1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Will You Do to Fight for Equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by s5m1, Oct 12, 2009.

1. s5m1

Participating in the march yesterday was a very moving experience for me. I felt so proud walking down Pennsylvania Avenue holding hands with my boyfriend. Watching countless young people out and proud, old gay and lesbian couples side by side and same sex parents with their kids gave me hope for our cause. Remember, this march was organized by a small group of regular people who had an idea and who worked tirelessly to see it happen. Just like with the creation of PFLAG, these few people have made an impact on the lives of LGBT people all over.

Leading up to the march, and particularly since it, I have been thinking about what I can do to help fight for LGBT rights. I am not going to sit on the sidelines any longer in this struggle.

Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone else thought about what they can do as individuals in the fight for equality? I think we should all challenge ourselves to contribute to this cause in whatever way we feel comfortable, but we all should do something.

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Well I could say that the march fuled my fire but it only added to it, your words in an older post lit my fire. And I thank you for that.

I plan to join the GLBSU as soon as this month is over. Its like a activist version of GSA which I was looking for :icon_bigg

3. Greggers

Fortunately, im blessed to live in a country that gives me near-full rights and protections under the law (Canada <3) so thats not a battle i have to fight. I will continue to cheer on and support my American brethren in their fight and i promise to keep myself educated on the American fight as a proud gay person. What im doing personally though is simple, but powerful. Im being unapologetically me. Seeing as "me" = flamingly uber gay, that takes alot of courage. Other than that i guess trying to help others out on this site as much as i can is all i can do for now. Oh, and staying informed and voting for pro-gay people in all my elections. Thats what i get for living in Canada i guess, no Prop 8 to stir the masses.

4. Emberstone

for now, I am just focused on coming further out of the closet. Right now, only a few people in my family know, and I need to keep moving towards being out. As it is, anything I do, activisem wise, has to be done in secret from my unaware family members. I will still try to get involved, but I have to be sure my family doesnt find out... not the way I want it to happen.

5. Jim1454

I just plan to keep coming out. After doing wife and friends and immediate family over a year ago, and then my kids and extended family this past summer, I've also come out to my kids' teachers and most recently my Minister.

Next will be at work.

Raising awareness and providing people with an example of someone that isn't "flamingly uber gay" yet gay nonetheless.

6. EM68

Just like Jim I plan to finish coming out to my family. I hope before the holidays so I can bring my bf around. I also plan to not hide at work anymore (I never did hide but only told a couple of trusted people I am gay). If anyone asks if I am dating I will say yes and I have a wonderful bf.

When my schedule frees up I want to resume going to PFLAG meeting to support others who are stuggling to come out. With out them and EC I would not know where I would be.

7. RaeofLite

I would have loved to walk in that march. For a country that seems so "modern", some of its ideals/laws are quite backward (ex: the huge mass that voted yes for Prop 8 = wtf??! x1000). From Canada though we have hate crimes covered.

I will watch and fight for rights here, thinking about starting a GSA or possible "rainbow space" for LGBT students on my college campus. Still not sure how that would play out yet..

8. Emberstone

the more people who know us personally will be more peope who will see we arent perverts, pedophilles, and terrorists.