1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York: November 10th

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It is rumored that the New York State Senate will finally vote on gay marriage Tuesday, November 10th in a special session. If they approve it, as did the Assembly already it will go to Governor Patterson's desk for signing.

For those in New York and even elsewhere please contact NY State Senators and lend a hand at Marriage Equality: New York's website.

2. Just Adam

if it reaches his desk how likelly is he to sign it?

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

He introduced it so it is absolutely certain he would, it's pretty much, the NY Senate's decision on this one and their fault if it doesn't pass.

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Has the curch hive been buzzing about this?
    If they have then here's a pediction. Hesigns it, it passes. Then the catholic church will begin to do that whole hypocrisy thing and try to overturn it. It gets overturned and they are back at square one.

I'm not giving up hope but we know to damn well how they work so whats being done to make sure it doesnt get overturend later?

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I'm curious too. I mean like why is it Iowa and Massachusetts and such haven't ever been overturn? There has to be a reason why Maine was a failure yet Mass. and Iowa is still fine.

6. Nodnarb

In Iowa, the only way to change the law is through the very difficult process of amending the state Constitution. The legislature needs to approve the amendment in two different sessions, and then it goes to a vote of the people. The Iowa legislature has large Democratic majorities in both houses, and the Speaker and Majority Leader have refused to allow a vote on the issue last session. As long as they stay in power, I don't see it even coming up for a vote. I am not as sure, but I believe Massachusetts has a similar process.

In Maine and California, all they had to do was get enough signatures to put it on the ballot.

7. ANightDude

Not only that, NOM was ready and prepaired for California and Maine. Iowa and Mass. were pretty suprising and out of the blue, for the most part.

8. Shevanel

Hopefully he won't end up signing the desk instead xD /endhorriblepartialblindnessjokes

But This'll probably be the only good thing Paterson will do, IF he does it, before we NY kicks him out in 2010, because he's like the worst Governor ever xD

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

True and if he fails, it will make him look worse. Cuomo is likely to be the next governor.

10. Shevanel

^ It'd be pretty rad if Bloomberg or Giuliani ran for Governor in '10

11. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is New York similar to Iowa, or are they more like California and Maine in regards to getting enough signatures to force a public vote? I sincerely hope they're more like Iowa in that regard. :slight_smile:

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um is Cuomo a democrat or is he someone who will threaten us.

13. Shevanel

Cuomo is a democrat. but Bloomberg would be better, he just got re-elected into NYC Mayor though, so he'd have to resign if he had plans on being Governor, which he says he doesn't. Bloomberg was a democrat, but then ran as a republican for NYC Mayor after Giuliani, is a great mayor, is more independent than anything, and supports Same Sex Marriage ^_^

PLEASE Don't think Democrat = The only people that are Good. That is horrible bias.

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Giuliani is a tool; I do like Bloomberg. He is concise and doesn't change..socially liberal and a bit of an economic conservative. I can never forgive Giuliani for some changes on gay stands....if it's him or Cuomo is 2010, I'll pick the Dem. As for Bloomberg, he is well liked in the city (most of my family lives in NY) and I plan on moving there after graduation.

15. Just Adam

that made me laugh hehe

"ok its signed now file it away"
    "but sir"
    "i said file it away !"
    "ok sir "
    " HEY! what you doing with my desk "
    " you said to file it away sir "
    >.>

16. Shevanel

Well, I'm fine with Giuliani's own personal views. He cleaned up NYC when he was Mayor, and he was a beloved mayor. Especially after 9/11. He did a lot. Everything isn't about the LGBT you know =/

17. Just Adam

still human rights though :wink: lol if your leaders cant get human rights...right <.< then how can they get the important things done

a house built on bad foundations will kill all inside XD lol

im a cheerys soul lol

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is true, but can you necessarily trust someone who changes his views like the wind. My family liked Giuliani as mayor and believe me most would keep it that way....

19. Emberstone

Well, no doubt the fundementalist far right christian psudofacists will fight this tooth and nail. I wish we still lived in a country that wasn't being destoryed by the attempts of fundementalists to install a state sanctioned religion.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I don't think all democrats are great. Just some lol.