1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvey Milk Day in Cali Signed into Law!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Oct 12, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The Terminator (California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger-cant spell) has signed into law a day commemorating the the life of Harvey Milk. It's progress for a civil rights icon to be recognized for his accomplishments with his very own holiday!

2. Greggers

Is it a "holiday" holiday? The one you get off work and school? ...or a "special" day that no one really remembers unless they are gay and go out of their way to learn about such things :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

They don't get off from school, but in school they encourage history teachers to talk about him.

4. Shevanel

Again, as out of character for me as this is, I think its better that kids don't get off school for this day. Education for this day especially would be good, ya know?

So as much as I'd be supporting a day off, I think for this day its more important that kids actually learn what the day is about.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just happy that those bigots didn't win again. They said Harvey Milk is a pedophile and such and if they approved the day they'd be approving acceptance of pedophilia lol

6. hiddendc4

I didn't know his was signed into law, I know EQCA has been stressing over it. It may be a small step forward, but it is definitely better than no step at all.

7. Shevanel

See this is how people should think :slight_smile: Instead of people bitching about the negatives. That gets us nowhere fast.

8. hiddendc4

Thanks Joey :grin:

9. Greggers

I could see some shit coming up in the future if schools are required (or even encouraged) to talk about Harvey Milk in schools on this day. Those crazy family organizations like to blow this stuff out of the water. I still think its important that you learn about him, more so in California were he changed politics so much and was such an important part of the states history. And who knows, if it gets a crap load of backlash from different crazy groups thats just extra attention to the day itself so more people get informed.

10. Emberstone

I had heard that the first time this was brought forward, the govenator vetoed it. I wonder what is different this time?

11. hiddendc4

Just checked my email and in the newsletter from EQCA it says that there were 3 pieces of legislation signed into law today: Harvey Milk Day,The Family Protection and Marriage Recognition Act (recognizes same sex marriages from other states), and The LGBT Domestic Violence Programs Expansion Bill (expands funding for LGBT domestic violence programs in California)

12. djt820

No.

13. Markio

I like how the phrase "Cali" is in the title of this thread. I immediately thought, "this thread was not started by someone in California," and sure enough it was not. I've never heard a person from California call it "Cali", although I did hear my teacher use that word today. I don't think she's from California either.

I'm sorry, that's almost entirely off-topic. I'm glad it's a holiday, though.

14. Just Adam

i think its been long overdue... not wher ei would of suspected it but arnie yay XD

i think people should be made to learn about lgbt life in schools as they learn about all other areas of life , religions the persecution of teh jews, mlk and his tragic hard thoguht life, so why not harvery milk and his like too...

after all the people who bitch about having lgbt info in schools also think science is a sin and we should all be made to believe a giant created teh world and was sick all over it and we evolved from bits of carrot and broccoli...or somethign religious like that.... i really should check how accurate that copy of the bible is ..>.>

15. mattypants

glad to hear. though first ive heard of it i think.

a holiday? im inclined to think that the day should have been spent in school to go over a brief glbt history in the state or something though. meh

i thought the same thing.
    its a well established thing that only non-californians say "cali" :lol: they cant help it

and also, its "the governator" :wink:

/done being a picky californian :lol:

16. Emberstone

In oregon, we refer to a person running a stop sign to be a 'California stop.'

That was today's pointless oregon tidbit, for october 13th, 2009.

So california now recognizes same-sex marriages from out of state? or was that for another state, and the email was referencing laws passed from states all over the nation?

Either way, it is good news.

17. mattypants

i wounder if anyother of my statesmen have heard this... cause ive also heard people use "california roll", which is synonomys to the stop... but ive NEVER heard these terms uttered by a native... :eek: maybe its just me :dry:

#17 mattypants, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  18. Emberstone

I think we need to work to get harvey milk day national. the truth is, he wasnt just fighting for the gays, he sought and represented everyone, and the gay supporters were only part of the group that helped elect him. He also represents the danger of hatred, and is a symbol of what happens when people act on hate.

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I guess it's a northeastern thing. Like when you people refer to Manhattan as New York....most of us in the metro area call it "the city" even though we have plenty of big cities. And New Jersey is just Jersey. We try to use the least amount of syllables if we can....we are busy people people.