1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Higher Lifetime Cost of Being a Gay Couple

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gaetan, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Gaetan

NY Times Article

Wow. That really sums it up. The bible isn't necessarily the book that's important in today's modern world, it's the checkbook.

..I seriously never thought about gay marriage like this. Hopefully it at least gets some of the right wing thinking.

2. GhostDog

... Damn.

That's a lot of scratch.

I think I'ma link this one around. =/ That ain't right.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Lol ugh I knew there was a reason why everyone hated it. But all joking aside it's mainly because some places don't let you put your partner on your health insurance and you have to file two sets of tax returns. The part I had to snort at was when it was like, "This could be alleviated if the federal government legalized same sex marriage," which we all know will never ever happen here because it would cause a protest over the violation of states' rights.

#3 Phoenix, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  4. Beachboi92

well actually there is a big lawsuit with some very good lawyers going against the federal government to legalize same sex marriage on a constitutional basis. I don't remember all the details but you should be able to look it up. I believe it was set off when prop 8 passed....

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'm sure there are, but you can bet your ass that if it somehow was legalized federally almost all of the south and a good portion of the midwest would be up in arms saying it violates the rights of the states to define marriage for themselves. My state was/is (Idk if it already happened or not) getting ready to sue the federal government over DOMA with the same defense saying that it prevented the states from defining marriage how they saw fit.

6. Just Adam

if i was in teh usa i could never afford that kind of money ! thats in human asking people to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars based on sexuality...

7. notquitebutch

That was an excellent, very scary article. I'm going to send it around soon, since NJ (i just moved, but family is still there) is voting on this soon. Hopefully I can convince some people to vote in favor if they aren't already :/

8. Greggers

Why do i live in Canada again? Oh yes, provincial and federal benefits for gay couples under the word "Marriage" :slight_smile:

...but it makes me very sad to see things like this. I like America alot, and many of the people in it, but sometimes y'all dont make yourself very appealing to a gay person :frowning2: With articles like this though alot of people who once were not pro gay marriage will definitely be on board.

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

it's changing little by little, we made big changes this year and even more to come next year! :slight_smile: