1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Bashing on the rise??

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Z3ni, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

2. Just Adam

linky no worky :frowning2:

appears teh article is down i clicked on teh link on teh bbc website it still no work>.>

useless tech...

but i wouldent worry as any minority rises through the politcal fog around teh world there will be those that strike out afraid and iggnorant..things alwlays get worse before better.

i wouldent worry about a nailbomb...double glazed windows wouldent hurt though haha...

*looks up bulletproof glass*

but really dont worry :slight_smile:

#2 Just Adam, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. Gaetan

African Americans were lynched, sprayed with fire hoses, and generally brutalized. Did they roll over and let everyone walk on them because of that? No.

And neither should we.

Your chances of getting hit by a nail bomb at a gay bar are far smaller than your chance to be struck by lighting. Or killed in a car accident.

4. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gaetan is right. There's very little chance you will be attacked.

But even if people are being attacked for expressing their homosexuality why should that stop us from expressing who we are?

Homophobes are like bullies. If you give in to the fear then you're just giving them what they want. Fight back and show them that we're here to stay and NOTHING they can do will crush us!!!!

Please don't let fear stop you from coming out. It postponed my coming out for two years, but the satisfaction you get from coming out and having someone to share your deepest secret with is definitely worth it.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the text, just in case some can't access this particular BBC site:

As it was mentioned above, you really have nothing to be too concerned about. Attacks against people happens every day. Even if you come out to your friends and others that you trust, you are still going to be safe. Keep living your life, and stay true to yourself.

One of the reasons why the figures have risen is the fact that more have come forward and continue doing so to report an assault. But overall, things seem to be improving.

6. Just Adam

so true, people are beeing more true to themselves and not living in the shadows like beeing lgbt is some seedy perveted evil thing that should be forced underground like teh people who do these attacks have tried to make us... people in the last couple of generations have said ..NO and are pushing lgbt life into the light and the peopel who tried to force us to hide that cant accept us and fear and dont understand attack us in many ways but we dont back down anymroe we get back up and keep moving forward and the cowards shall turn and retreat and they shall know the darkness many lgbt were forced to endure for tehy will find they have no place with their views in teh modern enlightened world....

ok that was a bit speechy...

*gets a rainbow flag and stand on a hill infront of lgbt warriors with rainbow glitter face paint*

"RAINBOW KNIGHTS...ATTACK!!!"

thats the power of lvoe...friends have each others back in life... :slight_smile:

----------

its really upsetting though to read that people are so afraid to express their lvoe in public....:frowning2:

will there ever be such a thing as equal...

the thign that scares me about all this equallity talk is people really think we are equal some actually think it and it scares me :frowning2:

society has a long way to go to accept us as the same, and as far as what the article says about trusting the police i dont as i think form past experience tehy are not capable....i want to see a document taht shows of all lgbt attacks how many were prosecuted i say very very low..:frowning2:

but teh worst thought i have is when govt comes into this...i watch them bitchign on pm'qs on a wednesday or at party confferences and tehy say with pride about civil partnership ...like we should be thankfull that they GIVE us this, liek its not our right but it isnt equal...jsut the name itself makes my stomach turn it sounds cold and uncareing... your commiting to be with someoen you love for the rest of your life not going into buisness together ffs..

so are attacks on the rise... a bit ...are we reporting more...yes...are we equal ... no ...are we close... i dont think so.... i think until people see things from more angles and think more not with their ehads but with hearts then... we will still be a minority in the sense of on teh outside.

but hey heres hopeing :slight_smile:

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

one word: education, that to me is where most people allow discrimination and support things like gay bashing. Their lack of education and understanding.

8. Just Adam

i dont really remember much homophobia back in school but...i agree education is important and i think it needs to start there... its hard though asit would so contrast with teh religious education....one side beeing gay is fien teh other thall shall not lie with a man...etc etc >.>

but i think there does need to be a social equality course ...soc for short haha

9. Darkwing65

The only gay bashing that's going to go on is me bashing some one for starting something. lol jk.

But seriously, you run the risk of getting hit by a bus when you walk out of your house. Does that make you stay home?

10. Just Adam

im tempted to stay....do we know when this bus is due?

11. Darkwing65

Yes. Between 6am and 5:45 am (!)

12. Brad

You can tell things are bad when people are to scared to show affection to their partners in public.

This could be a big cause. It may not be that there are a lot more crimes now but just that the amount of crimes reported has increased. So while it appears the number is on a big rise the rise may not be that big at all.

#12 Brad, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  13. Alexisxxx

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with you 100%.
    It does take courage to tell people about your sexual orientation especially if you feel they won't accept you but you do have a higher chance of getting hit by a car then getting hit because of being gay. This world has become such an ugly place since humans have come along.

14. Just Adam

ill stay in till 6 ..jsut incase its running late

15. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    If Tracey's Mom can get up the courage to leave her house and say she doesn't give a damn in Hairspray then so can we!

In all seriousness there will always be homophobes just like there will always be racists and bullys the important thing is we don't let them control our lives, we have nothing to be ashamed of it's them who are the vile ones

16. Just Adam

true and one day they will be where we are and they will find themselves teh outsiders trying to get it and society will have no place for tehm and their out dated views.

kinda sad for tehm really they cant see their inevitable demise :frowning2:

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's already been a killing of a gay man in Toronto (though no proof JUST yet it was cuz he was gay), and there were two bashings in my city just last month... so yeah I'd say it's getting unsafe out there.

18. calstad

You'll find me in the frontlines
    RWAAAARRR!!!!