1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fred Phelps back at it... close to home.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by xballetxbeautyx, Nov 4, 2009.

1. UGH. Dumbass. They're coming to my school on Friday. His website says:
    Okay, you know what? Yeah, some people dress nerdy. IT'S A PREP SCHOOL. Some girls dress slutty. WHAT HIGH SCHOOL DOESN'T HAVE SLUTS? And gangbangers? Wtf? And as for the retardation, it's one of the best schools around. So meh. :***:

Anyway, I've heard different things about how we're reacting. Apparently an email was sent out to the parents about there being no counter-protest, but everyone will stay inside, traffic will be directed away, and students are encouraged to stay late after school to wait for them to leave before crossing the street they'll be on. Another student (the president of our diversity club) told me we were planning some sort of fundraiser where for every minute they stay, we donate a certain amount of money for AIDS research. I don't know. I really hope we just don't all hide from them though. I'll post news soon!

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Don't let them get to you. That's what they want.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They send the loud inflammatory stuff just solely for the purpose of generating media coverage. And apparently about a third of the time, they don't even show up at all, even after sending press releases and such.

Though I have to say, whenever I hear of the Fred Phelps crowd, I am reminded of this fantastic Michael Moore episode from his short-lived TV show:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABH_RFeeGAs[/YOUTUBE]

4. AtomicCafe

One piece of advice: it bothers the WBC beyond belief to get no reaction. Whenever they visit my school, we just have people ignore them. They're left, clutching their sad little signs, feeling ignored because no one cares about their ignorance. Whatever happens, don't get the morons get to you!

5. Shevanel

Honestly, Chip, as funny as that is (And as much as I hate Michael Moore, I still find it funny) I think its kinda the wrong thing to do =/ Especially for him to have organized that =/ I dunno

6. Paragon

Paragon Guest

ahahhahahahahah fred phelps is H-I-LARI-O-U-S!
    funny guy... :grin:

7. Emberstone

for a man famous for sueing for huge ammounts of money because people ban them from the funenerals of their loved ones, it is quite hypocritical for mister *yay for church inbreeding since only 3 famlies make up his terrorcells, and they can only marry within the church cause it is a perve endtimes cult* to criticise people for spending money.

8. Alex19

i honestly can't stand this guy. he makes my skin crawl in a way that satan never could.

9. haelmarie

This sounds like good advice.

I also like the idea of an AIDS fundraiser.

10. Okay, so I went to the diversity club meeting today and we've come up with a plan. Some people, without consent or encouragement of the school, are arranging a counter-protest. But the club, administration, the "official" ruling- has decided that we are going to do a fundraiser but otherwise keep reaction to a minimal. There will be signups to pledge $1 to either a Matthew Shepard foundation or something do do with children of dead soldiers for every minute Fred and his gang are on campus. Also, we are all planning to wear white to represent peace, respect of each other, etc. And since Phelps will be between our school and our senior parking lot, all of the seniors are going to wait and walk over silently after school together, both for safety and to show that they won't get a reaction.

I think they've handled it well by turning it into something positive. And of course I'll be wearing my rainbow belt :slight_smile:

11. Emberstone

awww, but I liked the counter protest where all the guys, gay or straight,walked up next to them and started making out. if I had the money, I would shave my body, spray tan, and stand outside the entire time dancing like a idiot shirtless to a cd on repeat of the song a friend had me listen to that has the lyrics of "I'll take you to the gay bar..."

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't have a counter-protest, it's still reacting to them. Just ignore them :slight_smile:

13. CrimsonThunder

lol i really dont get what their point is.. They harass people and what do they want? People to join them or something? I really dont understand it. >.<

14. Emberstone

the church doesnt have open membership... At least, not since they started getting attention. There are like 90 members, and only three or four families. You cant marry outside the church. give it two or three generations and they will inbreed themselves into oblivian.

15. CrimsonThunder

Wouldnt you need more than 90 members to be considered a church/religion?

16. Emberstone

not really. expecially for end times perveret cults like the WBC. apperently shirley phelps roper is married and has fathered children with someone who technically is her second cousin... so its already begun.

17. Rygirl

That whole family makes me want to break something, I just get so angry about their ignorance, and how dare they insult the students of the school, who the hell do they think they are?

18. DexterMorgan

Wow, that quote makes them sound like bullies, doesn't it? That's what thy are! Butt hurt bullies with bottled up emotions. Just a theory.

19. Emberstone

they always sound butt-hurt...

They, aside from having no morals, chirstian or otherwise, lack basic cognative and social skills, which is common among cult churches. They tell themselves god loves only them, and they never grow up being contributing members of society.

20. They showed up! I was actually really glad they did, because that meant we got to have our fundraiser. I'm not sure how much money we raised yet, but it's going to be a lot. The student response was amazing- so many people wore white that the ones who didn't looked out of place.

There were only about five or six actual Phelps people with their normal signs, god hates you, america is doomed, GSA fags, etc. The number of students who went about their normal business was much greater than those who actually counter-protested. I did walk down to the counter-protest so I could read what the WBC signs said (they were pretty far away from our actual school) but I didn't yell anything or stay long.

Anyways, I think we handled it amazingly and I'm super excited to see how much we raised! :grin:

#20 xballetxbeautyx, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009