1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Adam, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Adam

2. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

omggggg when will people just learn to ignore the people they dont like? hey, if i can do it and the majority of teenagers can do it, why cant adults?

3. haelmarie

How mature of them.

4. Jim1454

It's good to see the city isn't likely going to cave on this...

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Church/State separation. If the church wants public money, but doesn't want to follow terms outlined by the gov't, then good riddance.

6. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me see if I understand this. They're threatening to stop their charity programs because the city will not allow them to discriminate against gay people because of their religious beliefs? Also, their argument is that they don't want to be forced to help people that they feel is against their religion to help, like helping a gay couple adopt?

I can somewhat understand their argument. As far as they are concerned, their charity work is part of their faith and considered church work. Now they are being told that if they want to give their charity, they have to help with things that they consider against their religion. They feel like they are being forced to decide between charity work and their faith. I don't agree with their attitudes against gay people, but I can understand not wanting to be forced to live their faith a certain way by outsiders.

I understand their dilema, but it is not worth abandoning everyone else they were helping for an argument that really only applies to a couple of very specific situations. They really need to get their priorities straight.

7. paint

How can they just abandon people like that?

8. Charme

Charme Guest

Our orphanages aren't full yet and the number of distraught homeless people aren't high enough. The Catholic Church is just trying to increase the numbers until they're satisfied.

#8 Charme, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  9. Silvermark

Pretty much this.

10. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's a real mature stance for them to take. Hhhmm, we're not getting what we want, so let's just pulll out of charity all-together. God forbid we gotta help one those homos! That's so "lovely" of them. :angry:

I already said this about the Mormon church, but this Catholic church can kissmy big gay ass too. Pucker up!

11. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we rewrite the articles and substitute "homosexuals" with "blacks" and "same-sex couples" with "interracial couples" do think it'd better illustrate the discrimination to those who are, well, stupid?

As far as Catholic Charities go, revoke their 501(c)(3) status and start assessing income and property taxes.

I've had enough of religious institutions dictating public policy.

The moment they stick their fingers into politics or public policy, yank the tax-exempt status.

growl

12. haelmarie

Oh please. They offer a service and get little to no thanks for it; they take it away and we're screaming about how evil and depraved those Catholic sadists are, torturing our homeless, etc. (where did the orphanage reference even enter the picture? I can't find any reference to orphanages in the article.)

It's infantile and showcases the bullying tendencies of the catholic church (just be thankful it isn't the middle ages!), but don't stoop down to that level with such a nonsensical comment.

13. Silvermark

I suppose we shouldn't go down to their level, but thats pretty much the church's mentality on it.
    Oh no! We can't have our way with discriminating against homosexuals, therefore we'll instantly pull all of our community support and let the homeless die. Just to teach these gays a lesson.

I agree with L|L, if the Church wants to get up in arms about something that everyone else seems to accept okay; pull their comfy tax-exempt rug from underneath them.

14. Charme

Charme Guest

They are expected to do crap from the bottom of their hearts without expecting to be thanked. They are expected to do it because it makes them feel better about themselves, not for an ulterior motive. I'm assuming it has something to do with orphanages since they help with adoption. I may be wrong but I stand by my very low opinion of the Catholic Church.

I enjoy being in the level of nonsense and irrelevance. I'm young and I'm entitled to my stupid opinions. This coming from a Catholic.

From an organization that's based on helping people, it's pretty stupid of them to stop helping people because the government chooses to side with someone they disagree with.

15. RaeofLite

Wow...

(Hey, 311! I love the song Amber. :slight_smile: )

16. Gaetan

I think the one council member's opinion, that the church is being childish, is very apt.

17. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I say screw them....they want to downsize their church by all means do it.

18. Adam

311 is my favorite! I am seeing them in 2 days for my 7th time hehe :grin:

19. haelmarie

And so therefore we have no real right to complain when they revoke this service because at least they offered it first. Their motives are irrelevant to this discussion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see you running a chain of charitable organizations.

This is no defence. Being young does not excuse you from thinking properly (I'm younger than you?) and have gone to a Catholic school for the past 12 years of my life.

You are never, ever "entitled" to spread libellous convictions like Catholics are "just trying to increase the numbers until they're satisfied." If a Catholic said something offensive to gays like that, you'd probably be complaining about it.

And I agree. It exposes their totalitarian tendencies and their sham of selflessness for what it really is, tickets to heaven. But you can't go spreading barefaced lies about them and not expect to be corrected.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

Sad that charity and those who are at a disadvantage are being used as political pawns to oppress GLBT individuals.