1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D.C. Gets Gay Marriage In January?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    D.C. Likely To Get Same-Sex Marriage in January
    By Rex Wockner
    Published: November 19, 2009

Same-sex marriage is expected to become legal in the District of Columbia in January. The bill to legalize it passed the D.C. Council’s Committee on Public Safety & Judiciary on Nov. 10 and now heads to the full Council where 10 of the 13 members are cosponsors of the measure. A full Council vote is expected Dec. 1.

Mayor Adrian Fenty has said he will sign the bill into law. At that point, the bill will advance to the U.S. Congress for a 30-day review period. Congress is not expected to make any move to block the bill’s becoming law.

In New York, meanwhile, Gov. David Paterson said Nov. 10 that the state Senate will vote before year’s end on the bill to legalize same-sex marriage there. The measure already passed the Assembly and, should it pass the Senate, Paterson plans to sign it into law. At press time, it was not clear if there are enough yes votes in the 62-member Senate.

In New Jersey, there is a scramble to pass a same-sex marriage bill before Gov. Jon Corzine, who supports same-sex marriage, leaves office in January. Corzine lost his re-election bid Nov. 3 to Chris Christie, who opposes same-sex marriage.

Reports say a vote in the Legislature would be close. Although both the Assembly and Senate have Democratic majorities, not every Democrat would vote for same-sex marriage and the bill needs some Republican support.

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Here is to hopes Congress does not interfere with the DC vote that will surely pass in two weeks.

I also have high hopes for New Jersey where it seems that if placed to a vote it will pass---this is where the biggest pressure should be emphasized at the moment because if it doesn't pass it will be four years till we have a chance again thanks to the election of Christie.

As for New York, still hopeful, but not optomistic.

3. Gaetan

For once, I hope that there isn't a huge spotlight shined on gay marriage as the DC bill sneaks through congress.

"If the nation's capitol falls to the heathens, so to will the nation!" said the right wing conservatives.

4. Emberstone

i think that might be wishful hoping.

lets hope that there is enough support. remeber, olympia snowe, if i remeber correctly, is pro gay marriage last i heard. we just need to worry about the senete.

5. RaeofLite

No offense, but I think it fell to the heathens a long time ago... with allowing differing states such extremists and different rules such as being able to bear arms (wtf, why do you need a gun? This isn't the 1800s and we aren't riding around on horses chasing after our cotton picking slaves). But that's just my opinion so please don't take offense.

6. Emberstone

prohibition didnt stop booze consumption... gun law wont keep guns out of the hands of criminals... and not allowing us to marry will not stop us from being in commited relationship.

politics suck ass.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget one of my other articles, this won't go to popular vote. Once it's law, it's law :grin:

8. Étoile

I really hope this makes it through. I don't want to deal with another defeat.

9. Emberstone

I hope it passes too.

My theory for why conservatives almost ovewhelmingly are against this is mainly because if it passes, and the world doesnt come to a end, or children dont start getting recruited, or the econamy doesnt collapse because gays are allowed to marry, they will have to admit they were wrong, judgemental, and intollerent.

In the poetic but paraphrased words of jk rowling "dumbledore says it is easier for people to admit that they were wrong than it was for people to admit someone else was right."