1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama reaffirms will end 'don't ask, don't tell'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Totoro, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Totoro

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_gays

Well i know Obama is all talk right now, but it's still good news right ;3

2. Greggers

Honestly?

I hear the words "Obama" and "speech" and i tune out completely.

Its all nice and dandy to have him rub our egos and say nice words about us, but when the "fierce action" he takes is throwing a few parties for the gays and giving us a *cough* "Pride Month" *eye roll* then i think he needs to suit up or shut up. Im not saying that him giving these speeches is bad, more...neutral. Its not getting anything done, but it does not hurt either. For once id like my news article about Obama and the LTGBt community to be about a hault he put on the firing of the gay soldiers in the military or information on the action he is taking, not just *planning* on taking.

Every hear the story of the Boy who Cried Wolf? What about the story of the President who Cried 'End DADT'?

3. RaeofLite

I keep my fingers crossed that he'll get Congress and those other blockheads to "see straight" (no pun intended) on this issue.

Hopefully he will do his duty and I have a feeling he has a gay friend or two that helped him see what the world is really like for the LGBTQ community.. :slight_smile:

4. Shevanel

I can't believe I'm the one that's going to defend Obama here, but look, many of the people who wanted him as president are now upset, but they should only blame themselves for choosing him =P.

And Obama also said he's about to sign that bill that makes Crimes based on Sexual Orientation into Federal Hate Crimes or whatever. This time I truly believe he'll at the very least do that. Ending DADT may be a tad harder than the strokes of a pen, but we'll see.

Shit doesn't happen at the snap of a finger.

5. Just Adam

the thigns obamas been saying its almost liek hes been reading my posts >.>...could of given me a mention...

i just dont have hope...

i will give him a tip though you have to show the peopel progress no matter how small ...to keep going back say ing ahh its hard im trying...it shows you as a leader with no bite withen your political system... which isnt good when you rely on them to help us...

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

If things start to get worse near the end of his first term and he knows he needs something for re-election then yes I think he will push to repeal it. If the republicans pull a "John Kerry" canidate then he'll likely wait till his second term to do so and say that progress is slow but we are on the right path or something.

#6 Legnaj, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  7. starfish

I just learned something. I always thought that DADT was an executive order, not a law.

Well that explains why it is still there. If if was an executive order he could just issue a new one at any time. Since it is law Congress need to pass a new one.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but don't count on it happening any time soon. Obama is president and has 0 legislative power. All he can do is ask them to introduce legislation that he wants and to pass it. We've all see seen how that has worked with health care reform.

8. littledinosaurs

Can we just keep DADT until i'm 25?
    Cause if i ever got drafted i'm really not looking forward to shooting my foot / a bald eagle.

9. Emberstone

I dont know...

Econamy, two wars, and healthcare are more important in my book... I trust it will come, but you cant overtun doma or dada without support, and he is getting it by working with generals and members of congress to make sure it is as smooth of a transition as possible. if it isnt done right, it would be easier for someone to come along later repeal the repeal. They have to close any and all loopholes they can find. it needs to be air tight.

10. kramer362

Pretty much. Clinton tried allowing gay people to serve openly in the early 90s I believe and Congress were the ones who shot it down to introduce their 'compromise' of Don't Ask Don't Tell (don't pursue don't harass). Of course that last bit about not pursuing or harassing is ignored when the policy is implemented- how fucking wonderful gay servicemembers have to even hide their identity in their personal emails...

11. Emberstone

Really pissed off at a conservative from georgia who basically said that allowing gays in the military would hinder national security... but in typical style, could not justify why that was true.

I am getting sick of blanket statements about the gay community.

12. Just Adam

there wa a report of an lgbt march in washington on news last night...people are not happy... lots and lots of people felt hes turned his back on them ... :frowning2: i feel sorry for them, lgbt people can have the hardest lives in communitys .... and they are all jsut looking for some hope, jsut some progress however small but nothings happening....

yes it is a law and yes it will take time but there are many steps to chngeing the law if any had been taken people would believe somthing was happening instead of a human rights lgbt vote politcal smokescreen.

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obama "reaffirms" a lot... does little, but reaffirms a lot. But it's classical Macchiavellianism! Hit people with the bad things in one swoop near the start, and then spread a lot of little good things out over the rest of your time and make a big deal out of it everytime you do so.

Of course, depending on where your voter base lies, one person't good thing might be another person's disaster. So it's a balancing act...

Now, Obama has been all talk on glbt for now, but let's be honest here. The previous guy was worse, and I don't really think the alternative was any better. And giving up hope is something you should never do. Just throwing your hands in the air and saying it's ruined won't make any laws pass. There's still some years yet to put pressure and keep the promise fresh in mind. It might suck for the remaining few years, but a solution is still closer than it was ever since they implemented the damn thing!

14. Just Adam

filip you need to send obama an email tell him hes got it wrong, tell him your coming back with teh big deal but with nothing to say... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Emberstone

he has been working with the pentagon to get a plan together on overturning it.

Remeber, checks and balances. Congress has had many chances to start getting their own bill together on this, and have been dropping the ball while they bicker and fight about everything else.

if it was solely up to the president, there would never have been a need for a congress in the first place.

16. Mickey

I know people are upset over this but let me add my 2 cents. I think Obama will do as promised. It all takes time. He has a lot of crap to deal with,especially from the Bush years.
    He's trying and that's more than we've ever had. I believe he'll do as he says. It just will take some time and patience. We have come a long way. I know we have a long way to go,yet. But I do believe it's just a matter of time before this all unfolds.
    IMO,I will wait and see and I KNOW it'll happen.

17. Just Adam

the more i read about about obama the more all i think is...does he have the power to do anything?... i know thats an insane thoguht he is the president head of the military etc etc...but, apart from making coffee what can he do.... you see them in public his wife is sooooo in charge of that marriage... bit liek bill and hillary but she says bill yada yada yada darkside and he just goes, huh huh thats nice dear and ignores her...

if he cant do anything i woud say so its them assholes in congress or whatever they screwing this up...make them public enemy number one and when tehy come out of ...work? :S at teh end of teh day they find their cars painted with rainbows and on fire...it not an idea...its just a thought

18. Beachboi92

Ok i think a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about the march and people angry with Obama. The march was to put pressure and remind him that we are not going anywhere (there was 80,000+ there) He got a massive base of support from LGBT community and so far DOMA has been protected by his administration in court although they did finally pass the one about including sexual orientation in hate crimes :grin: The problem is he talked a lot about how he wanted to repeal DOMA and end DADT but all he has done is talked about how he plans to do it. People need more than just a yeah i'll do it later. He needs to take some sort of action and let it be known even if it is a small one and people are not seeing what he promised for all the support the LGBT community gave him...

19. Just Adam

exactly this guy gets it XD

obama needs to remember hes made BIG promises to a massive voter demographic... he wanted teh minority support to get elected he did he wants to champion us well do it oras is the way in politics we will hang you out to dry and crucify you come ellection...we i say we its teh royal we ill crucify with my death glare at tv... XD

20. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's a problem with that. If he doesn't do a single thing for the LGBT community at all, come the next election do you honestly think the LGBT community is going to vote for whoever the Republicans nominate? All he has to do to get our support is do nothing because his opposition will do something like DOMA. It's not like any third party candidate has a viable chance that could steal votes and support. Unless the recent infighting of the republicans actually forces a spilt and we wind up with a viable moderate third party, Obama has absolutly no political incentive to help us. If anything, helping us, hurts him politically. And until that changes, he will say and promise lots of things and then just blame congress's inaction if they don't get done.