1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mormon Church Supports New Anti-Discrimination Act

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tim, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gay_rights_mormons

Small steps forward are still steps forward <_<

2. Brad

These are the sort of religious people i don't mind. I understand why they would oppose gay marriage but they show that that doesn't mean they are against gays in general. They are against things that they believe are against or would harm their religion. Much better than those that try to use religion as a reason for homophobia.

Seriously? Almost 5 am.. Don't really need a laugh at the moment but wow.

#2 Brad, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    I agree that we have set a milestone in Utah. However, the success there is nothing outstanding or extraordinary once we consider it in the greater national context. Those rights are essential human/citizen rights. Sooner or later, they will have to recognize them or suffer full consequences of opposition to a social movement for equality (as in many historical examples): Mormons have already been singled out as "culprits" after Prop. 8, as you have read above. It is only politically (and philosophically) wise to openly give support and soothe the agitation of gay rights group aimed at the Church right now. One stone, two birds.
    As you can see. On a higher, long-term level, the Church is far from agreeing with gay marriage. Major motivation of religious or any other non-governmental organizations has to do with their benefits first. So be careful not to attribute this success fully to the Church's "generosity."

4. Amy

Amy

:eusa_clap
    Yay!
    This is really, really good progress for the Church.

I know, right?
    Uggg.

5. 1980WannaBe

1980WannaBe Guest

Ha this is funny. Not to long ago, I was chatting with a Mormon Missionary from their website and they were telling me I needed to change my sexual orientation and that if I didn't god would send me to hell.

6. Greggers

TBH, and not to rain on any parades here, it seems like they are just trying to get out of all the heat they are in for basically single handedly passing horrible anti-gay laws : - /

...but i dont thinkg throwing a cup of water on such a huge fire will do much. Not many people will be fooled into thinking LDS "supports" gay people now. Spending millions on Prop 8 is not "supporting" gay people. This is such an easy thing to say, much to the equivalent of "i dont hate gay people, some of my best friends are gay".

7. 71390S

71390S Guest

I have 2 thoughts.

1. Good for them, that is a very tiny step they are making and hopefully it's a telling sign of more acceptance.

2. The only reason they will ban discrimination against gays in housing is because it would be too outrageous to support it. It's still acceptable to be against gay marriage but not housing.

8. Adam

They are probably just doing that so they don't look so bad for supporting prop 8 last year and everything.

9. Emberstone

covering their asses... or at least trying to.

I personally think religion needs to get out of politics all together. It is destroying democracy, and the founding of this country with its intolerent hate.

Can you say michelle bachman of michigan comssioning a 40-60 foot banner showing jews being thrown into open grave pit after being gased to claim that this is what democrats are really doing with healthcare reform? She cant seem to go a week without opening her slutmouth to say something anti-semetic, homophobic, anti america, anti morality, anti goverment, anti-hispanic, anti-italian, anti-asian, anti-african american, anti-freedom, or Anti-3rd grade education.

Americas political decline can be easily traced by the upsurge in political fundementalist chirstian lobby groups.

politics used to be about working for the common good. now it is about fighting over whose god is the big man on the playground.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly think this is a complete and total scam.

They are looking for cover. I don't think they have the slightest interest in supporting rights for gay people, I think they would like it if gay people would shrivel up and die. Let's face it, they still excommunicate anyone who is gay from the church, and encourage the family to excommunicate their queer son or daughter. They are the single reason why the Boy Scouts throw out gay scouts and gay webmasters. (They are the majority funder of the Boy Scouts.)

This is not an organization that cares even slightly about gay rights, and this move is not made to do anything other than provide the illusion that the church is changing its ways, and to avoid further embarrassment.

I would like to see the IRS strip this organization of its charitable status. Apparently this almost happened before, when the Church refused to accept black people. But magically, a few days before the ruling was to go into force, the Mormon Living Prophet miraculously received a Divine Message from God telling him that the Church was now supposed to accept black people.

Go figure.

Perhaps if the IRS does that over the gay marriage thing, the Red Phone to God will ring again :slight_smile:

#10 Chip, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  11. RaeofLite

What the hell??!? Aren't these the people that moved into California and gathered support from Cali's neighbouring states to vote yes on Prop8 when it wasn't even their state?? Am I right?

Jeez... what a stupid world... I only hope that this is their true idea and that they will hopefully realize their horrible mistake about Prop 8.

12. 71390S

71390S Guest

I totally agree it is a cover.

LDS has tons of "ex gay" programs. BEING gay doesn't have to do with marriage (just as much as being gay and working has nothing to do with marriage) but here they are trying to change us. Gross.

13. Emberstone

They also are feirce opponants to gays having the rights to have children, either through insemination, surrogate, or adoption.

They do not run themselves or act like a religion in a traditional sense of the word religion. they run themselves like a lobbyest group.

14. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is a total "cover-our-asses" move. Let's see, they poured money into Prop 8 which stripped gays of the basic right of marriage. But uh-oh, the gays are justifiably pissed and people are siding with them, we better try to make this small-as-shit amends offer. Sigh, whatever. I suppose it's good that there has been this modicrom of advancement within the Mormon church, but it just small pittance compared to what they've done to us. Kicking gays out of their churches just for being gay, supporting Prop H8 which stripped gays of the right to marry in California, and supprting "ex-gay" therapy which any good psychologist will tell you does not work, and has proven to be psychologically scarring.

What a cop-out. It's a gesture at least, but the Mormon church can still kiss my big gay ass.

15. Emberstone

Do they really think that this is going to endear them to anyone but the people who already think what they did in prop 8 was great?

if the are trying to win the rest of the people over, they are incredibly nieve.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're hypocrites, plain and simple.

17. Emberstone

Preaching to the Choir.

When I was little, my grandparents too my brother and me through parts of the western states *rushmore, crazy horse, nebraska (god, that was a boring drive), and we went through utah* and we visited the LDS temple complex.I was like 5, and I was so upset about how mean it was in my mind. They built this big temple church, but woman werent allowed in unless they were married and had permission from the church and their husbands. How they had this huge geneology database, which claimed that all my ancestors were actually mormons, but because my parents were not mormon, then I cant go to heaven. The freaky 12 foot tall statue of jesus that insinuated that non mormons were not true christians.

I think my grandparents regretted that part of our trip.

18. Adam

^LOL yes Nebraska is one of the most boring drives ever, and I have driven across it sooooo many times -_-