1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHS to Review Gay Blood Ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ben, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben

NHS lifetime ban on 'high-risk' gay men donating blood to be reviewed:
    Hopefully this means the rules will change soon. The comments on the article aren't all that positive though. But yay! :slight_smile:

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Things seem to be looking up! Hopefully it works out to our advantage.

3. ColdSnap

I used to be an avid blood donor up until, well, you know, but I know my blood is safe and I get checked out regularly so i'm glad it's being reviewed :slight_smile:

4. guacj

Why is it only unprotected sex with a prostitute? News Flash straight people can get aids too. It is not an orientation inclusive disease. I think that anyone who has had unprotected sex in the past year shouldn't be able to give blood. That means all the straight married people will know what it is like to have a basic right taken away because of who you are the life that you live!

5. Derek the Wolf

This reminds me I need to go donate blood. Remember *whispers* so far as they know I'm still a virgin.

6. littledinosaurs

I honestly hope the NHS decides to get rid of the ban cause i don't think i could handle everyone's reaction if they keep the ban.

7. Just Adam

i dont think much of the article...they have an opinion on why we arent all infectious monsters and then gives at the end which is the part peopel tend to remember facts and figures showing that gay men are the main hiv problem...

it really says nowhere that hiv and aids doesent go around going hmm thats a sin against nature and the bible lets get them...no its just an inffection/dissease and can effect anyone.

8. Elven

If they aren't arsed about wanting my blood then I shan't give it to them...

9. Amy

Amy

Huzzah! : D

Now only if we could do that over here. :]

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    here's hoping it will get overturned. While numbers do state an elevated risk for gay people, a lifetime ban really is pretty overblown.

You know, I've been thinking lately that if we can't get the ban overturned, we might just want to do some reverse psychology! Lobby to extend it! Make people who ever had sex with a prostitute, or in Africa, or ever used drugs be lifetime banned as well, and see how that goes down! :evil:

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yes this is wonderful, though anyone kind of realize, this is for the UK? I mean sure perhaps places will follow as time goes on, but seriously, great for UK, still sucks to be us in Canada and the States....

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Hopefully they open up blood donation to gays soon in the UK and still hopeful that the US does the same in a few years.

13. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

I really hope they remove the ban.