1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kicking off Marriage in Oregon

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Nov 5, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We're kicking off a campaign to educate the public on why marriage matters here in Oregon. We can't get marriage by any other way but a public vote so its going to take alot of work! Basic Rights Oregon put together this great video that I wanted to share with you all. We're also going to be making individual 1 minute videos saying why marriage matters. When I get mine made, I will post it here. Enjoy this!

[YOUTUBE]DkIw8hUCi9U[/YOUTUBE]

2. Just Adam

pretty moving :slight_smile:

allthough im not sure about gay xombies...but i shall remain open minded lol

cant wait to see yours :slight_smile:

hope it gets a positive reaction out there with the people :slight_smile:

3. coreyjazz23

The video was amazing, but I just want to know what that song was. And Adam, gay zombies would be so freakin' cool.

4. Just Adam

i dont liek zombies they freak me out lol ....cant we just have the gay bit?

5. coreyjazz23

yea, that would be nice too. So a large group of gays coming at us. Hot gays, too, might I add. I'll take that future.

6. Greggers

"I want a HOT butch" had to be the best one.

7. Just Adam

atleast she knew what she wants lol

----------

haha least id survive that apocalypse they all avoid me lol.

8. coreyjazz23

Aw. Don't feel down. They'd avoid me too. But that's ok. We'd still be alive. And I'm sure one of them would stop running and look back and see that you're what's been missing from his life. With all the gays, one would be bound to like you, right?

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it actually works this time, they can't do what they did in Maine because it was a vote that passed it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Just Adam

yea look back at me then turn zombie on me prob..nobody ever looks at me for a good reason...not in 21 years...

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That was Roey Thorpe. She used to be the Executive Director of Basic Rights Oregon. Now she works for Freedom to Marry. Love her, she has such a dynamic personality!

----------

The artist is Storm Large. She sings the vagina song. Ha, ha. Not sure what the name of this song is. You might be able to find it on youtube.

12. Emberstone

I had to pause a few times to see if I knew anyone. For a moment I thought one of the writing teachers at my college was in it, but at second glance it wasnt. But I know she is in a happy relationship with her wife *she dosent care if they cant legally marry, they consider themselves married regardless, which I think is great*.

13. s5m1

Becky, is there anything we can do to help? For those who want to donate to the campaign, to whom should we send our checks?

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Swish video. ^_^

How come marriage can only be achieved by a public vote in Oregon? I'm assuming it has a legislative system that is different from Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire?

15. Emberstone

I think the legislative route has failed a few times. Oregon is a example of a state that can be viewed as two regions. in the west, along the I'5 Corridor, you have huge concentrations, expecially in the willamette valley. it is democraticly leaning. go east accross the cascades, it leans more towards republican. Oregon may be considered a blue state in national elections, but we are purple state on the state level. legislative routes i dont think have worked well because of political divide in oregon. By putting it to vote, it is actually easier to get the pro gay marriage part of the state together for this, because, well, most live in the denser populated areas, where as the parts of the state more likely to be generally against gay marriage are more sparsly populated areas, and rural. There are some big cities in eastern oregon, but for the most part, it is fairly spread out.

If it comes to vote, I am coming out to all of my family. I want to humanize the issue for my right leaning family members. so either I find a guy I could see having a commited serious relationship with, or this goes to vote in oregon... either way, I am coming out.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Here's to hoping Oregon does the right thing in 2012

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oregon voters approved a ban on same-sex marriage with Measure 36. So we have to overturn that ban. It's already gone to the Supreme Court in Oregon and they won't reverse it so we have to do it by a vote.

----------

Basic Rights Oregon is our main gay rights organization here. I would suggest donating to them. Just go to their website to find out how.

www.basicrights.org

18. EM68

I love the video! It brought a tear to my eye. I makes meso proud to be from Massachustts!!

19. coreyjazz23

Just in case anyone was wondering, the song is "Halogen" by Storm Large.