1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA help...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by justbeingme, Nov 17, 2009.

1. justbeingme

So everything is going pretty well concerning me starting a GSA at my school. More than likely it will be approved by Dec. 7th (happy holidays to moi), but the sponsors and I wan to start planning possible meeting topics and activities, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas that aren't on the California GSA Network site that could be used in Kansas without *completely* enticing the local conservative backlash than we already are?

2. AtomicCafe

I'm way too lazy to look at the GSA Network site again (sorry, I'm a bum -- too much homework), but the GSA I used to be in -- which was in a small community that was mostly conservative and narrow-minded -- focused a lot on the students who didn't get relief from home when it came to being LGBT, rather than taking matters out to the community. For example:

- "Group therapy," where you guys can just talk and support each other
    - Second Chance Prom (gay couples welcome!)
    - Gender Bending Ball (another prom-type idea but focusing more on the T)
    - Any sort of book/movie group focusing on LGBT media. I know that, when I started coming out, I couldn't get enough of that stuff. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Emberstone

At my college, our GSA does a wide varity.

Game days, where we just play games and have fun.

We are watching a movie this week and next week called 'Saving Face'.

We discuss news relating to civil rights and gay issues.

We are planning sometime to hold a community discussion, possiby next term, after one of ur GSA staff leaders read from her coming out Memior, and the student paper did a article on it, and one of the comments was "I am not a fan of the gays and the lesbians, so I dont think I would ever touch one of her books", and the coordinator of the diversity center on campus where we met wants us to use the article as a opertunity to open discussion among students about additudes towards minorities, and how we can foster more open understanding.

I also think we are going to be going on a bowling trip to blow off steam finals week and just have fun before we leave for christmas break.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't have any great ideas I just want to congratulate you on your GSA! In Kansas, no less. Good for you!