1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer as folk stereotypes

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Magiclukie, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Magiclukie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are alot of stereo types in that show, and its still a good show. the only one that bothers me is the one that says all gay men do hard drugs like candy, Its not true! and offincive. ive never even smoked weed!

2. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    the last thing ill do on earth is smoke or take anykind of drugs because you have to be either really stupid to take it or addicicted from taking it withnout knowing like having a friend say its normal candy but i doubt that can happen

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I don't get the heavy drug use in that show. I guess for every semi-realistic depiction that proves gay people are not all sick or promiscuous delinquents there is some price to pay... even though the show followed that stereotype too.

It was still an awesome show in my book. :thumbsup: I still love it!

4. littledinosaurs

Honestly i think that hard drugs just make good TV and it happened to also be a stereotype. I don't think it was put there to imply that all gay men do hard drugs.

5. Beachboi92

omg i watched it yesterday night and i was thinking the same thing how many stereotypes are put up in that show but so much eye candy xD

6. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i coudnt get past the first season but that blond kid isnt good looking in my opionion i mena bodywise but his face is a huge turn off

7. Greggers

Ive watched alot of interviews with the writers of that show. They explain that the show is about one specific group of people and is not supposed to represent all gay people (after all, how can we take 6-7 people and assume that anything they do represents millions of others? That would be silly...). The people doing drugs in the show are generally club junkies that go clubbing all the time, or the people who get sucked into that word, like Ted. This is an accurate representation of a small, but present, part of the LGBT community. No, that does not mean all gay people do drugs. That means there are a group of gay people who are more likely to do drugs. I think its un-fair to judge Queer as Folk as being anything other than what is it: A fictional TV show about a group of LGBT friends in Pittsburgh.