1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ally Week!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JurrBurr, Oct 18, 2009.

1. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Who's ready for it? I know I am! I got all my gear last friday for it in the mail! I bought posters, buttons, stickers, etc. etc. :slight_smile:

Ally Week is 19-23

Info about ally week for those of you who do not know what it is.

(Info from allyweek.org)

Students plan events appropriate to their school community.

Students will encourage their peers and school staff to sign an Ally Pledge which states:

I believe all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression,
    deserve to feel safe and supported. That means I pledge to:
    1. Not use anti-LGBT language and slurs;
    2. Intervene, if I safely can, in situations where other students are being harassed;
    3. Support efforts to end bullying and harassment.

What is an Ally?

Often referred to as "straight allies," allies generally are non-LGBT people who are committed to ending bias and discrimination against LGBT people. While straight allies are an integral part of GLSEN's Ally Week, the term "ally" is more inclusive within the Safe Schools Movement to refer to anyone who supports ending anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. For instance, a bisexual adult can be an ally to LGBT students, and a lesbian student can be an ally to a transgender student.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What a great idea! I haven't heard of this before.