1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartwarming ad from Kellogs - or is it?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Nov 20, 2009.

?

Do you think this ad is positive?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I cant tell.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Greggers

[​IMG]

This is a Kellogs Frosted Flakes ad from Brazil, where it is called something else. At first i thought the ad was amazing! Being a kid who wanted to play with dolls when he was little but got reprimanded by his parents for doing so, it hit home. "The Important Thing Is To Be Healthy". Its a good message i thought. Very strong, yet very simple.

Then i started looking into more, maybe too much. Could they possibly be saying "Well, as long as hes healthy, it does not matter as much that hes bat-shit crazy gay". I dont think so, but at the same time, who knows. Its only one picture.

...But then i saw the other picture.

[​IMG]

Does that seem like the counter-part to the boy playing with dolls? The girl who does not doll herself up for pageants? Or is it simply saying "Your daughter looks like a screaming banshee, but shes healthy so thats all right".

What do YOU guys think? Poll going up! Post more below!

----------

*if someone wants to fix the title, i added an extra d, that would be great. Ty mods?

2. mattypants

HAHAHA stream line banshee :roflmao:

as for pos/neg

im a bit meh

3. Hoppip

I think both of them are equally heartwarming. The first sends me the message to be myself, and the second sends me the message that beauty isn't everything. I think the second even ridicules the pageant-esque mentality that some people have.

Both of them are not only adorable, but also saved to my hard drive. :')

4. AtomicCafe

I actually really like them both. :grin: And I can relate to both -- I've never been one to doll myself up (mostly because I was an extremely homely -- or rather, hideous -- child and never got into the habit), and I've never quite followed my gender norms. And to see Kellogs addressing those of us who are a little different? Great!

5. -Michael-

Neg.

It's basically saying.

Oh well, you're son may be a freak and act like a girl.
    But at least he's healthy...there's ONE good thing...right?

6. Emberstone

Good thing I exclusively eat Malt-o-meal blueberry muffintop cereal...

7. Greggers

So far it seems people are equality split, interesting...

I still cant tell! I want it to be positive, but i can argue both sides.

8. Ben

Ben

Child beauty pageants are vile. Actually all beauty pageants are vile.
    It's saying that the the girl doesn't fit into that destructive and superficial organization, but it doesn't matter because she has her health. I doubt a business like Kellogg's would endorse the prospect of child pageants and put emphasis on beauty as necessary; I think it's far more likely that they would speak against patriarchy and shallow emphasis on beauty than endorse them.

It might be easier if we had someone who speaks Brazilian Portuguese to translate accurately the original text, whatever that is.

9. Greggers

These are the actual ads Ben :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. olides84

I look at them as both positive. Saying the "important thing is to be healthy" (by eating frosted flakes presumably) is also saying that it is NOT important that the kids are different--e.g., boy playing with dolls and girl not getting dolled up.

Kinda deep for an ad about frosted flakes. Why isn't Tony the Tiger still the star :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Ben

Ben

Oh I thought they'd been translated into English~
    How odd

12. riddlerno1

i clicked yes but now im not so sure!! Maybe if the ads said "The important thing is to be yourself" it would have been better.

13. Just Adam

i cant tell :S i dont think its good or bad its just anotehr shit tv ad for a cereral that makes no sense.

14. Brad

Well i see the first ad as "As long as he is healthy it doesn't matter what he plays with" and the 2nd ad as "It doesn't matter if you are not the prettiest person as long as you are healthy".

I see it as sending the write message although as always it is up for interpretation.

15. Étoile

These ads are saying, "So what if your child's different than the other boys or girls? Accept them for who they are. At least they have their health- by eating Frosted Flakes cereal, part of a nutritious, balanced breakfast!" LOL I don't see how this could be negative at all.

16. Emberstone

It is subtle, and can go either way. I voted negative, because, expecially with the second one, it is basically devaluing the girl in my mind because she doesnt fit in the the barbie gang.

with the first one, we dont know the context. i had a friend who used to play with his sisters barbies... but not in the way a girl might be expected to... more like "godzilla, please, please dont eat ken! I need him to hold my purse while I go to the bathroom!!!" "Well, barbie, too late. he is in my stomach... mmmmmm... taste like chicken."

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It depends on the subjective interpretation. It's a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kind of thing. I don't see it as negative or positive.

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the positivity or negativity will depend on the opinion of the individual reading the ad. because of that, they're both very well made ads.

19. Emberstone

I really hate the second one.

Dont feel sad little girl... maybe it is better you didnt beg your mommy for botox injections for your birthday...

20. Possibly Maybe

I tried to find the original brasilian adds, but there are nowhere to be seen. All i found was the other adds, there's one called 'classroom' and another one called 'hair cut'. the campaign is called "it's important thing".