1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josie, the *adorble* transgender girl

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Miles D, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Miles D

Okay, so other people may notice other things about this story, but mostly I wanted to say OMFG She's so adorable!!!!!!!!

That's all.

Oh, P.S. What do you guys think of trans kids transitioning before the age of consent? All her documents are changed, her name and her gender on her Social Security, birth certificate, etc. No permanent physical alterations yet... your opinions?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ured-Josie-transgender-year-old-born-boy.html

http://tv.sky.com/age-8-and-wanting-a-sex-change

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6333217/Boy-8-has-sex-change.html

----------

Another thing I want to mention is that NO non-transperson knows what it's like to feel that you were born with the wrong body. Just keep that in mind, that you can't say that she should have to wait when you've never experienced that.

#1 Miles D, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Paragon

Paragon Guest

CUTE! :slight_smile:
    i hope all her dreams come true xx

3. RainbowJay

I think that's an amazing story :]

wow, I wish I was that persistent when I was young :eusa_clap
    but, yeah, Josie is adorable, I'm amazed that the parents were so accepting of it and are willing to make it go further, I wish my parents didn't try to girl me up when I was young, it was ridiculous ._.

and I'm quite shocked that they would allow the transition at such a young age, before going through puberty, wow, amazing o.o

4. Emberstone

I can see a transgendered person knowing they were born in the wrong body at such a young age moreso than say a 7-8 year old knowing they are gay; mainly because, until you start to hit puberty, you really dont have attraction drives. But what we are seeing, is that more and more middle schoolers who are at that transitional age are coming out, and I am hoping that schools will be more accepting than they were with josie.

The world is changing, and gender and sexual orientation are becoming more accepted. Kudos to josie's parents for caring enough about their children to accept their true natures. If only more people were like that.

5. IMO, waiting to the age of consent seems a little silly. Why would you put a person through that many years of emotional pain when it can obviously be recognized very early? If it's recognized when the person is six, that person could live as the correct gender for the twelve years that waiting for the age of consent would take (assuming the age of consent is 18).

Also, maybe this is just me, but I noticed in one of the articles they used the word "diagnosed." Perhaps that's the right term, I wouldn't really know, but that makes it seem like it's some sort of... mental illness or something. Did that bother anyone else?

diagnose in the Merriam-Webster:

1 a : to recognize (as a disease) by signs and symptoms b : to diagnose a disease or condition in <diagnosed the patient>
    2 : to analyze the cause or nature of <diagnose the problem>

6. Paragon

Paragon Guest

i think it is a problem if your born into the wrong body, so im not completely against the word diagnose, its not a disease, but its a problem for that person

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the stories of young children discovering that they are different and taking the steps towards correcting their bodies to match their mindsets. It gives them a chance to start with hormones before nature gives them the harsh situation of going through puberty in the wrong body. She’s such a pretty girl too! I hope she and her amazingly supportive family continue to share their story in the hopes that many other younger transgender people can draw inspiration from them.

8. Awww! xD She's adorable and I'm so glad her parents have accepted her as who she is. *runs off to record the documentary*

9. TyPod

He's alot older now.
    There was a documentery on 4 about him tonight and he was topless in the bathroom
    he's quite fit :wink:

10. Paragon

Paragon Guest

^
    he? did he decide to stay a boy?

11. Emberstone

I dont know... diagnosis does have a stigma of a "problem" that makes me uncomfotable when it is applied to people who are transgendered, or of a different sexual orientation. I always prefered "discovered" to diagnose because it doesnt imply that it is a negative thing.

12. AtomicCafe

This confuses me so much since the articles are from this month. :lol:

13. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think that the sex change was too soon. just my opinion.
    I mean, at that age....
    what if he wants to turn back? o.o

I just think, at 8, you're too young. maybe somewhere between 10-16. but 8? I think that's a bit risky. as, it may very well be real, but what if it is a phase? I just think, at 8, they play around too much. they should wait until they're mindful of what they want.

but, idk. just my opinion.
    please don't kill me o.o

14. Emberstone

cant watch it since it only is watchable in the uk and ireland on their website. I dont know if this shows in the us.

15. riddlerno1

The documentary showed a 16 year old female who had started hormone treatment. I think thats who is now being discussed, not josie.

16. TyPod

Yehh, my bad :eusa_doh:

17. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow that was really interesting. Thanks for posting miles. And I think that you made a really good point:

I can never know what a transgendered person feels like, because although I am the biggest tomboy, I am still happy being of the lady variety. But I am going to play devils advocate with this story, because I am not entirely sure an 8 year old has the capacity to make such life altering decisions. I mean hormonal treatment isnt something you just take without understanding the consequences. Thats a separate issue though,,,what hit me first about this story is "Why the hell is this in the news!". I do not understand how parents can claim to be protecting their child when they have sold their story to the media. That lost my respect right their. So they have a transgendered child, thats going to have huge psychological affects on the kid as it is. Plastering the kids picture all over international newspapers is going to do nothing to help that. Im sorry if this offends anyone but those parents are just irresponsible fame seekers, who are using their child for their own benefit. If they truly wanted to promote childhood transgenderism for greater good then there was no need to have glossy pictures of their daughter.

18. BlasttheCloset

I agree that it is a huge decision that will affect Josie for the rest of her life, but she has said this since she was a little kid and knew the difference. I think that shows that it is not just a phase, that it is more of who she is. And I mean, saying that she can't know, that she isn't mindful of what she wants--seriously, how is that different than telling a gay person that he can't know he's gay if he hasn't tried to be straight? Gay people know their identities, some earlier than others, and most people know their genders without even having to think about it. And there is a new option for transgendered kids and young teens, a hormone blocker that does not permanently change their gender, but prevents them from going through puberty for a few extra years, after which they can decide to be their original birth gender or take hormones to transition. Something to consider for kids, to let them live how they feel they are, without forcing them to live in the wrong body forever, if they made the wrong decision.

Normally, I would agree with you here, but this is an unusual story, and letting people hear stories like this one is essential to building tolerance and changing the public perception of queers and transgendered people, so that they can be seen as people and not freaks.

19. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not a discovery, they always knew what they were but just weren't.

Transgendered is a complete different thing from being gay, so if you are thinking that because some people used to think that being gay was a disease than it's equal to being transgendered.

I think it's a problem (not a bad problem of course), since they have to take hormone replacement therapy, sex change surgery, fashion change, and a whole complete different societal view point of yourself. This amass to a ton of money over a life time, and is much more psychological than just being gay.

And being gay just means you like same sex. I don't see the relevance.

You can also be transgendered and be gay ( a male to female who likes females), or straight. This isn't about sexual orientation this is about what your sex and gender is.

20. Emberstone

But that kind of implies that all transgendered people knew from the moment they had their first memories that they were in the wrong body. From reading on EC, I have seen that practically everyone had to work to understanding their real identity, gay or transgendered. It seemed, alot of our transgendered members went through a period of discovery, when they discovered for themselves their truth.

I dont know, it almost seems like you are trying to divide people up into catagories. I never said a transgendered person has to be heterosexual, so I dont know where that is coming from, but not every transgendered or gay person knew they were transgendered or gay from early ages like we are seeing with Josie, and the growing understanding of people coming out even younger then people used to assume. We all are here for the most part to find a since of understanding about who we are.

And it is fairly impossible to discern the word 'problem' from its negative conatation, because it as a word is by nature a negative. Diagonsis, problem, defect, all are negative things used against people who are transgendered and/or gay. Discovery is a neutral word. it is up to the situation to define if it is a positive thing.

But at the end of the day, we shoudnt divide ourselves further. There are people who try to divide us from socieity and make us social outcasts...lets not through action or symantics divide ourselves further. United we stand... and all.