack on at the end of the sentence. Idk it just doesn't seem relevant to me at best, and at worst its a subtle snipe at lesbians.

16. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

What, what? Beverage Survey? What kind of blow off class is that... Lesbians 101 sounds like fun...I'd take that class.

You are quite welcome. I was hoping to pick some up the other day, myself. :lol:

And I agree with you on that serious note. People get way too crazy about celebrities.

17. ChokiE

It sounds so foreboding, like when in Harry Potter whenever someone mentions Voldemort it's always all hush-hush and everyone is all like "GASP!", that is honestly what it reminds me of.

18. jazzrawr

Oh, it's a good class. ;D
    We get one-on-one, hands on training. :grin:

I LOVE that image. XD I'm going to copy it at every given opportunity, flailing arms and all. ^.^

19. Greggers

Lol, Oh how i love that image...

..and the Lesbians.

20. notquitebutch

Oh god I love you guys D: Best new phrase. Ever.