1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess who is having dinner with Evan Wolfson tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Nov 2, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so freaking excited I can hardly contain myself. lol

Don't know him? He's the leading advocate for marriage in the U.S.! He founded the organization Freedom to Marry and has been on every news station and every talk show there is talking about marriage equality. He's THE man! :slight_smile:

There are lots of youtube clips if you care to check him out.

Oh, and Time magazine named him one of the most 100 most influencial people in the world in 2004.

2. NickT

Lucky woman. >:| How I envy thee.

3. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, sounds amazing. I've never heard of him, but that's the UK for you XD

Let us know how it goes!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I had so much fun tonight! Dinner was great! Evan was very busy on his blackberry getting election results, ect. I did get the chance to ask him how he liked Oregon and he said he loved it. "it's so mountainous and beautiful." He's from NYC. After dinner we made our way to the venue where he was to speak. He gave a great inspirational speech. He said that it used to be that coming out was enough but we really need to have the conversations that change hearts and minds. He challenged us all to have at least three conversations with people about why "marriage matters". We're also going to make individual videos that we can share on facebook ect which is going to be great!

Anyway, he mentioned me in his speech but he forgot the name of my town. So he said "Becky...in a town near here." lol He came up to me afterward and apologized for forgetting my town. This man is doing GREAT work! I bought his book to read which gives talking points on marriage equality but he said you can get alot of the information at the website. www.freedomtomarry.org Check it out and have those conversations on why marriage matters to you!

One thing disappointed me. There were only a few gay men there. Most were women. Why aren't men more involved in this issue? I think there were more straight men than gay there.

5. 71390S

71390S Guest

It sounds like you had a great time!! ^_^