1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay French footballers 'snubbed by Muslim team'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dude99, Oct 7, 2009.

1. dude99

dude99 Guest

October 7, 2009 - 8:11AM
    An amateur club of gay football players in Paris said Tuesday its members were victims of homophobia when a team of Muslim players refused to play a match against them.

The Paris Foot Gay team says it received an e-mail Saturday from the Creteil Bebel club canceling a match scheduled for the following day.

"Because of the principles of our team, which is a team of devout Muslims, we can't play against you," the e-mail said, according to Paris Foot Gay. The e-mail continued with: "Our convictions are much more important than a simple football match."

Paris Foot Gay said in a statement that it asked the amateur league to sanction Creteil Bebel.

"This team refused to show up simply so it didn't have to play against homosexuals," the statement said.

Zahir Belgarbi, identified as a spokesman for Creteil Bebel, told France-Info radio that he apologised if "anyone felt upset or hurt" about the decision.

But "as a Muslim, I have the right to decide not to play against homosexuals because I don't agree with their ideas," he said.

AP

http://www.theage.com.au/world/gay-french-footballers-snubbed-by-muslim-team-20091007-glll.html

The muslim soccer side should be fined or disqualifed from the competition.

2. olides84

Didn't know that religious freedom extended to football matches :confused:
    I agree. Of course they have the right not to play, but that should lose them the right to play anyone in whatever competition/association they play in.

#2 olides84, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. littledinosaurs

Hmmmm.
    I mean obviously this issue is gonna come up when you're making teams based on common factors other than the love of playing.
    It's rude, but fining or disqualifying them isn't really going to change anything, they just won't compete in the future because it conflicts with their beliefs.
    *shrug*

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate how when gay people play sports everyone else is afraid of being groped. :dry: Every sport seems to have this problem, even the non contact sports. At least this team has their "religious convictions" to use as an excuse so they don't look bad, even though they still do. I agree, they ought to be fined or penalized in some manner, not for refusing to play but for their discriminatory remarks on the reason why. If you don’t like the idea of facing other people, don’t play the damn game!

5. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Oh look, religion is yet again being used as an excuse to be incredibly narrow minded and stubborn beyond objectivity.

What surprises me is that if in the same right, the team of gay football players refused to play against the other team purely based on the assertion that they are muslim, I'm sure it would spark a lot of civil rights conjecture among others and would get a whole lot more publicity than this.

It sports yet another way for people to alienate us.

6. Emberstone

"But "as a Muslim, I have the right to decide not to play against homosexuals because I don't agree with their ideas," he said."

I never knew there were gay ideas. I thought that we were merely seeking equality and to be treated fairly and with dignity.

Maybe I should take the muslim team to task for ignoring the quranical value that all are equel in the eyes of allah. Alot of people scoff at that, but it is a oft ignored tenent of islam. There is so much disinformation, both outside of, and inside islam, about what islam really preaches. Fundementalist christanity proves the same holds true for christanity.

I value faith and religion and spirituality... I dont value idiocy.

*shoves a pinecone up pat robertson's left nostril.*

7. Just Adam

as far as im concerned this is good! it shows their patheticness.. "our convictions are more important than a simple football match" or... if its only a simple match why dont you relaly have teh conviction of your religion to rise above this and just play teh match if its not such a big thing...

they should be banned from pplaying as who is next/ "we cant play you your christian"
    "whos hindu!" etc etc .... its like ffs... come on >.> grow up.

8. Eleanor Rigby

Well, apparently the captain of the team the Creteil Bebel said in an interview that he disagred with the president of the club. He said that some members of the team were schocked with the name "Paris Gay Foot" but that neither him, none the other players have asked not to play and that this decision had been made by the president of the club without consulting the team first. He said he wanted for the match to take place to prove that they were not homophobic.
    The coach of the Paris Gay Foot said that if the Creteil Bebel team wants to play he was all for it.

9. Just Adam

dont matter what the team says and they know it they can say oh yes we would love to play were not homophobic, they can say that to the media knowing fullw ell nothign they say will cahgne the fact they wont play them as they are jsut players the team boss says no its no they wont argue he pays their wages..... and if they did play there would surelly be backlash from their supoprters so it woulent be worth it... never believe the crap these people say ..

10. olides84

That's good to hear. Hopefully it happens. Probably the only way to save the team's ass in being able to play in the league.

11. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    if thats the case teams should be able to not play vrs them because they are muslem. ofc its silly . its a sport religion and whatnot should have no effect ..

maybe just maybe they were scared of losing to a team full of gay men xD

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Lol and what exactly are the "ideas of homosexuals?"

13. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Our convictions are much more important than a simple football match."

Then they're not true footballers!

14. olides84

15. Mickey

Good post. I agree 100%. This also applies in all facets of life. Homophobia in all sports is well known. Some people just have a warped idea of how gay people are. It's definitely sad,but it's reality,unfortunetly. :dry: