1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Refuses to Say Pledge

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gaetan, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Gaetan

http://www.arktimes.com/articles/articleviewer.aspx?ArticleID=2f5d7a3b-c72a-446b-8d20-3823aa79c021

Original article:
    I like this kid. :grin:
    He's going to make a great lawyer.

2. Charme

Charme Guest

That's one bright kid!

3. Zero Beat

wow, coool. He is a smart kid.

4. Amy

Amy

I love this kid.

5. NickT

This kid's amazing! O_O

6. Time

He's from Arkansas? I'm shocked. He done us proud. -toothy grin-

7. Roralo

Roralo Guest

As proud and impressed I am of this kid, I still think he should stand for the pledge. Stand so that, in hope of equality and liberty for all, he may able to work towards that goal. Standing for the pledge is a sign of respect and honor to a nation.

8. Shevanel

I'd agree.

9. Brandford

Wow, brilliant, I love this, maybe the generation after ours will be end of the ignorance. Im so glad that I now know I don't have to stand for the pledge anymore cause it was really getting on my nerves. Though I've always refused to stand up straight or put my hand on my heard, or even stand toward the flag.Plus over my years I have lost most if not all respect for this country and will be moving when I get the chance. I think since my first period teacher is a government and politics teacher, he wouldnt dare argue with me:grin:.

10. Emberstone

What he is saying is not that the pledge is bad... it is that the nation is fighting to do everything in it's power not to live up to the ideal the pledge tries to embody. "Liberty and justice for all" is something he wants to pledge himself to, but there are people in the world who will stop at nothing to keep 'liberty and justice for all' from happening.

Case in point, alot of the outright negative and abusive comments in the articles comment section. It show the hate that is pervasive in the world today, hatred in contradiction to what the pledge, the founding of this country, and the ideals of the founding fathers were feircely for.

like the bible, some people just dont give a flying monkey crap about what is actually written, and instead, only acknowledge the things that make them feel superiour. the pledge is suposed to remind us of the ideals we are to be fighting for... but some people just dont care it seem.

11. RaeofLite

After a few minutes, I said, ‘With all due respect, ma'am, you can go jump off a bridge.'

*applauds him*

I'd do the same thing. Awesome kid. And his parents seemed to raise him right too to respect everyone. :grin:

12. Emberstone

I would never have had the nerve to tell my teacher something like that.

13. RaeofLite

*shrug* well I was the one that said "no", when my teacher told me to shutup some of the time. So she picked me up in kindergarten and put me outside. Hee... (!) (Yes I know that kid isn't in kindergarten, but still). Saying the allegiance or being patriotic to your country is a choice. Just like freedom of speech is (or should be).

14. djt820

Awesome! Im surpisingly happy for this kid. Brought a smile to my face and he's totally right. I dont stand for the pledge myself and Ive had many teachers get angry at me as did this teacher with this kid. So I applaud him for his effort.
    ‘With all due respect, ma'am, you can go jump off a bridge.'
    I read that part as if one of the kids in the Peanuts was saying it to the teacher XD

15. Brad

I wish i would of had the balls he has at his age. Not only that but his intelligence as well. As i am not an American i don't know much about the Pledge of Allegiance however it is quite obvious that he does. He is standing up for what he believes is right. You can't be anything other than extremely proud of that. If i was an American it would be things like this that would make me proud to be an American. A kid standing up for what the country is supposed to be all about and not backing down even when there is pressure from authority figures (his teacher) or his peers.

Obviously a lot of this comes from his parents raising him to do what he thinks is right and their support with this decision is important.

16. starfish

Good for him. :thumbsup:

Back in school I also refused to say the pledge of allegiance. As I find it morally objectionable. No one ever said anything to me about it. Don't know what I would have done if they did, as unlike this kid I would not have had my parents backing me up.

17. But if he stood up, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. He made a point by doing nothing at all, and an entire nation noticed.

Bravo, kid. Bravo.

18. Nugget

'With all due respect, ma'am, you can go jump off a bridge.'

PWN'D. :grin:

19. mattypants

my new hero :slight_smile:

20. Lychee

The link doesn't work for me :frowning2:
    Can someone post the article here?