1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still-Gay-Ex-Gay Ted Haggard Was Never Anti-Gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://thinkprogress.org/2009/11/13/ted-haggard-launches-comebac/

Before resigning in disgrace after a three-year relationship with a male prostitute, Ted Haggard was one of the Christian Right’s most powerful figures — president of the National Association of Evangelicals and a close confidante of the Bush White House. Haggard, now purportedly “completely heterosexual,” hosted a prayer meeting at his Colorado home last night in an attempt to mount a comeback, attracting 110 people. Saying “America loves a scandal, but they love a comeback even more,” Haggard argued he can redeem himself in part because he was never a “hateful, anti-gay guy”:

“I was always well aware of my own personal struggles, but my desire was to be more Godly,” said Haggard. “I was never a religious right, hateful, anti-gay guy — secretly running off, except right at the end. I’d say right at the end, before the crisis. That did develop a little bit stronger.” [...]

“It was good for me to go through the Christian hatred of people believing that I was a gay man — and hating me so strongly because of it. And so because of it, my compassion for the homosexual community has gone up incredibly,” said Haggard.

Haggard has experienced what it’s like to be on the receiving end of “Christian hatred,” and it’s reassuring to know that he now has more “compassion” for gay men and women. But despite his claims, he was responsible for dishing out this hatred for many years.

Haggard catered to the Christian Right’s demonization of gays, calling homosexuality a “sin” and arguing, “We don’t have to debate about what we should think about homosexual activity, it’s written in the Bible.” Haggard also said that Western civilization could be devastated by same-sex marriage:

“[W]e need the Federal Marriage Amendment is for the sake of children. … It would be devastating for the children of our nation and for the future of Western civilization for us to say that homosexual unions or lesbian unions or any alteration of that has the moral equivalence of a heterosexual, monogamous marriage.”

lol, what a pathetic excuse for a human being.

2. Just Adam

so hes an ass that would sell his people down the river for power because hes so stuck in teh closet hes upside down hanging himslef with a narnia coat...

i dont know how you could come out of a long term rlationship with a male prostitute then preach about the sanctity of a healthy mono relationship ...its like >.> wtf

even teh religious nuts that think all lgbt people should be shot for just beeing in teh same city as other people would ignore this guy as he makes no sense he is pure contradiction...i think them 100 people had to be drugged.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    and, of course, he's about as ex-gay as, oh, Elton John... just will be more careful about getting caught next time :slight_smile:

I think this has nothing to do with a desire to serve God and everything to do with the fact that he couldn't make big bucks doing anything else. I remember reading that he tried to be a real estate salesman or something after he was "cured" and I'm sure he got tired of actually having to work for a living :slight_smile:

4. Just Adam

well yea its easier to persecute than really work its amaizing what some peopel will pay to see someone say what they havent got the guts too.

hes gonna be one of these people who picks some hot young guy and say " your a promising pupil" or some shit and offers a private meeting >.>

5. Emberstone

the problem was, he was a hateful anti-gay preacher. he preached alot of hate and intolerence towards gay when he helmed that mega church of his before they booted him.

I obviously dont have problems with gay people, being gay myself. I do however have problems with hypocrites.