1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial Couple Denied Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Emberstone

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

This frustrates me, expecially since it is against the law to deny a marriage license to anyone based on the race of one or both members.

I know this isnt directly related to gay rights, but it is related to marriage rights and equality. There is a connection to interracial marriage and gay marriage rights.

This guy even uses the standard bigot responce "I am not racist/homohobic, I just dont think interracial/gay marraiges can last, and that effects the children of interracial/gay couples."

2. Corny

Corny Guest

If somebody starts a sentence with "I am not ... but" chances are high that he is.
    Same when he starts with I have many friends that are ... , but"

3. olides84

^Especially if he has to clarify that these 'friends' can actually use the bathroom in this house. Wow, what a guy! :dry: I'm glad the ACLU is going after him.

4. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

dammit. us mixed racial kids aren't THAT screwed up! i mean sure, were screwed up, but so are the inbred english royalty! were all screwed up, and its the screw ups that make us interesting!

and yes i did just pull a house quote :confused:

5. HighintheClouds

Well... Wonder how he's gonna feel when he sees this couple here.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to Katherine for putting it on the Gay Couples Thread.

6. EM68

That is disgusting. Even though it is not about gay rights, its about human rights! The justice of the peace should loose his license.

7. Étoile

I'd expect this in 1964, not 2009. I hope the couple have a happy marriage, produce lots of kids, and rub it in his face.

8. AtomicCafe

Hey, guys, I'm not anti-interracial or gay marriage, but just know that none of you can use my bathroom because you're subhumans. (I can see this becoming a new Kayne-esque meme.)

I seriously had to look for an Onion logo on that page. Normally, I'd say, "People are STILL that ignorant?" but just looking outside answers that one.

9. Nitro

How quaint! This in the day in age his countrymen elected a mulatto for president.

10. AtomicCafe

^ That's only because it was the white man's burden to do so!

11. kettleoffish

What the hell is wrong with the world? I thought interracial marriage was completely normal :bang:

seriously, What?

12. s5m1

This is outrageous, and it is also clearly illegal. Be patient, though. I’ll bet the headlines will soon be that he was removed from office by the state and the United States Department of Justice has filed a civil rights action against him. The couple also clearly has a civil rights law suit they can file against the guy. It is hard to believe someone could be that stupid.

13. SRSLYMARK

This is extremely unsettling. Just goes to show we aren't as advanced as we thought....

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

To think there are people still around like him make me sick....he should be striped of his license to perform marriages and find a new line of work, however, it might be hard to find a welcoming group outside (even family groups aren't against interracial marriage).

15. littledinosaurs

I don't know why but this phrase stuck with me from the article. But it's still not his job to decide who he's comfortable marrying.

16. Emberstone

I am really angry about this. This guy just doesnt get it... The law is clear; you cant deny a interracial couple the right to marriage.

It frustrates me that this is even happening.

I looked to the statements said against interracial marriage in the 50's and 60's and saw that many of the same arguements against it are quite similer, and at times the same, as the ones being used against gay marriage. I thought the fight over interracial marriage was settled.

It reminds me of how the KKK was protected because they were the law.

It seems racist, idiots, and jackasses are still the law in some parts of the nation.

I hope keith bardwell is disbarred for breaking federal law.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually going to use a Kanye phrase to insult this idiot.

"Justice Bardwell, I'm gonna let you finish, BUT PROP 8 HAD THE BEST DENIAL OF MARRIAGE OF ALL TIME!"

Like it? I should hope so. But I still think this prick should have his marrying license revoked.

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Even Governor Jindal of Louisiana is on board asking for his dismissal.

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *insert generic comment about how sad this is etc etc*

Why is this in LGBT? Yes it has to do with inequality and stuff but this does not have a place in the LGBT forum. >_>

20. Emberstone

Mainly because this forum also deals with age of consent and marriage laws. If we are going to profess marriage equality, I think we need to stand up to any example of marriage iniquality simply on the basis that injustice is injustice regardless.